How do I become a Psychology teacher with a pgce primary qualification?

Watch
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im currently doing a pgce primary course but my ambitions are to be a primary school teacher for like 3-5 years and then become a psychology teacher for secondary and sixth form/college pupils.

I have a degree in Education Studies
I did Psych at A- level and got an A

would I need to do a masters?
username1039383
Rep:
?
bump
Heather-Good
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
I'm currently helping teach an access to psychology for a college as my placement on a level 5 diploma in education and training.
As far as I know, to be able to teach, you need one level higher qualification in the subject you intend to teach.
In my case I have a BSc (hons) social studies, so this qualifies me to teach the level 3 course that I'm currently doing.
Hope this helps.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Once you have QTS, you can, in theory, apply for any teaching post available- it's up to the school if they'd want to hire you or not. It probably depends on how many applicants they have for the post and what qualifications they hold.

In some schools, it can help if you can also offer another subject either at A-level or further down the school. Do you hold any other A-levels in subjects commonly taught in secondary schools?
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Once you have QTS, you can, in theory, apply for any teaching post available- it's up to the school if they'd want to hire you or not. It probably depends on how many applicants they have for the post and what qualifications they hold.

In some schools, it can help if you can also offer another subject either at A-level or further down the school. Do you hold any other A-levels in subjects commonly taught in secondary schools?
my other A-levels are sociology and law.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
my other A-levels are sociology and law.
Sociology could help as some posts are advertised for psychology/sociology.

I think all you can do is apply, and see what happens! It may help to do some tutoring of these subjects as well.
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Sociology could help as some posts are advertised for psychology/sociology.

I think all you can do is apply, and see what happens! It may help to do some tutoring of these subjects as well.
thanks so much, I will. im so done with being a student . don't wanna come back to do a masters
Hanziebabe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m doing a PGCE in Social Science and they say that if you have an A level or degree that is related, you can teach it. From my experience this is false. I have a degree in law and a masters in Criminology. I am currently on my first placement and teaching Health and Social Care - I do not have any a levels, gcse or anything in this yet I am teaching it. My college placement I will be expected to teach psychology too and yet I have no experience in this either. It is much more flexible than you think!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.43%
I'm not sure (42)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
30.05%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (490)
48.76%

Watched Threads