Agent456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I am doing ICT extended diploma level 3 right now and I just want to know what are some good uni courses for ICT, I know there is Software engineering and Computer science but i can't seem to find anymore?
Bethanlovvorn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cyber security, web design and there are even courses on artificial intelligence. Try typing in ICT on the UCAS website
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Agent456)
So I am doing ICT extended diploma level 3 right now and I just want to know what are some good uni courses for ICT, I know there is Software engineering and Computer science but i can't seem to find anymore?
There are load of computing related courses that are now offered by universities: ITMB, Forensic Computing, Business IT/Computing, Information Systems, Cyber Security, Ethical Hacking, Software Engineering, Data Science /Analytics, Games Programming/Development, Computer Networks, Computer Engineering, Computing, Computer Science and likely a lot more.

I'd highly recommend going for Computer Science! It is generally the strongest course you can do in the area of computing and keeps all options open career wise.

I also did a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and graduated last year with a degree in Computer Science and have also just finished my MSc. Feel free to ask me anything else.
Agent456
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bethanlovvorn)
Cyber security, web design and there are even courses on artificial intelligence. Try typing in ICT on the UCAS website
Ok thanks, and will Universitys be looking for specific grades for maths and English GCSE as I got a 5 in maths, 6 in English lit and a 4 in English language? Or do you just jave to get atleast a pass?
Agent456
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
There are load of computing related courses that are now offered by universities: ITMB, Forensic Computing, Business IT/Computing, Information Systems, Cyber Security, Ethical Hacking, Software Engineering, Data Science /Analytics, Games Programming/Development, Computer Networks, Computer Engineering, Computing, Computer Science and likely a lot more.

I'd highly recommend going for Computer Science! It is generally the strongest course you can do in the area of computing and keeps all options open career wise.

I also did a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and graduated last year with a degree in Computer Science and have also just finished my MSc. Feel free to ask me anything else.
I didn't do very well in my science GCSE as I got 2 C's and 1 D, however I got maths and english and if I get Distinctions will I still be able to do computer science?
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't do very well in my science GCSE as I got 2 C's and 1 D, however I got maths and english and if I get Distinctions will I still be able to do computer science?
GCSE Science is totally irrellivent. Better universities will require a B in GCSE Maths but a C in English is fine.

In terms of your BTEC you'll need DMM+ but better unis will want between DDD-D*D*D*.

If you only have a C in GCSE Maths then you'll have to settle for a worse uni unfortunately, but there are still some good ones which will accept a C. E.g University of Kent.

Hope this helps
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What interests you most? Do you have any ideas about career paths? IT and Computing cover a really broad range of subjects, from the Business management side of IT, through to a whole range of technical skills such as Programming, Security, Hardware and Databases. There are also all kinds of Design-focused areas such as web design, game design or graphics. Then there's the mathematical and academic side too.

Also consider about the topics which interest you and make decisions from there; if you really don't know then that's fine too - some universities offer very flexible degrees where you get to choose most of your modules as you go along. Otherwise your career goals might influence your choices; it would be worth looking into job profiles to build up a picture of the types of jobs you'd enjoy doing, or at least being able to rule out some options.

You also have a range ways to progress too. A degree is one option; although there are different ways to get into that - for example, if you miss the entry requirements for a degree you can look at foundation courses or maybe start with an HND. If your goal is career-focused and you've got a firm career path in your head then you could consider applying to Level 4/5 apprenticeships as a way to learn the skills for a specific IT role by means of on-the-job training. Don't rush the decision, choosing something that you'll enjoy and will be able to cope with studying for 3 years isn't something you're going to figure out overnight, but your chances of success are much higher if the subject you're studying interests you - university is a lot more fun when you enjoy the modules, and you're more likely to work/study hard to get a 1st or 2:1 by the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads