DamianDima
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
TL;DR:

Which university has the better Computer Science program?

Where would I have more chances to find a part time job?

Where do I have more chances to get an internship after my first year at college?

----------------------------------------

Hello! I'm an international student looking to study in England. My final average is 8.51/10, which is the equivalent of AAB-BBC, depending on university.

My counselor has advised me to look at a number of universities, and I got it down to Lincoln vs Swansea, with Coventry being a third option. My problem is that my parents are unable to support me financially, so I need to pick the university where I have the most chances to get a part time job, the rent is cheap, and, after my first year, an internship in software development.

I've seen that there are a few part time jobs in Lincoln and Swansea as well, but I think there are a few more internship options in Swansea. But in Lincoln I can also study AI, which is a subject of interest for me.

I am already working this year, hoping to get at least £2000 by the time I need to leave. But £2000 won't last me forever, so I need to find a part-time job in the first two months, to support myself financially. I can work anything except for jobs that deal with body fluids, because of my weak stomach. I am not picky, and if I didn't vomit every time I see a tiny amount of puss, I'd truly work anything, just so I can support myself.

Thank you so much for all your help!
Rugbee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd go for Swansea. Its the most highly rated for CS out of the 3. As far as AI goes, Swansea in the 4th yr offer a module called 'Big Data and Machine Learning', that is your AI. It give a very broad introducton to the subject. Empolyers in the field of AI are looking to recruit people with degrees in either Computer Science, Maths, Physics or Psychology, so if thats what you want to explore eventually you are on the right path already.
DamianDima
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for the help! You mentioned year 4. You advise me to take a placement year? I'm really curious what that is, we don't have them in my cointry. What do you do during a placement year?

Also, I know this is a thing of luck, but any idea on how many part time jobs are in Swansea? Or how many internship opportunities for software development?

About Brexit: I'm coming from an EU country (Romania) and I'm a bit afraid of my fate after Brexit. As I said, I need a part time job to survive. My parents have no means of supporting me. Do you have any idea of I would still be able to work in the UK, since I will be a student there? Otherwise, would it be wise to apply for a work permit instead?

And, without that student loan, I cannot pay for my studies. I know the Government has extended the loan to the 2019-2020 timeframe, but does this mean I can finish all the years with the student loan, or, starting my second year, I'll have to pay international taxes?

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads