Tips on first essay?

Watch this thread
username4064618
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I have my first ever essay in english lit this week - do you have any tips on a level essays in general?
89jim
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
please let me know if you still need help
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Quotes are less important than in high school. In high school, you probably used PEE, focusing mostly on the first "E".

Don't do that in Sixth Form. Come up with a solid idea, find one or two short quotes (less than 6/7 words) to support you, and go hard on your analysis. Sometimes a one-two word quote will do.

You should do your "explaining" in your "point", and start to analyse after your "evidence".

Think about context - the time in which the original audience would have been based, any political/religious beliefs that may have affect the writings, and - if you know them - any events in the author's life that may influence the text. For example, Charlotte Bronte was a governess and did go to a school where the majority of girls died from TB, much like Jane Eyre did.

Also think about critical opinions. What have other critics said about the text, and why might they have thought that? Do you agree with them? Why/why not?
username4064618
Rep:
(Original post by 89jim)
please let me know if you still need help
Hi yes - I still haven't done it yet. I think I have it Thursday (my teacher isn't telling us the date incase we don't attend) because I know that tomorrow we are doing a poem and Wednesday I do not have English
username4064618
Rep:
(Original post by esralled)
Quotes are less important than in high school. In high school, you probably used PEE, focusing mostly on the first "E".

Don't do that in Sixth Form. Come up with a solid idea, find one or two short quotes (less than 6/7 words) to support you, and go hard on your analysis. Sometimes a one-two word quote will do.

You should do your "explaining" in your "point", and start to analyse after your "evidence".

Think about context - the time in which the original audience would have been based, any political/religious beliefs that may have affect the writings, and - if you know them - any events in the author's life that may influence the text. For example, Charlotte Bronte was a governess and did go to a school where the majority of girls died from TB, much like Jane Eyre did.

Also think about critical opinions. What have other critics said about the text, and why might they have thought that? Do you agree with them? Why/why not?
Ok thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (277)
42.1%
The paper was reasonable (271)
41.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.12%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
7.6%

Watched Threads