Turn on thread page Beta

Tom's Year 13 watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! A month into Year 13 and it's fair to say it's going quite well. I did this last year so I will now add my blog from last year:

Just started in year 12 so here is my blog for the next two years. Wow. I am sure they will fly by and there will be a hell of a lot of ups and downs but it will be a lot of fun too.

GCSE Results:
    Maths - 9
    English Language - 7
    English Literature - 8
    Geography - A*
    Computing - A*
    Electronics - A*
    Statistics (2016) - A
    Religious Studies (2015) - A

IGCSE Results:
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    French - A*

FSMQ Result:
    Additional Maths - A

At A Level I am currently studying:
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Further Maths (Edexcel)
    Physics (OCR Advancing Physics)
    Chemistry (AQA)

University courses I am currently considering:
    Cambridge - General Engineering
    ICL - Design Engineering
    Durham - General Engineering
    Lancaster - General Engineering (with year abroad)

I will try to give a monthly update as to how I am finding everything. In the meantime, if anyone has any advice or anything you think would be beneficial to me, please let me know.

Update 1 - 11/10/17

Okay, so it has been over a month since I started 6th form. First impressions? I love it. Yes, the step up from GCSE is already massively noticable but I much prefer being stretched in lessons as opposed to being bored. I applied to do the 'Engineering Education Scheme' (EES) and thankfully I was fortunate enough to be selected in the team of 6; there had been more than 25 applications. My team is being sponsored by BP and we have been tasked with creating a transit monitoring tool which should be pretty cool. We went to a launch day last week at Surrey Uni which was great fun, although a bit of a trek just to build and modify lego robots (and try not to fall asleep during talks on project management). Next week we need have to appoint a PM so I think I'm going to put myself forward for the role. We have only had one assessment so far which was an end of topic test for chemistry - I got full marks. Half term is just over a week away and I am really looking forward to it.

Update 2 - 17/11/17

Another month and a bit has passed so it is time for another update. Firstly, I have definitley felt the jump up from GCSE to be surprisingly large. Whether it be naming hydrocarbons or finding the determinant of matrices, everything has posed some sort of a challenge. It is actually quite nice actually because for the first time in my life I haven't been able to cruise through everything. Physics and applied maths seem to be my strong points at the moment which is very good considering I want to go into Engineering. Further maths has been a challenge but I am now settling into nicely and thankfully I have pretty much the best maths teacher in the country which is helpful too. Chemistry is like learning a foreign language, what with nomenclature and all that jazz. We have had exams in everything now and I am getting As and A*s across the board so far which is obviously a good start but there is lots of room for improvement. When we have our term 1 exams I will get a much better picture of where I am and what I need to focus on the most. One slight issue has been FIFA kind of taking priority over school work but that is something I am learning to deal with and I get nearly all my work completed in 'free' periods. Anyway, that's me done for another month or so.

Update 3 - 20/06/2018

It has been a year (not quite, but you get what I mean) since I last updated you with my progress. Now is quite an apt time to give you a progress report as we have just sat our UCAS Prediction Exams. I got A*s in Maths, Physics and Chemistry and an A in Further Maths. These exams will contribute to our predicted grades which will be finalised in September. I am pleased with how these exams went and still hopeful I will be predicted 4 A*s. Today I filled in the personal details section on UCAS and I have got a shortlist of 6 universities, one of which will be knocked off after open days. These are Cambridge, ICL, Durham, Warwick, Southampton and Bath. Summer is going to be full of wider reading and doing a gazillion drafts of my personal statement but going on holiday (Croatia) will be nice.

Now for my Year 13 Updates:

Update 1 - 16/9/18

Personal Statement. Check. Course Choices. Check. My in school deadline is tomorrow - Jesus, that came around quickly - and my application is all but finished. My Head of House, who happens to be an English teacher and former journalist, has checked my personal statement once and I am just waiting on him to check my final version before I 'Pay and Send'.

My final course choices (all 4 year MEng degrees are):
    Cambridge, Durham, Warwick - General Engineering
    ICL, Southampton - EEE

At Cambridge I am applying to Pembroke and at Durham I am applying to Grey. We haven't received our predicted grades as yet, but I am pretty confident that I will be given 4 A*s. I have started doing some questions on i-want-to-study-engineering and whilst some of them are beyond my current level, I am satisfied at how many I correctly answered. My school aims to send off my application on 5th October and then I guess it is just a waiting game. Anyway, until next time, I will keep working hard!

Update 2 - 06/10/18

My application was sent off yesterday! In the end I was predicted 4A*s which I was obviously delighted with. I have recieved acknowledgements from Southampton and Cambridge and I am currently working on the SAQ. Got about 3 and a half weeks to prepare for the ENGAA now. Fun times! Other than that, its just a case of working hard (occasionally) and waiting to here back from universities. I also need to plan what I want to do for my 18th which is in less than a month! Anyway, until I hear back from a uni, that's all I really have to say at the moment.

Update 3 - 12/11/2018

So, I have an offer from Warwick, still waiting to hear from Durham, Southampton have said they intend on giving me an offer, I have an interview at ICL and I will hopefully hear if I have an interview at Cambridge this week. A levels are going pretty well at the moment. I procrastinate quite a lot but who doesn't?! I hope if I get an interview at Cambridge and that will probably motivate me to work harder. That's all I can be bothered to write at the moment because I should be doing work instead.

Update 4 - 04/12/2018

I guess now is an appropriate time for another update having just finished some work on integrating hyperbolic functions (what fun!). Yesterday I received an offer from Durham (yay!) so that's two offers thus far. Last week I had my Cambridge interviews and well, um, I thought the first one was great, but the second was more tragic than Romeo and Juliet. Now I know the correlation between perceived interview performance and getting an offer is 0.04, but I just feel that my second interview was objectively bad rather than subjectively bad. Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that my Cambridge dream is basically over (everyone else keeps telling me otherwise) so I'm just going to try and look forward to my ICL interview next week. I've got a long time to prepare myself for rejection on January 14th (Cambridge decisions day), but I guess if a miracle happens and I do get an offer it will be much sweeter! Until next time...

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to GYG 2018!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilynxlan)
    Welcome to GYG 2018!
    Thanks! Just spend time editing the original post to sort out formatting because it went a bit pear shaped when I originally created it! Sorted know though!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    best of luck with the uni applications:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    best of luck with the uni applications:hugs:
    Cheers mate!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Update 3 - 12/11/2018

So, I have an offer from Warwick, still waiting to hear from Durham, Southampton have said they intend on giving me an offer, I have an interview at ICL and I will hopefully hear if I have an interview at Cambridge this week. A levels are going pretty well at the moment. I procrastinate quite a lot but who doesn't?! I hope if I get an interview at Cambridge and that will probably motivate me to work harder. That's all I can be bothered to write at the moment because I should be doing work instead.

ReputationRep:
    Update 4 - 04/12/2018

I guess now is an appropriate time for another update having just finished some work on integrating hyperbolic functions (what fun!). Yesterday I received an offer from Durham (yay!) so that's two offers thus far. Last week I had my Cambridge interviews and well, um, I thought the first one was great, but the second was more tragic than Romeo and Juliet. Now I know the correlation between perceived interview performance and getting an offer is 0.04, but I just feel that my second interview was objectively bad rather than subjectively bad. Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that my Cambridge dream is basically over (everyone else keeps telling me otherwise) so I'm just going to try and look forward to my ICL interview next week. I've got a long time to prepare myself for rejection on January 14th (Cambridge decisions day), but I guess if a miracle happens and I do get an offer it will be much sweeter! Until next time...

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.