Ellise001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently doing my A-Levels and due to finish them next year, and one career idea of mine is to become a law teacher for A-Level students

What I'm confused about is, can I become a teacher without a law degree? Can I do a law apprenticeship/ degree-apprenticeship instead and do it that way? Thanks!

Edit: I study law at college, probably an important fact
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To teach a subject in state secondary schools you need an undergraduate degree, usually in the subject you want to teach.

In a further education college, this would matter less.

Do be aware there isn't that much of a demand for law teachers/full time law teachers, you may be better doing something like history and teaching law as an extra subject.
Ellise001
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
To teach a subject in state secondary schools you need an undergraduate degree, usually in the subject you want to teach.

In a further education college, this would matter less.

Do be aware there isn't that much of a demand for law teachers/full time law teachers, you may be better doing something like history and teaching law as an extra subject.
Thank you muchly! I plan on possibly doing criminology with law with the open university so I have a backup of teaching criminology (I know it's not in demand but I can try!) if law isn't possible
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ellise001)
Thank you muchly! I plan on possibly doing criminology with law with the open university so I have a backup of teaching criminology (I know it's not in demand but I can try!) if law isn't possible
There really isn't any demand for 'teachers in criminology'. As SarcAndSpark says, you'd be much better advised to do a more mainstream subject if your end objective is to teach.
Ellise001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
There really isn't any demand for 'teachers in criminology'. As SarcAndSpark says, you'd be much better advised to do a more mainstream subject if your end objective is to teach.
I feel like I'm more inclined to become a teacher if I could do the teaching qualifications after an apprenticeship/degree-apprenticeship, and with that it's unlikely I could teach a mainstream subject as well but I'll weigh my pros and cons later. Not saying that uni for me isn't a bad idea, I'm just more focused on staying at home and getting as prepared as I can for life
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel like I'm more inclined to become a teacher if I could do the teaching qualifications after an apprenticeship/degree-apprenticeship, and with that it's unlikely I could teach a mainstream subject as well but I'll weigh my pros and cons later. Not saying that uni for me isn't a bad idea, I'm just more focused on staying at home and getting as prepared as I can for life
That's fair enough I think
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't disagree with your perspective but if you want to teach in a UK state school, you will need to do a degree at some stage.

Apprenticeships are very vocational- it seems odd that this is the route you'd want to follow if you don't actually want to work in the sector.
Ellise001
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I don't disagree with your perspective but if you want to teach in a UK state school, you will need to do a degree at some stage.

Apprenticeships are very vocational- it seems odd that this is the route you'd want to follow if you don't actually want to work in the sector.
I suppose I'll learn on the job if that's what I go for, either that or go to uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads