The Student Room Group

How Can I Make My Application Stand Out For Medicine?

My GCSE grades weren't the best ( 1 9, 2 8's, 5 7's and 2 6's) and I really want to become a neurologist. What should I do so that my GCSE grades aren't stopping me from getting in?

I'm in the first year of sixth form and am studying maths, chemistry and biology and my AS predicted grades are AAA (they wont do A*s in predicted grades until Year 2). I'm doing a HSK course in Mandarin and volunteer at my local hospital and am applying to volunteer at St Roccos Hospice. I'm also doing an EPQ next year.
I also plan to do volunteering in Thailand/Africa next summer but idk yet. What else should I do because I know medicine is a very, very competitive course. Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by idkeither41
My GCSE grades weren't the best ( 1 9, 2 8's, 5 7's and 2 6's) and I really want to become a neurologist. What should I do so that my GCSE grades aren't stopping me from getting in?

I'm in the first year of sixth form and am studying maths, chemistry and biology and my AS predicted grades are AAA (they wont do A*s in predicted grades until Year 2). I'm doing a HSK course in Mandarin and volunteer at my local hospital and am applying to volunteer at St Roccos Hospice. I'm also doing an EPQ next year.
I also plan to do volunteering in Thailand/Africa next summer but idk yet. What else should I do because I know medicine is a very, very competitive course. Thank you.

Read books about medicine. Henry Marsh has some really good ones. Gain work experience shadowing a doctor in a hospital and/or GP surgery. This isn’t essential as some people don’t have to opportunity to do this but it makes for some really good things to reflect on in personal statements and interviews. Try some online courses.

Your main focus however should be to do well in AS and obtain high predicted grades for a-Level. Also ensure you give yourself enough time to practice for the UKCAT and/or BMAT. Some universities judge on the UKCAT alone, providing you meet the requirements, so all the extra work isn’t enough if you don’t have the requirements and a good UKCAT/BMAT.
Original post by eron2463
Read books about medicine. Henry Marsh has some really good ones. Gain work experience shadowing a doctor in a hospital and/or GP surgery. This isn’t essential as some people don’t have to opportunity to do this but it makes for some really good things to reflect on in personal statements and interviews. Try some online courses.

Your main focus however should be to do well in AS and obtain high predicted grades for a-Level. Also ensure you give yourself enough time to practice for the UKCAT and/or BMAT. Some universities judge on the UKCAT alone, providing you meet the requirements, so all the extra work isn’t enough if you don’t have the requirements and a good UKCAT/BMAT.

Thank you.
Thank you so much! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending