Woman explained: mental illness doesn't equal failure Watch

Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
In recent years, there have been many strides forwards in the general perception of mental health, which has resulted in a reduction of stigma, and an increase in understanding. However, we still have a long way to go, especially when it comes to the workplace.

This woman, however, is working to combat preconceptions. Taking to Twitter, she wrote:

Mental health stigma is conflating someone’s productivity and success with their mental wellness. There’s lots of successful and productive people who struggle with mental health.

Read the full story here

What do you think about mental health awareness? Do you feel that people you meet are knowledgeable and understanding? Or that more needs to be done? Share your views...
ThomH97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think it's very good that we realise bad mental health is bad for productivity. Imagine if employers drove their employees to suicide with overworking, pressure, stress, low pay, excessive hours etc, without realising there were actual consequences.

Having something else on your mind does make you less productive when you are meant to be focusing on something else. Yes, that doesn't necessarily prevent you from doing your job adequately, but it's going to have an impact. And it is better an employer realises that than have the attitude "Blair hates working here, but it's okay as long as she gets her pills".
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I do think that there are some people who have absolutely nothing wrong with them, but who use “mental health” as a means of self-handicapping. It becomes a way for them to blame their own perceived failures upon something other than a mere lack of effort or talent, in a (perhaps unconscious) attempt to preserve their own self-image or public image.

Whilst society does need to be aware of and accommodating towards genuine mental illnesses, we also need to be careful that in our attempts to “raise awareness”, we don’t bombard perfectly healthy people with cause to question their own sanity, inadvertently creating a generation of mental health hypochondriacs as a result.

Nowadays this effect, combined with broadening definitions of various mental health issues is making it seem like everyone’s got one these days.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hello_shawn)
Mental health this mental health that. When will people start taking responsibility for their actions? Then the people who truly need help will get it. You let a world of big companies and politicians determine your thought patterns and this is what you get....
I think this post proves that there is still a bit a way to go in getting people to understand mental illness. If you have cancer, it is accepted that you are not 100%. If you break an arm or leg, it is accepted you are not 100%. Even people with so called "Man flu" are offered sympathy. But if someone has a mental illness e.g. disease of the mind, they need to get a grip, snap out of it, stop moping and pull themselves together. Unless you have actually suffered a mental condition you can't fully understand just how pathetic and oppressive such comments are.
Rugbee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
OP i think your question was answered by the first few who have answered your thread, in that no, we still have very very long way to go. Many still don't understand what mental illness is. They think its someone decided be an ass or being grumpy becuase theyr pay was deducted or irritated becuase they're overworked.

Mental illness consists of a plethora of debilitating conditions, which take over the persons life, most times against they're will. Its like any other ill, but like OP rightly said it gets the least sympathy. Why? becuase its an invisible illness. People can see a broken leg, they can see cancer, they can see the outward signs of diabetes etc people can't see Mental illness. You can't see the beginnings of Psychosis, except the person might be acting 'a bit weird', you cant see many neurological conditions, you can't see the battle going on in the mind of someone with OCD and intrusive thoughts. When someone says they are suffering from 'anxiety' (not meaning anxiousness that we all have from time to time), a non sufferer finds it hard to comprehend what they are talking about. Unless you have been touched by it.

When people do recognise it for what it is, there is the stigma attached to it, that no other illness suffers from. No one wants to be friends with a person who has any type of mental illness or neurological disorder. Wether it be bipolar or or the more well know Schizophrenia. So the individual is trapped further because they can't even talk about their condition or how they feeling.
Many keep quiete for a long time unitil something finally gives.

Sufferes are regarded with suspicion and most times hostility, sometimes as a figure of fun. Names like; retard! nutter! nutcase, fool, weirdo, a bit cuckoo! a few screws loose...Which other illness has this many derogatory names attached to it? imagine calling someone with Cancer similar fitting names? everyone will be rightly horrified.

It is a dark, frustrating, devastating and very lonely place.

And so, we can never stop talking about mental health awareness, no matter how much the first poster would like it all to just blow away. We will speak up and continue to advocate for those who cannot speak for themselves. People with MH issues have a right to a life, to make the most of what life can offer, to a good education and job and they have a right to be supported by employers. They should not be discriminated against. They have a right to Mental health services and the NHS needs a right shaking up. Funding for it should be ring fenced.

Children with Mental health issues should have access to healthcare in the same way any other illness does. Can you imagine someone with diabetes being told they need to go on an 18mth waiting list befoe they can receive Insulin? 18mth wait for Chemotherapy? thisis what children and adolescents face. Only when they are suicidal and made a couple of attempts on their lives before they get seen for CBT. Mental illness can be managed if he sufferer receives treatment in time.

So OP, not I don't think that people in general or on here know enough about mental health awareness. There are too many who are ignorant. So loads more needs to be done.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Rugbee)
OP i think your question was answered by the first few who have answered your thread, in that no, we still have very very long way to go. Many still don't understand what mental illness is. They think its someone decided be an ass or being grumpy becuase theyr pay was deducted or irritated becuase they're overworked.

Mental illness consists of a plethora of debilitating conditions, which take over the persons life, most times against they're will. Its like any other ill, but like OP rightly said it gets the least sympathy. Why? becuase its an invisible illness. People can see a broken leg, they can see cancer, they can see the outward signs of diabetes etc people can't see Mental illness. You can't see the beginnings of Psychosis, except the person might be acting 'a bit weird', you cant see many neurological conditions, you can't see the battle going on in the mind of someone with OCD and intrusive thoughts. When someone says they are suffering from 'anxiety' (not meaning anxiousness that we all have from time to time), a non sufferer finds it hard to comprehend what they are talking about. Unless you have been touched by it.

When people do recognise it for what it is, there is the stigma attached to it, that no other illness suffers from. No one wants to be friends with a person who has any type of mental illness or neurological disorder. Wether it be bipolar or or the more well know Schizophrenia. So the individual is trapped further because they can't even talk about their condition or how they feeling.
Many keep quiete for a long time unitil something finally gives.

Sufferes are regarded with suspicion and most times hostility, sometimes as a figure of fun. Names like; retard! nutter! nutcase, fool, weirdo, a bit cuckoo! a few screws loose...Which other illness has this many derogatory names attached to it? imagine calling someone with Cancer similar fitting names? everyone will be rightly horrified.

It is a dark, frustrating, devastating and very lonely place.

And so, we can never stop talking about mental health awareness, no matter how much the first poster would like it all to just blow away. We will speak up and continue to advocate for those who cannot speak for themselves. People with MH issues have a right to a life, to make the most of what life can offer, to a good education and job and they have a right to be supported by employers. They should not be discriminated against. They have a right to Mental health services and the NHS needs a right shaking up. Funding for it should be ring fenced.

Children with Mental health issues should have access to healthcare in the same way any other illness does. Can you imagine someone with diabetes being told they need to go on an 18mth waiting list befoe they can receive Insulin? 18mth wait for Chemotherapy? thisis what children and adolescents face. Only when they are suicidal and made a couple of attempts on their lives before they get seen for CBT. Mental illness can be managed if he sufferer receives treatment in time.

So OP, not I don't think that people in general or on here know enough about mental health awareness. There are too many who are ignorant. So loads more needs to be done.
Is it reasonable for an employer (or anyone) to expect someone's productivity to drop if they develop mental health issues?
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Of course it doesnt equal failure. People with mental illness must be some of the strongest people going
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (18)
12.08%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (11)
7.38%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (35)
23.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (22)
14.77%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (16)
10.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (47)
31.54%

Watched Threads