Three activists were first people to receive jail terms for anti-fracking protests in Watch

Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Three environmental activists who became the first people to be jailed for an anti-fracking protest in the UK are to appeal against their sentences amid growing anger over their “excessive and extraordinary” punishments.

Last week, Simon Roscoe Blevins, 26, and Richard Roberts, 36, were sentenced to 16 months in prison, and Richard Loizou, 31, was given 15 months after a jury at Preston crown court convicted them of causing a public nuisance.

The men were charged after taking part in a four-day protest that blocked a convoy of trucks carrying drilling equipment from entering the Preston New Road fracking site near Blackpool in July last year.

Read the full story here

What do you think? Fair or unfair?
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fracking itself doesn't seem to be the issue, it's the way it's being done; allowing private companies to drill into land they don't own themselves and leave behind a mess which by the time it pollutes the water table, will be long gone.

Protestors need to be aware that any direct action that annoys the locals only hurts their cause.

Throwing peaceful protestors in jail will likely encourage non-peaceful protest if the punishment is perceived as similar.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
Blocking economic activity while we are still feeling the effects of the financial crisis is kinda irresponsible tbh.

Protest is all well and good, but when it disrupts the day-to-day running of the economy, that's when the police need to intervene.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Protesting is one thing , deliberately and illegally holding up legally sanctioned works is another.
I assume the courts are trying to create a deterrent.
It will be interesting to see if it works.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How does blocking a road for 'up to four days' only cause 9 hours of road closures? These guys aren't very good. They should have just targetted the frackers, perhaps sabotage will be the method of choice for their followers.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
Ahem.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...paign=sharebar
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow. Whilst someone should have found this out beforehand anyway, the judge definitely should have declared it too.
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The thing that worries me is not the length for their sentences in itself but the fact that there are people who commit worse crimes let off with a lot less.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (75)
14.94%
1 (69)
13.75%
2 (65)
12.95%
20.52%
20.32%
5 (88)
17.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise