How to get a grade 9 - my 5 top tips Watch

zooxanthellae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Heya all! I was so relieved to open my gcse results in the summer and see the following grades:

English Lit: 9
English Lang: 9
Maths: 9
IGCSE French: A*
Latin: 9
History: 9
Art: 9
Biology: 9
IGCSE Chemistry: A*
Physics: 9

I did put a lot of effort in during the first year of my course, however there were certain things I learnt which could also help those whose exams are this year. Here are some tips and tricks:

1) don’t burn out!!! Make sure to pace yourself and prioritise your health and well being. Staying up until 3am to revise for a test the next day is never a good idea as ultimately, the information won’t stick and you will be sleep deprived! Instead you could use the opportunity to see how much information has made it into your long term memory already.

2) experiment with resources. I was always someone who rewrote my notes to revise, despite what people told me. However by the summer I had found that different ways of learning suited my different subjects. For example I used freesciencelessons for last minute science revision and made mind maps for history.

3) reward yourself! One way which might work for you, but sounds ridiculous, is to put a square of chocolate in between the pages of the section of the textbook you are studying. That way you get a small reward every time you finish a page. However the motivation could also be long term, such as planning a fun thing to do in the holidays after gcses.

4) control your phone use. I really struggled with this one however found that certain screen tracking apps such as Moment really helped me stop procrastinating. I also often put my phone outside my room, however this may not be necessary for you.

5) don’t put too much emphasis on the exams. Ultimately GCSEs are just a stepping stone to further education. It is also important to remember that everything is in perspective. Someone who usually gets 4s getting a 6 is just as impressive as someone who usually gets 6s getting an 8.

Hope that helped! Feel free to add to the list below .

AngelStarfire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for this! How long did you revise for each day and when did you start revising? Do you have tips for each subject individually? Like a specific thing to do with each subject?

Btw congratulations on your results - you’re so awesome! I have mocks soon but I need to get into a study habit.
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
omg I did the chocolate thing for gcses:yep: (had to make sure I didn’t forget to exercise:laugh:)
zooxanthellae
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngelStarfire)
Thank you for this! How long did you revise for each day and when did you start revising? Do you have tips for each subject individually? Like a specific thing to do with each subject?

Btw congratulations on your results - you’re so awesome! I have mocks soon but I need to get into a study habit.
I started revising for mocks at Christmas however lots of my revision was done pretty last minute which was quite stressful! I would recommend starting as early as you can as it’s so much better to pace yourself.

English Lit - actually read your set texts! I know it can be difficult if you hate the book but it gives you a rounded view of the book as a whole and it is much easier to make links between themes. You could try an audiobook if you are struggling.

English Lang - there weren’t that many practice papers for us so I would recommend putting as much effort as you can into each one. If you find creative writing difficult, you could try to write a little each day (maybe 15 mins) to develop your skill over time.

Maths - it is all about the practice. Also if you don’t understand something don’t just leave it - often you will build on it later so it’s important that the foundations of your knowledge are strong.

French - you could try recording yourself speaking your presentation and then listening to it back. I find it quite difficult to judge how well I’m speaking otherwise and this could also be another way to learn it.

Latin: quizlet really is your best friend for learning vocab! I also would recommend learning your set texts asap as it’s so much easier when they’re in your long term memory.

History- By the end of my course I often found I didn’t have the energy to write essays in full, but by planning them alone I achieved just as much. Also try to learn the facts which overlap with your different themes - you don’t need to know everything in the text book!

Art- I did art and design so my course was a little bit more relaxed. Actually focus on things you’re interested in and try not to just write a biography for the artist you’re studying. Try to keep an open mind to what’s possible - one of my projects was basically just creative photo editing.

Bio - flash cards really helped me here! I would write out the syllabus in questions on the front of the card and answers on the back. This way you can also test your self.

Chemistry: cgp guide really summarised the syllabus well and made revision a lot easier. Like maths, make sure you have a good grip of the basics because otherwise nothing else will make sense.

Physics - this may not work for everyone but I put my success entirely down to my cgp revision and practice book. It explained things much better than my teacher and the practice questions were really useful.

Wow that was a lot of writing lol. Thank you for your congratulations! And good luck!
Kroznox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zooxanthellae)
Heya all! I was so relieved to open my gcse results in the summer and see the following grades:

I did put a lot of effort in during the first year of my course, however there were certain things I learnt which could also help those whose exams are this year. Here are some tips and tricks:

1) don’t burn out!!! Make sure to pace yourself and prioritise your health and well being. Staying up until 3am to revise for a test the next day is never a good idea as ultimately, the information won’t stick and you will be sleep deprived! Instead you could use the opportunity to see how much information has made it into your long term memory already.

2) experiment with resources. I was always someone who rewrote my notes to revise, despite what people told me. However by the summer I had found that different ways of learning suited my different subjects. For example I used freesciencelessons for last minute science revision and made mind maps for history.

3) reward yourself! One way which might work for you, but sounds ridiculous, is to put a square of chocolate in between the pages of the section of the textbook you are studying. That way you get a small reward every time you finish a page. However the motivation could also be long term, such as planning a fun thing to do in the holidays after gcses.

4) control your phone use. I really struggled with this one however found that certain screen tracking apps such as Moment really helped me stop procrastinating. I also often put my phone outside my room, however this may not be necessary for you.

5) don’t put too much emphasis on the exams. Ultimately GCSEs are just a stepping stone to further education. It is also important to remember that everything is in perspective. Someone who usually gets 4s getting a 6 is just as impressive as someone who usually gets 6s getting an 8.

Do you have any tips regarding how to get an A* in IGCSE Chemistry? I'm struggling with Inorganic Analysis (cation and anion tests) and it's quite difficult. Thanks for making this thread!
username3989988
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Congrats, those are amazing grades. I look back now at how I revised for GCSEs and facepalm. I didn't know what I was doing... I still don't. :facepalm: What A-Levels are you taking?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One way which might work for you, but sounds ridiculous, is to put a square of chocolate in between the pages of the section of the textbook you are studying. That way you get a small reward every time you finish a page.
This is one of the greatest revision tips I have ever read!!
zooxanthellae
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kroznox)
Do you have any tips regarding how to get an A* in IGCSE Chemistry? I'm struggling with Inorganic Analysis (cation and anion tests) and it's quite difficult. Thanks for making this thread!
I would say the most effective revision method for analysis would be flashcards. I made a flashcard for each chemical test, writing the element or compound on the front and the result of the test on the back, colour co ordinating what was appropriate (I am quite a visual learner). That way you can test yourself on whether you can identify a substance from the result of a test, as well as whether you know the test to work out a given substance! Keep practising and that should work. Good luck!
zooxanthellae
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaizieAmyr)
Congrats, those are amazing grades. I look back now at how I revised for GCSEs and facepalm. I didn't know what I was doing... I still don't. :facepalm: What A-Levels are you taking?
Thank you! I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Maths.
gnewton12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which revision methods did you use?
Mxf.e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Maths.
Hi, what would you like to do at uni? Because I am considering history, maths or chemistry and bio. However, I would like to maths rather than chemistry as I don’t have that much of a passion for chemistry but chemistry is supposedly better for keeping your options open. I want to go into law but I am also interested in genetics and the female biology. Not really sure what works best for me.
zooxanthellae
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mxf.e)
Hi, what would you like to do at uni? Because I am considering history, maths or chemistry and bio. However, I would like to maths rather than chemistry as I don’t have that much of a passion for chemistry but chemistry is supposedly better for keeping your options open. I want to go into law but I am also interested in genetics and the female biology. Not really sure what works best for me.
I’m really interested in natural science or biology at uni however it’s taken me a while to realise this and I could easily change my mind! My advice would be to thoroughly research the courses and see what excites you most. University is a serious commitment so prioritise what you enjoy over what you think will keep your options open - that way you’re much more likely to be motivated and succeed.
whaaaaaaaaaat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mxf.e)
If you're genuinely very interested in Biology I think Chemistry would be a really good option for you as they do compliment each other nicely. That way you could do an undergraduate degree in biology and then do a graduate law degree after that. Hope everything works out for you.
whaaaaaaaaaat
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

What were your exam boards for your subjects? In addition, do you have any tips for doing well in writing for languages?
AngelStarfire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I started revising for mocks at Christmas however lots of my revision was done pretty last minute which was quite stressful! I would recommend starting as early as you can as it’s so much better to pace yourself.

English Lit - actually read your set texts! I know it can be difficult if you hate the book but it gives you a rounded view of the book as a whole and it is much easier to make links between themes. You could try an audiobook if you are struggling.

English Lang - there weren’t that many practice papers for us so I would recommend putting as much effort as you can into each one. If you find creative writing difficult, you could try to write a little each day (maybe 15 mins) to develop your skill over time.

Maths - it is all about the practice. Also if you don’t understand something don’t just leave it - often you will build on it later so it’s important that the foundations of your knowledge are strong.

French - you could try recording yourself speaking your presentation and then listening to it back. I find it quite difficult to judge how well I’m speaking otherwise and this could also be another way to learn it.

Latin: quizlet really is your best friend for learning vocab! I also would recommend learning your set texts asap as it’s so much easier when they’re in your long term memory.

History- By the end of my course I often found I didn’t have the energy to write essays in full, but by planning them alone I achieved just as much. Also try to learn the facts which overlap with your different themes - you don’t need to know everything in the text book!

Art- I did art and design so my course was a little bit more relaxed. Actually focus on things you’re interested in and try not to just write a biography for the artist you’re studying. Try to keep an open mind to what’s possible - one of my projects was basically just creative photo editing.

Bio - flash cards really helped me here! I would write out the syllabus in questions on the front of the card and answers on the back. This way you can also test your self.

Chemistry: cgp guide really summarised the syllabus well and made revision a lot easier. Like maths, make sure you have a good grip of the basics because otherwise nothing else will make sense.

Physics - this may not work for everyone but I put my success entirely down to my cgp revision and practice book. It explained things much better than my teacher and the practice questions were really useful.

Wow that was a lot of writing lol. Thank you for your congratulations! And good luck!
Thank you so much! Even though I left revision last minute and now only have a week, I will try my best!
Mxf.e
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m really interested in natural science or biology at uni however it’s taken me a while to realise this and I could easily change my mind! My advice would be to thoroughly research the courses and see what excites you most. University is a serious commitment so prioritise what you enjoy over what you think will keep your options open - that way you’re much more likely to be motivated and succeed.
This something I would be interested in but chemistry seems to be a requirement for all biomedical courses
Mxf.e
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by whaaaaaaaaaat)
If you're genuinely very interested in Biology I think Chemistry would be a really good option for you as they do compliment each other nicely. That way you could do an undergraduate degree in biology and then do a graduate law degree after that. Hope everything works out for you.
This sounds like a good idea. Do you know if chemistry is needed to study just biology at uni?
whaaaaaaaaaat
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Mxf.e)
This sounds like a good idea. Do you know if chemistry is needed to study just biology at uni?
Not necessarily but depends on which uni you're looking at. Maths and Bio is essential for most - if not all - unis but as you said earlier, Chemistry does give you more options.
awjackson
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well done for your grades!
Which revision techniquees/ methods did you find were the best? And
How much revision did you do in y10/ any tips??
anamazingperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
when did u actually start revising properly-more than 4 hours a day???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (243)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (57)
12.67%
20-25 years old (yes) (74)
16.44%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.33%