The Student Room Group

How to respond to my "Ex girl"

Hey, for context I am a 16 year old boy currently in Year 12 (Sixth Form). I was in one school from Year 7-8, then I switched to another school in Year 9, which I am currently at now.

When I say "Ex girl", I really mean ex-crush, as I never actually dated/went out with her.

There is a girl who I used to have a crush on (I will call her Amelia, though that isn't her real name). I really thought she had a nice personality, and she probably still does but our contact has been limited recently. There was a lot of evidence that would suggest she liked me at one point, for example, her friends would always refer to me as her future husband, and she was relatively touchy-feely with me. I never had the courage to ask her out and so perhaps missing out on her was my fault.

That being said, recently she has been flirting intensively with another boy (who I will call Charlie). Me and Charlie are very different people - I am a shy, introverted, nerdy, sweet guy; whereas he is outgoing, talkative, smokes and drinks alcohol. I wouldn't say that me giving Amelia less attention pushed her to Charlie. Amelia and Charlie are at the point of flirting where I don't think it is even worth me trying to pursue it. Initially, I was somewhat angry and disappointed that Amelia was interested in someone like Charlie (as she was more similar to me) but over time I managed to get over it and now whether they start a relationship or not doesn't bother me.

Part of the reason I was able to do that was thanks to the fact that I came across a girl I used to like in Year 7/8 (Who I will call Maddy). From what I remembered, she was incredibly kind and likeable and now she has grown into an extremely gorgeous, good looking girl as well. Although we didn't talk much, I did feel a connection.

Me and Amelia had chosen completely different A-Level subjects and so we rarely so contact has fallen significantly. To add to that, she often goes to the parties Charlie goes to, whereas I don't like going to parties.
The only time we ever have some form of contact is immediately after school. She often stands there with Charlie. In year 10/11, I would show all the signs of having a crush on someone, such as looking at her all the time, brushing against her etc, but I've stopped recently since I am interested in Maddy.
It seems that now she is the one showing those signs to me. Her and Charlie usually hug after school but whilst that is happening she often looks directly at me. Furthermore, she often tries to look at me, with what I think is a sad/upset expression.

I'm 99% sure she doesn't know Maddy, but I think she realises that I am interested in someone else now. Whilst I am glad I have gotten over Amelia, I don't like making her upset.

Essentially, I don't know how to act around Amelia. I don't want to make her upset but at the same time, I want her to know that I have moved on.
Ask Maddy out and tell Amelia about it.
Whether Maddy says yes or no, Amelia will know that you have moved on and now only see her as a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending