The Student Room Group

Help!! Speeding ticket

So today I was travelling back from Uni on the M54 smart motorway, and had about 15miles in my tank. There were a mile long line of lorries in the outer lane, which is what I needed to get into. I indicated, and even put on my hazards - yet they would not let me through. I saw a gap up ahead, but I needed to speed up or I'd be too late, and would go to South Wales with only 15miles in my tank, and have the real possibility of being stranded! So I sped up, can't remember how fast I went, between 55-65 I'd say. Then I saw a speed camera flash multiple times. Speed limit was 50 :frown:

I totally accept I'm in the wrong, there's no denying that - but my breakdown wouldn't cover if I didn't have enough fuel. I'm flip scared as I got my license only a year ago, and really hope I don't get points, hope my premium doesn't go up etc. Anyone experienced anything similar?

I'm only on a small income (£100> from work a week), but I have student finance money - do they take that into account?

Edit: The cameras that flashed were on the opposite side of the road facing me.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

what was the speed limit of the road? if you didn't exceed the limit too much, then you might be offered the opportunity to go on a speed awareness course instead of paying the fine and getting the points.
Original post by julietlima3
what was the speed limit of the road? if you didn't exceed the limit too much, then you might be offered the opportunity to go on a speed awareness course instead of paying the fine and getting the points.

It was a smart motorway, and the speed limit was 50mph, which changed about 1min before I hit the cameras.
Well, you're within the "Band A" penalty at that speed, so you may be offered the speed awareness course. Guess you have an anxious 14 days wait.
Well, you're within the "Band A" penalty at that speed, so you may be offered the speed awareness course. Guess you have an anxious 14 days wait.

Yep! Definitely teaches me a lesson that I'd never like to go through again. Think I'll just get stranded next time! Typical the only time I ever speed I may have gotten caught.
Original post by sophieemilylou
Yep! Definitely teaches me a lesson that I'd never like to go through again. Think I'll just get stranded next time! Typical the only time I ever speed I may have gotten caught.

I'm in a bit of an anxious wait as well. Got hit by a speed van on Saturday, doing somewhere between 43-47mph on a 40 road....police guidance here says they need a good reason to prosecute for anything below 10%+2mph so I think I'm ok. Been driving for 9 years without any points
I'm in a bit of an anxious wait as well. Got hit by a speed van on Saturday, doing somewhere between 43-47mph on a 40 road....police guidance here says they need a good reason to prosecute for anything below 10%+2mph so I think I'm ok. Been driving for 9 years without any points

That's relieving to hear - however I think I was hit by an average speed cam. Hope it works out for you though, it's a scary thing!
Reply 7
Did you pass underneath a gantry? Smart Motorways will be using HADECS camera's, which are positioned on the gantries. These cameras are known to sometimes go off randomly, and obviously also go off if someone is speeding in the lane next to you.

If you did set it off, depending on what end of 55 - 65 you where doing, you might not hear anything in the post. If you do, it'll be an NIP, asking you to identify who was driving at the time. If you don't fill that out, you get a seperate offence, which is worse than the speeding ticket. After sending it back, you should get an offer to do a speed awareness course, which avoids getting the points on your license. Otherwise, you can opt for a FPN, which is 100 pounds, and 3 points on your license.

The speed awareness course is the best option as a new driver, you avoid the points, no risk to your license and no insurance increase. You just spend a day in a hotel somewhere with some "driving proffesionals" who lecture you about the dangers of speeding, which depending on your attitude, can either be really intresting, or just piss you off.

Don't worry about it. You're probably fine, I went past a speedvan doing 83mph in a 70 and never heard anything. However, even if you get an NIP, don't panic, a speed awareness course is the worst that it can possibly be, and even that isn't too bad.
To be honest I can’t even remember. I’ve worried about it so much that I’m mixing up details. Hopefully I’m okay 😬 it’s totally shook me up whilst driving, I’ve become so paranoid. Had really poor visibility this morning as it was raining. Had my fog lights on, and went in a bus lane, but quickly got out of it 🙄 I’m starting to second guess my driving. I would take taxis everywhere if I could afford it!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by maeger
HADECS camera's, which are positioned on the gantries.

Next to, not on.
Pretty sure it was HADECS cameras, just not in yellow.
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
Next to, not on.

They have gantry mounted ones too, painted in grey and hidden behind the speed limit displays, with one covering each lane.
if you were going >10mph over speed awareness and slap on the wrists or a 50% weekly income fine and 3 points or something similar if 10mph+ youre in for a rough time though 4 points and 100% of weekly income fine i think. if youre lucky like i was it might not arrive in 14 days then you cant be prosecuted highly unlikely though. enjoy ur nervous wait :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by maeger
They have gantry mounted ones too, painted in grey and hidden behind the speed limit displays, with one covering each lane.

On which motorway? As far as I was aware, HADECS 3 has replaced next to all motorway speed cameras.
M54, near J2 Wolverhampton.
What is a ‘Smart Motorway’?

Average speed cameras are a nightmare, least down in England you get that ‘speed awareness’ option.
I got done and 3 points £100 fine after passing my test 18 months prior
Accept your punishment with a good grace and be glad no-one was hurt.
police guidance here says they need a good reason to prosecute for anything below 10%+2mph so I think I'm ok. Been driving for 9 years without any points

I thought that 10% +2mph was old advice that has since been superseded.
Reply 18
Original post by sophieemilylou
M54, near J2 Wolverhampton.

I've just read over your OP again after looking at that section of motorway.. two things stand out..

1) you said the cameras were on the other side of the road.. they can't catch you
2) I can't actually see any cameras at all...
Reply 19
Original post by Reality Check
I thought that 10% +2mph was old advice that has since been superseded.

ACPO guidelines, often ignored by many forces who's official stance is "zero tolerance".

YMMV.

Quick Reply

Latest