AS level Biology Watch

KatMoo19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Can someone please explain to me the difference between reducing and non-reducing sugars??
Lexie16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Reducing sugars have a free OH group and so can be oxidised whilst Non-reducing don’t have a free OH group
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Reducing and non-reducing sugars are found using benedicts test. A reducing sugar (e.g. glucose) is one which can be oxidised and can redcue other substances without you having to hydrolize it. A non-reducing sugar (e.g. sucrose) is one which cannot be oxidised and will not reduce other substances.

If you do a benedicts test on a reducing sugar, it will change from blue to yellow/orange/red. This shows that cooper(II) ions have been reduced. With a non-reducing sugar, you will not get a colour change since there is no functional group present which can be oxidised.
KatMoo19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
thanks😊 I understand the tests for each if them. What do you mean by reducing other substances??
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by KatMoo19)
thanks😊 I understand the tests for each if them. What do you mean by reducing other substances??
When we say reducing we mean it loses an electron to another substance so it itself is oxidised.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise