The Student Room Group

School wants us to send off our UCAS applications too early

My school wants our applications complete by late October which seems fair but they want us to send it off in November! This seems to early for me as I want more time to possible change around my chooses and universities. If I don't send it off by then could the school possibly find out?

(I'm not applying for Medicine or dentistry which have earlier deadlines)
(edited 5 years ago)
You can send it off with 1 choice on then add the rest later
Reply 2
Your application hasn’t been officially sent if there’s no reference and predicted grades, which would be done by your school. So if your school can’t put them in, it would be clear you haven’t finished your application/sent it. So they would know.
Original post by akpo
Your application hasn’t been officially sent if there’s no reference and predicted grades, which would be done by your school. So if your school can’t put them in, it would be clear you haven’t finished your application/sent it. So they would know.

I dont understand what you mean?? Anyway they have already started putting the references and perdicted grades in.
Original post by rumatar

I just want to send it off all at once and not rush it.
Original post by rumatar

Problem with this I think is that if you get an offer from that 1 choice you then can't add any more. It's a bit weird.

i agree with you OP, it does feel like a rush - if you're not doing early entry at my school you still have to get it done by October half term! But, if you put it in early you do start getting offers so I think that's why the schools like to do it (I know people at private schools who've already put in applications & got offers!)
Original post by FennonLupin
Problem with this I think is that if you get an offer from that 1 choice you then can't add any more. It's a bit weird.

No, that's not true.
Original post by ageshallnot
No, that's not true.

Do I need to have all my choices listed on my application when I send it to UCAS? There is no requirement to list all five choices (ie. the maximum allowed) when first sending the application to UCAS. You can add choices up to 30 June by signing into Track as long as no replies to offers have been recorded.

This is direct from UCAS's FAQs - that's just what I gathered from it but maybe I was wrong.
Reply 8
Do I need to have all my choices listed on my application when I send it to UCAS? There is no requirement to list all five choices (ie. the maximum allowed) when first sending the application to UCAS. You can add choices up to 30 June by signing into Track as long as no replies to offers have been recorded.

This is direct from UCAS's FAQs - that's just what I gathered from it but maybe I was wrong.

"no replies to offers have been recorded" may mean that you haven't put them as your firm or insurance or rejected their offer. That's how I read out to be.
Original post by Epitype
"no replies to offers have been recorded" may mean that you haven't put them as your firm or insurance or rejected their offer. That's how I read out to be.

Ah okay that does make sense, did seem a bit odd to me. Thanks!

i agree with you OP, it does feel like a rush - if you're not doing early entry at my school you still have to get it done by October half term! But, if you put it in early you do start getting offers so I think that's why the schools like to do it (I know people at private schools who've already put in applications & got offers!)

so when are you sending yours off? November?
anyway I have already spoken to the uni and they say that applying in October won't make an inch of difference. They said they would treat an application received by 14th of Jan the same as one sent in October. Dates don't matter to them, which is why I am so annoyed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Alien Gamer
anyway I have already spoken to the uni and they say that applying in October won't make an inch of difference. They said they would treat an application received by 14th of Jan the same as one sent in October. Dates don't matter to them, which is why I am so annoyed.

It's entirely up to you when you press the send button.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alien Gamer

Well I've sent mine off already (early entry) but yeah most people's get sent off mid-November. I agree with you, it's pretty dumb, because unless the Uni gives offers straight away there's bascially no benefit to doing it. Except getting it out the way I suppose.
I think there's maybe a couple of Unis(Durham?) who look on you favourably if you apply early becasue they think you're also applying to oxbridge. And also, some Unis are giving out offers already (Leeds, Bristol etc.) so they could have given out nearly all the places if you apply late. But if you've spoken to the Uni it's really annoying, tell the school maybe?
Reply 13
I think there's maybe a couple of Unis(Durham?) who look on you favourably if you apply early becasue they think you're also applying to oxbridge. And also, some Unis are giving out offers already (Leeds, Bristol etc.) so they could have given out nearly all the places if you apply late. But if you've spoken to the Uni it's really annoying, tell the school maybe?

Nope. It makes absolutely no difference to Durham or anyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending