freyre
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hey so i want to make music for a living and i know the music industry's a super tough one 2 get into and i'm ready to work hard to hopefully make it.
i'm thinking of not going 2 uni 2 chase my dreams but obviously i feel like if i were 2 bring this up 2 anyone, they'd say (and i agree with them it's true) that this is a huge risk that i'm taking and i'll probably fall hard.

thing is i'd rather die trying than not try at all. maybe i should take a gap year to work on this? are there any apprenticeships/courses i could take for music production?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In short, yes, scads of them.

I dabble and I dunno if i'd be keen to spend 4 years at Uni for music either.....I haven't looked recently but there should be plenty of 1 & 2 year college full & part time music production ect courses.

Plenty of smaller options as well, Open Uni do a few good Digital Audio odds and ends, and a few place do good online free/cheap courses (I got to do basic certificates in Sound Production & Digital Sound Design prepared by Berklee in USA which were awesome) they had plenty more variety beyond just digital stuff, that was just my preference.

A lot of it will come down to being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people, It's a good time for it, UK DIY and indy gig & festival scene is v strong just now, not hard to find people that are doing stuff. What is it you have in mind? composition? perofrmance? production? *shudder* management, A&R?
freyre
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
In short, yes, scads of them.

I dabble and I dunno if i'd be keen to spend 4 years at Uni for music either.....I haven't looked recently but there should be plenty of 1 & 2 year college full & part time music production ect courses.

Plenty of smaller options as well, Open Uni do a few good Digital Audio odds and ends, and a few place do good online free/cheap courses (I got to do basic certificates in Sound Production & Digital Sound Design prepared by Berklee in USA which were awesome) they had plenty more variety beyond just digital stuff, that was just my preference.

A lot of it will come down to being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people, It's a good time for it, UK DIY and indy gig & festival scene is v strong just now, not hard to find people that are doing stuff. What is it you have in mind? composition? perofrmance? production? *shudder* management, A&R?
production & performance i think. i mean mostly production and if i get gigs then that's amazing and i'd go to them.

i just wanna make art, basically and yeah sound design/digital audio sounds great it's what i'm working on right now. but idk i think i could possibly go 2 LA for connections and stuff but it's definitely risky as well.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
LA is a bit of an 'out there' option and not one i really know anything of :P I'd likely say it;s still better to build local ones, so then if you DO decide to go to LA or whatever, you have more to offer in terms of exp.

I do oddly know one band I shared gigs with that made it big this way, one of them went off to LA for a bit themselves and got pally with Limp Bizkits Fred Durst (shudder) couple of years down the line the band kind of relaunched and got involved with the UK wrestling scene and got a European Limp Bizkit tour slot out of it, so it works for some. (I fking hate LB & Fred Durst personally )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.66%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (54)
26.6%

Watched Threads