Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm having trouble understanding the difference between cognitive and non-cognitive language. It seems simple enough -- cognitive language makes assertions about facts whereas non-cognitive language doesn't.
However, I have seen "I am happy" used as an example of a non-cognitive statement, but isn't happiness a fact? A person's mental state is an objective reality that can be verified scientifically...

What then is the difference?

Many thanks
absade
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Heyy,
Cognitivsim - Statements that can be said to be true or false. The sky is blue. This can be true of false. They can be proven to be right or wrong. If I said the sky is yellow, to disprove me you would go outside to look at the sky. Cognitivism is therefore objective it’s about yes or no, true or false

Non cognitive are subjective- I am happy is an emotional expression. Some would argue that it can be observed but happiness is defined differently by different people. I am happy can therefore be a subjective claim not an objective one.

Hope this helps x
Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much for the response! That's really clarified things, although I still think it's a moot point about emotions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (211)
74.56%
No (72)
25.44%

Watched Threads