The Student Room Group

Do white people feel that it’s unfair they can’t use the N word??

I’ve had people come up to me asking if they can call me the N word ...now i’d understand if I used the word or listened to music with that word in it but I don’t ... Then went I say no then I get people complaining that it’s just a word???!!! Then they say it’s racist that white ppl can’t say the word but black ppl can ?? Like what ??? My question is do white people really feel that they are being unfairly treated because they cannot say the N word??? If so why ?? It’s a racial slur ??? Why on God’s green earth would u want to say it to a black person in the first place ??? As 4 black ppl using it I have no clue why I guess it’s because it developed as a coping mechanism when society used to put out racist propaganda against us so it’s meant to soften the blow ... idk . What is with the fascination with this word?!!? Out of all the words in the English language??? Like I’ve heard ASAINS make fun of their eyes but obviously i can’t because I’m not Asian ... I’ve gad gay ppl say that all gays must burn in hell but I obviously can’t Cos I ain’t gay... heck I had a chinese girl complain that the Chinese ppl were invading my university and I died of laughter.... I don’t understand . Now I get afraid when I make friends with ppl afraid that they will bring this topic up and start bashing me ... or if I bring up anything to do with black ppl or Africa they will insult it ... this has happened many times? Is it normal? Are ppl really like this ? Am I fretting over nothing ?

Scroll to see replies

No
White people can use the N word and some do; there’s no law saying only black people have the right to utter it.

Black people themselves should really stop using the word if it’s so offensive when said by someone else. That way it’ll fall out of use.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
White people can use the N word and some do; there’s no law saying only black people have the right to utter it.

Black people themselves should really stop using the word if it’s so offensive when used by someone else. That way it’ll fall out of use.

Can’t disagree with that . But not all of us use the word for example me. So I’m trying to figure out why some ppl are so pressed to call me a word I never use ? That’s what confuses me .
I mean it’s not seen as socially acceptable for it to be said... I’d actually rather ppl didn’t use it and there are many black ppl like me but we are not a hive mind there are so many of us everywhere it’s impossible to control who says what ... Like I can’t say that white ppl should stop being racist Cos not all of u guys are ... it’s the same thing . We are all individuals.
(edited 5 years ago)
no, I don't think its unfair - just stupid that some black people still use it.

In an ideal world, I don't think anyone should use words that are historically awful.

the whole 'you cant use this word.. but we can... we can say it when ever we want - but you cant! if you do, your awful!' - is a power-play, pure and simple. Its not a significant one at all, but its a small way of using language to assert some control.
Original post by fallen_acorns

In an ideal world, I don't think anyone should use words that are historically awful.

the whole 'you cant use this word.. but we can... we can say it when ever we want - but you cant! if you do, your awful!' - is a power-play, pure and simple. Its not a significant one at all, but its a small way of using language to assert some control.

Fair enough thanks for ur input 😊.
I can use it as far as i'm aware, I just socially choose not to.
No I see no reason to use it at all
What? Random people just come up to you and ask if they can call you the N word? I've never hear of this happening, ever. Tell them no.

No I mean in school I have had classmates ask me this and I don’t understand why ?
What? Random people just come up to you and ask if they can call you the N word? I've never hear of this happening, ever. Tell them no.

No I mean in school I have had classmates ask me this and I don’t understand why ?

Well...I wouldn’t blame someone for looking at u funny for saying the N word...it’s still a racial slur ...even if it’s in a song I don’t say it ...so it really can’t be that hard not to say it ... it’s a really sensitive word and I don’t think in any context it could be justified like calling ur mum a b*tch ... like I can sort of tolerate when black ppl say it but I still dislike it.

Fair enough thanks for ur input 😊.
Well that's just disrespectful and probably racist. How could they possibly not be aware of that?

THATS WHY IM ASKING THIS QUESTION 😂😂😂😂. Do people not understand the word? Are ppl misunderstanding? My question isn’t to debate if anyone should use the word ( that’s very opinionated and I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer it just causes a debate that goes on forever 🙄🙄🙄) or not but to figure out why ppl do this to me 😂😂😂. The topic of this thread has kinda gone in the wrong direction which is really my fault for not being clear .
It’s still a really strong word that why ppl don’t like it ...i’m just telling u how ppl feel about it you can take it or leave it 🤷🏽*♀️. Like a girl asked to rap for me and she said it and it shocked me I politely asked her not to use it as it made me uncomfortable and she had a full on hissy fit on me... which is absolutely nonsensical as the words target would be me anyways... so to avoid offence I’d advise against it ...it’s just seems a little unwise to use the word regardless and a little culturally insensitive. 🤷🏽*♀️I fully understand ur perspective and I probably see it just like any other curse word but a lot of black ppl it feels personal
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BubbleBabby

I would say that calls for a punch in the face! They are clearly just being little twits :wink:

Black people themselves should really stop using the word if it’s so offensive when said by someone else. That way it’ll fall out of use.

It's a term of endearment among black people to mean friend that's why. If a white person were to use the word it would be considered racism because of the history behind the word with white people.
Original post by BubbleBabby
I’ve had people come up to me asking if they can call me the N word ...now i’d understand if I used the word or listened to music with that word in it but I don’t ... Then went I say no then I get people complaining that it’s just a word???!!! Then they say it’s racist that white ppl can’t say the word but black ppl can ?? Like what ??? My question is do white people really feel that they are being unfairly treated because they cannot say the N word??? If so why ?? It’s a racial slur ??? Why on God’s green earth would u want to say it to a black person in the first place ??? As 4 black ppl using it I have no clue why I guess it’s because it developed as a coping mechanism when society used to put out racist propaganda against us so it’s meant to soften the blow ... idk . What is with the fascination with this word?!!? Out of all the words in the English language??? Like I’ve heard ASAINS make fun of their eyes but obviously i can’t because I’m not Asian ... I’ve gad gay ppl say that all gays must burn in hell but I obviously can’t Cos I ain’t gay... heck I had a chinese girl complain that the Chinese ppl were invading my university and I died of laughter.... I don’t understand . Now I get afraid when I make friends with ppl afraid that they will bring this topic up and start bashing me ... or if I bring up anything to do with black ppl or Africa they will insult it ... this has happened many times? Is it normal? Are ppl really like this ? Am I fretting over nothing ?

It's just a word. Like a friendly nickname. **** all this political correctness ********

thats not really a fair thing to say, why do we have to stick to what happened in the history when using certain words, why cant people just move on? literally no one who says ****** actually means to call that person a black slave, words change meaning over time but it for some reason people cant accept the change of words that were bad in the past, you dont hear anyone complaining about words like gay changing from happy to homosexual, and rightly so, so why is it different when the previous word was a bad word? surely you should be glad that we are using that word in a different meaning? and also, please dont tell me you believe context doesnt matter..
Original post by RobertoBaggio
I If a white person were to use the word it would be considered racism because of the history behind the word with white people.

so youre saying only white people can be racist. if i was black and was racist to black people - i couldnt say well its not racist because im black... it doesnt matter, youre still being racist to the other black people that exist, stop being so self-centered. if you are against words like ******, you should be against derogatory words like ****** etc (probably wont show because of filter, but a word beginning with f and ending in t). all words have history, they are either all ok, or none ok, you cant just choose a middle ground because youre scared of offending people
can i use it in like karaoke? i really like kanye, 2pac etc. i am brown, if it makes it any better...
Original post by Gent2324
so youre saying only white people can be racist. if i was black and was racist to black people - i couldnt say well its not racist because im black... it doesnt matter, youre still being racist to the other black people that exist, stop being so self-centered. if you are against words like ******, you should be against derogatory words like ****** etc (probably wont show because of filter, but a word beginning with f and ending in t). all words have history, they are either all ok, or none ok, you cant just choose a middle ground because youre scared of offending people

Lol. Why tf are you so triggered?

I am not holding any "ground". I am just saying why black people use the word. Anyway I am white so I don't even use the word.
Original post by RobertoBaggio
Lol. Why tf are you so triggered?

I am not holding any "ground". I am just saying why black people use the word. Anyway I am white so I don't even use the word.

im not triggered its just slightly annoying that people put so much value on just a simple word that doesnt mean anything. youre acting as if your race defines whether you are allowed to use a certain word, which is racist in itself...

Quick Reply

Latest