The Student Room Group

archimedes principle?

What is the relationship between Archimedes' principle and
"volume of object = volume of water displaced by the object" ?
Reply 1
BUMP :c
Well Archimedes principle says the upthrust force on an object is equal to the mass of the displaced liquid.

That's true whether the object sinks or floats - a lump of stone submerged in water is easier to lift than the same lump in the air cos under the water the upthrust gives you assistance.

floating object displaces it's mass

sunken object displaces it's volume
typically it's sunk because the sunken object was more dense than water, it displaced it;s mass of water but the upthrust was still less than the weight of the object.

but you could be holding an object that's less dense than water underwater with an external force
Reply 3
Original post by Joinedup
Well Archimedes principle says the upthrust force on an object is equal to the mass of the displaced liquid.

That's true whether the object sinks or floats - a lump of stone submerged in water is easier to lift than the same lump in the air cos under the water the upthrust gives you assistance.

typically it's sunk because the sunken object was more dense than water, it displaced it;s mass of water but the upthrust was still less than the weight of the object.

but you could be holding an object that's less dense than water underwater with an external force

thank youu this has been bothering me for a while x
Original post by Joinedup

I thought upthrust force was equal to the weight of the displaced liquid :hmmmm:
Reply 5
Original post by Spannerin'moi
I thought upthrust force was equal to the weight of the displaced liquid :hmmmm:

i think he means weight, lol, or that's what i assumed.
obviously, bc weight is a force and it should be equated to the upthrust force :bl:
Original post by stardustxx
obviously, bc weight is a force and it should be equated to the upthrust force :bl:

Aah I see...coolio! :ta:
Original post by stardustxx

Oh yeah - weight not mass... thanks :top:

Quick Reply

Latest