The Student Room Group

Do white people feel that it’s unfair they can’t use the N word??

Scroll to see replies

I think it would be better if noone said it
Reply 61
Well nobody should be saying the N word in the first place...
Yes it is racist if black people say it too, but I guess whoevers hearing it won't feel as bad becasue they know its a joke as its coming from a fellow black person.
If a white person says the N words its automatically wrong.
Idk why its is I guess its called double standards but thats how the world is working right now so don't say it.
No, but i don't see why blacks should feel more entitled to say it.
Either its a slur or not. If people are trying to 'reclaim it' then dont whinge if its use becomes universal.
I personally think it should be allowed to die in the past like the slur it is. No-one should be using it.
Reply 64
I'm Korean and even when another Asian person tells me I'm 'yellow' I feel offended no matter how close they are.
Racial comments are just unacceptable (personally for me) becasue it means that you are bing automatically tagged by your appearance.
no, it's not unfair. it's derogatory towards black people and therefore only black people can use it.
white people don't "own" the word, and anyone that is offended by not being able to use the word is being petty and disgusting.
Original post by BubbleBabby
I’ve had people come up to me asking if they can call me the N word ...now i’d understand if I used the word or listened to music with that word in it but I don’t ... Then went I say no then I get people complaining that it’s just a word???!!! Then they say it’s racist that white ppl can’t say the word but black ppl can ?? Like what ??? My question is do white people really feel that they are being unfairly treated because they cannot say the N word??? If so why ?? It’s a racial slur ??? Why on God’s green earth would u want to say it to a black person in the first place ??? As 4 black ppl using it I have no clue why I guess it’s because it developed as a coping mechanism when society used to put out racist propaganda against us so it’s meant to soften the blow ... idk . What is with the fascination with this word?!!? Out of all the words in the English language??? Like I’ve heard ASAINS make fun of their eyes but obviously i can’t because I’m not Asian ... I’ve gad gay ppl say that all gays must burn in hell but I obviously can’t Cos I ain’t gay... heck I had a chinese girl complain that the Chinese ppl were invading my university and I died of laughter.... I don’t understand . Now I get afraid when I make friends with ppl afraid that they will bring this topic up and start bashing me ... or if I bring up anything to do with black ppl or Africa they will insult it ... this has happened many times? Is it normal? Are ppl really like this ? Am I fretting over nothing ?

Your English looks like vomit but I understand you were trying to express emotion through it and/or were in a rush. Anyway...

The word "use" makes it sound like some kind of tool - indeed, people who are offended by it and take action on it simply give it more power, in reward, turning that tool into a weapon. Lol. It's an outdated word. I bet in about 10 years, that word will literally mean "homie" or "good friend" in the dictionary - it could also be a very unused word, especially in the face of thousands of other adjective insults and new words, insults that are not necessarily even racist. That doesn't mean racism against black ethnicities will stop, or any others, for that matter - but I suspect it will be EXTREMELY reduced.
Anyone can say it but it isn't a good word and I don't use it. I admit I do say racial slurs to my white and asian mates but they call me the n word but at the end of the day it's just a word and my ancestors were never in the slave trade so doesn't bother me.
Reply 68
From my perspective, black people saying the N word is a form of empowerment and them taking a kind of ownership of it. When a white person says it it is racist due to the historical use of the word.
nobody should use the word because it's still racism
Can you guys stop replying to my messages on this post . I don’t mind if ur using it to discuss the topic as I’ve unwatched the thread but I’m done with this topic ...I don’t wanna be notified on it constantly as it gets annoying as hell . Plus it’s an endless debate as there is no right or wrong ! ITS SOLELY BASED ON OPINIONS!I personally don’t wanna hear the word that’s it. If u wanna say it go ahead know urself out ! If u don’t you do you ! If u wanna sock a guy everytime you hear it you are entitled to feel that way !
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but don’t act surprised if someone gets mad at u when u say a racial slur . I personally think that if u are not black even if it’s in a song don’t say it because the historical context of the word is still there even if u say it in a song. Just self sensor ...just like I do...and I’m black so it isn’t that hard . Like if u ain’t black don’t use it PERIOD.

It’s an individual issue and one person cannot represent a whole race as we have obviously seen here . Alas if u are black and u wanna use it I personally don’t care . It’s like a fat person calling themselves a fatty or lard arse but if I were to call a fat person a lard arse , with my skinny figure, I would not be surprised if they got upset.( People make fun of themselves all the time so I really don’t see how this is any different tbh ...)
It’s not rocket science . I asked a goddamn question and it’s gone tooooo far ! LEAVE ME ALONE ! AAAAUGHHH
Original post by 19leesj
I'm Korean and even when another Asian person tells me I'm 'yellow' I feel offended no matter how close they are.
Racial comments are just unacceptable (personally for me) becasue it means that you are bing automatically tagged by your appearance.

That’s like me being offended when someone calls me black??? ... I have had chinese and korean people TELL ME that they are yellow . TELL ME . When I refused they said they were yellow just like I was black ... Yes I don’t know many Asian people I only know like 2 koreans 12 Chinese and 6 or so thai ppl ... however ,I think u misunderstood the meaning of the term... because the other day I had a massive argument with my chinese friend who insisted that she was yellow when I told her her skin was white... now it’s ur opinion so I don’t give a damn... I may be wrong if so correct me .
This thing with calling Asians yellow is irking me a lot because I get mixed signals all the time and it’s BLOODY CONFUSING!!! 😩😩😩. When I tell someone I’m black they reply they are yellow but on the other hand ppl are saying it’s racist ?! However they tell me that they ARE yellow even when I refuse and say their skin is white !!!??!! BLOODY CONFUSED. ALL THIS RACIAL CRAP MAKES ME WANNA JUMP OFF A CLIFF MAN !!!
(edited 5 years ago)
I wish i could eradicate all racial slurs !!! ACTUALLY ALL ways that catalog us by race like we are some breed of dog!! Im sick of it !! It causes unnecessary stress !!! God damn it!!!! WHY CANT WE JUST LIVE!!! BLACK , WHITE , ASIAN , BI-RACIAL , MIXED , NATIVE!!! Unnecessary terms that make life difficult!BURN ! BURN ALL THE WORDS !!! IM LOSING MY MARBLES!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sievebrain12
uggh... This subject again. Look, words have no meaning without context. If a white guy says the n-word with an "a" because he might be rapping or something, or maybe he has black friends that let him use it because they all use the word to mean something like "brother", i see no problem. In most contexts it is a horrible and divisive word though and no one should use it. If we are talking with a hard "r", this is even worse. The only context anyone should be using this word in is perhaps if you are reading an old book in class like huckleberry finn. It is stupid to ignore the words historical use. Any other context though? I don't see a need for it (and if anyone insults a black person with that word then they deserve what's coming to them anyway).

I'm half japanese half english, and if anyone insults me with either terms like "cr*cker" or "g**k" i will beat their sh*t in, but if it is from my friends in a joking manner this is fine and only idiots with no sense of humour would say otherwise.

Basically, to sum up, words are all about context. There should never be any outright ban or restriction on any word in all contexts, but many contexts will mean that these words are inappropriate.

thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you !
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
White people can use the N word and some do; there’s no law saying only black people have the right to utter it.

Black people themselves should really stop using the word if it’s so offensive when said by someone else. That way it’ll fall out of use.

Go get a script for the 'off Broadway' hit: "Two Trains Running"!! Then - read it!! ALL of it!! I used to support a small theater group in Washington, D.C. As part of my membership, i got 5 free plays. One of these plays was "Two Trains..." According to the promo material, it concerned an inner city neighborhood, that had fallen on hard times, with the long term residents slowly leaving or dying off. I thought that the plot had some possibilities. I went to the performance, and was surprised to see that the audience was more than 2/3 non-white and non-asian. Normally, it would be about 50-50%. The first act started, and i saw that the cast was 100% non-white. Well, it was supposed to be set in the 'inner-city' after all.. so that was ok. But then, i noted that about every 4th word was the 'n-word'... over and over and over. The audience went wild. Cheering and applause interrupted the performance very frequently. I waited until the end of the second act to leave, but the majority of the audience clearly thought the play was terrific!! Had the actors been white, or the playwrite been white, there would have been a riot. Neither were, so it was wonderfufl!!! That was the last season i supported that theater. I became tired of being 'talked down to' and 'insulted' when i went to a performance to support their theater. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest