The Ultimate Foreign Language TV Show Recommendation Thread! Watch

CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago

Foreign Language TV Show Recommendations

As a big fan of french-language and other-language films/TV shows I have compiled a load of my favourite shows and a couple that have been recommended to me also :pierre:
Please comment if you have any other recommendations! :yes:

You can find other TV recommendations here :woo:

Disparue (French police thriller; 2015, 1 series)
The series explores the complex drama caused by the disappearance of a teenage girl in Lyon, and the subsequent police investigation to find her.

Les Revenants (The Returned) (French supernatural drama; 2012-2015, 2 series)
Set in a small french mountain town, many dead people return alive and apparently normal and many strange happenings then occur.

Borgen (The Government) (Danish political drama; 2010-2013, 3 series)
It is about how Birgitte Nyborg, a minor centrist politician, becomes the first female Prime Minister of Denmark against all the odds.

Wallander (Swedish crime show; 2005-2013, 3 series)
Is Based on Henning Mankell's book and story ideas follows a reserved grumpy old man solving different crimes. The show is intelligent, beautiful and sometimes creepy. A British Wallander series also exists.

Engrenages (Spiral) (French police and law drama show; 1978-present, 40 series)
The show follows the lives and work of Paris police officers and the lawyers and judges who work at the Palais de Justice.

Salamander (Belgian crime and drama series; 2012-present, 2 series)
Dictates the life of Inspector Paul Gerardi, a Belgian detective who investigates the theft of sixty-six safety deposit boxes belonging to prominent Belgian figures.

The Fall (Irish crime and drama series; 2013-2016, 3 series)
Metropolitan Police Superintendent Stella Gibson, a senior investigating officer tasked with reviewing investigations, is seconded to the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) in order to assess the progress of a murder investigation that has remained active longer than 28 days.

Pobol y Cwm (People of the Valley) (Soap opera; 1974-present, many series)
a Welsh language soap opera which has been produced by the BBC since October 1974.

La Mante (The Mantis) (French thriller miniseries; 2017, 1 series)
In Paris, police search for a psychopath whose murders are inspired by Jeanne Deber, known as "The Mantis", a famous serial killer who terrorised the country 25 years ago. Jeanne Deber offers her expertise to the police in order to help hunt the copycat. Placed in solitary confinement since her arrest, "The Mantis" has one condition: to deal only with Detective Damien Carrot, her estranged son. Damien has no choice, for a serial killer is on the loose and could strike anytime, anywhere in Paris.
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
:bump:
thanks AngryJellyfish
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Les revenants! loved that series
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
same, I watched it during my 'studies' for AS French
for
'educational purposes'
:ninja:
(Original post by L.D.S.)
Les revenants! loved that series
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
same, I watched it during my 'studies' for AS French
for
'educational purposes'
:ninja:
Me too watching a French tv series, really, really helped with biology, chemistry and psychology a level
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
(Original post by L.D.S.)
Me too watching a French tv series, really, really helped with biology, chemistry and psychology a level
:rofl3: loool
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm usually one to stick to films but have watched both Forbrydelsen (english: The Killing) and Bron/Broen (english: The Bridge) in recent years. Both crime dramas with an overarching mystery each series. Strong central characters in each and not too pacy in their storytelling. Highly recommend both :yy:

If anyone has any Mandarin language based recommendations I'd be interested
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (262)
58.88%
No (150)
33.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise