The Student Room Group

Do we need to add admission tests in the education section in UCAS?

I'm applying for a maths degree and I've already registered for MAT. But it just occurred to me that maybe I need to add it in the UCAS just like i do with my A-levels. So do we need to add it, or will the test centre send the universities our results automatically?
Original post by xsrubyyyyy
I'm applying for a maths degree and I've already registered for MAT. But it just occurred to me that maybe I need to add it in the UCAS just like i do with my A-levels. So do we need to add it, or will the test centre send the universities our results automatically?

You should add it.
Original post by PQ
You should add it.

Are you sure? It's not a qualification.
Original post by RogerOxon
Are you sure? It's not a qualification.

Yes I am sure.

Ucas offer it as an qualification option within apply.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Yes I am sure.

Ok. Than you! But I already sent off my ucas two days ago, so I guess I need to send out emails to add it? 😭😭
Original post by PQ
Yes I am sure.

That's odd, as it isn't a qualification and gives away information about where you have applied. See this post.
No, I don't think you have to. The option for those admissions tests on Education on UCAS come under the heading 'additional' application test so I think you only do it if you have previously done an application test and got a result i.e. are not doing it on 31st October this year. Because everyone doing it this year doesn't know their result. I suppose you might put in if you've done e.g. the UKCAT as then you'd have a result. I've certainly never been told to put it in by school etc.
Original post by RogerOxon
That's odd, as it isn't a qualification and gives away information about where you have applied. See this post.

Just because one person at Oxford says it isn’t required doesn’t chabge the fact that UCAS asks for everything to be declared.

I personally wouldn’t recommend applicants risk losing a place on a technicality by leaving off an exam like MAT etc.

There’s no benefit to leaving it off.
Original post by FennonLupin
No, I don't think you have to. The option for those admissions tests on Education on UCAS come under the heading 'additional' application test so I think you only do it if you have previously done an application test and got a result i.e. are not doing it on 31st October this year. Because everyone doing it this year doesn't know their result. I suppose you might put in if you've done e.g. the UKCAT as then you'd have a result. I've certainly never been told to put it in by school etc.

By that logic all pending qualifications and exams would not be declared even though UCAS are very clear that everything should be declared.

A UCAS application isn’t a CV. You don’t use your discretion to decide what to include. You include everything - your universities decide what is important to your application. More and more universities are penalising applicants who withhold relevant information.
Reply 9
Thanks for all the replies guys😀! Would it be okay to conclude that it's better to include it just in case, but in the case that I've already sent my ucas off, there's no need to email every universities to inform them that I'll be taking MAT?
p.s. I asked my head teacher yesterday and he also said that it's not necessary to include MAT.
Reply 10
Original post by xsrubyyyyy
Thanks for all the replies guys😀! Would it be okay to conclude that it's better to include it just in case, but in the case that I've already sent my ucas off, there's no need to email every universities to inform them that I'll be taking MAT?
p.s. I asked my head teacher yesterday and he also said that it's not necessary to include MAT.

You just have to be registered for it by an exam centre/school, as long as you’ve done that, then your application in terms of sitting the MAT, is absolutely fine.
Reply 11
Original post by akpo
You just have to be registered for it by an exam centre/school, as long as you’ve done that, then your application in terms of sitting the MAT, is absolutely fine.

Great! Thanks :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by PQ
By that logic all pending qualifications and exams would not be declared even though UCAS are very clear that everything should be declared.

A UCAS application isn’t a CV. You don’t use your discretion to decide what to include. You include everything - your universities decide what is important to your application. More and more universities are penalising applicants who withhold relevant information.

I totally get this but the difference with the admissions tests are that the Universities are informed of it - you have to register for Oxbridge admissions tests before a deadline and once you've registered the University knows you're doing the test & will therefore get given your result when you sit the test. The option on UCAS forms is for additional tests, e.g. if you sat one the previous year. Of course you have to put on other qualifications that are pending that the university doesn't know about, but you have, in effect, already put it on your UCAS form by registering.
Original post by FennonLupin
I totally get this but the difference with the admissions tests are that the Universities are informed of it - you have to register for Oxbridge admissions tests before a deadline and once you've registered the University knows you're doing the test & will therefore get given your result when you sit the test. The option on UCAS forms is for additional tests, e.g. if you sat one the previous year. Of course you have to put on other qualifications that are pending that the university doesn't know about, but you have, in effect, already put it on your UCAS form by registering.

The same is true for applicants taking the IELTS tests. Their results are sent through outside UCAS. They’re still required to be listed on a UCAS application as pending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending