Are Blacks actually disadvantaged socially in the UK? Watch

This discussion is closed.
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
"The system is biased against blacks"

I see this arguement very often but have yet to see any evidence for it. There is nothing holding back blacks from doing well in school and subsequently increasing their chances of a steady income, yet national statistics show that blacks preform the worst out if all ethnic groups and also have the highest percentage of people in the lowest income bracket.

Why have other minorities managed to succeed while blacks haven't?

Discuss
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
oh for god sake you are relentless.

Just like what I said in your thread that's been closed and for good reason:

if you want representation for another group of people that's fine, but dont bash other groups on the way.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
not all minorities have managed to succeed

have you seen the pakistani ghettos in sheffield and bradford?

(before any accuses me of racism, i'm asian myself, i'm just telling it how it is)
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oh lord. Another pointless thread on race, will these stop?
ErinaNakiri78
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by e^iπ)

I see this arguement very often but have yet to see any evidence for it. There is nothing holding back blacks from doing well in school and subsequently increasing their chances of a steady income, yet national statistics show that blacks preform the worst out if all ethnic groups and also have the highest percentage of people in the lowest income bracket.

Discuss
I agree with you honestly because I have never seen or experienced any discriminating behaviour towards black people.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ErinaNakiri78)
I agree with you honestly because I have never seen or experienced any discriminating behaviour towards black people. Some people may get mad at this, but I think some black people just use it as an excuse.
Are you black? Do you speak for black people?

it seems that you are a woman. Imagine, if I say that, as a man, I dont think women have any issues and MeToo / Feminism is BS; wouldn’t I come across as an idiot because I am not a woman?

Try to educate yourself. Ignorance is no longer respected.
FarhanHalim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I don’t think anyone in the UK is disadvantaged because of their race. The real problem is with class. But even with this, I think the UK is the real land of opportunity, not the US or anyone else. The sky is the limit with regards to how high your wealth can go here
e^iπ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
oh for god sake you are relentless.

Just like what I said in your thread that's been closed and for good reason:

if you want representation for another group of people that's fine, but dont bash other groups on the way.
I have no idea why that thread was closed, if I came across as aggressive or offended anyone, I'm sorry. but this is a genuine question I have and I have yet to get a straight answer.

Hopefully this thread doesn't get closed simply for asking a question which makes a few people uncomfortable die to their own squeemishness around discussing race issues
qwertyK
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think there is a lot of factors. Don't think I'm racist by me saying what I'm about to. I think in the UK blacks are actually far more disadvantaged than in America. For example:

) the chance of a black person being prime minister are virtually impossible according to the BBC
) There are never any blacks in jobs such as the police service
) Not enough blacks in teaching

Generally, and this is a generalisation, black people live in poorer communities.

My train line is the best example of it. On my train line, there is the fast line which I use. It runs through Essex but skips all the London suburbs (which includes areas such as Ilford, Manor Park, Chadwell heath etc) apart from Stratford. 99% of the people on that train are white.

On the slow train, which stops at all the stops, half of the people are BAME. My town is described as affluent. Less than 1.5% of the people living here are black. The borough next to mine, one of the most deprived in the country, (Thurrock) has 8% of people black.

Afro carribean children do the worst at school. It's very sad, and there are undoubtedly cultural reasons as well, but in America, they've had a black president. They have far more black people in positions such as police chiefs and government officials than we do. Name one black government official in Downing street. There's one ethnic minority, Sajid Javid, but he's not black, and went to a private school etc.

Black people seem to have a lower chance of "making it" in this country than the USA.
e^iπ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)

it seems that you are a woman. Imagine, if I say that, as a man, I dont think women have any issues and MeToo / Feminism is BS; wouldn’t I come across as an idiot because I am not a woman?

Nope, I'm a man.

I know a handful of black people who have succeeded despite coming from backgrounds some may regard as disadvantaged, even they agree that while success wasn't handed to them on a silver platter, they didn't face any obstacles that any other race wouldn't face in the same financial situation as them.

A lot of women do have issues with meToo btw.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by e^iπ)

Discuss
I saw your other thread and you have come up with this one. You seem to be obsessed with black people.

On the topic of racial socioeconomic conditions, you need to properly educate yourself on the issues faced by groups. The overwhelming determinant is poverty and ethnic minorities (dominated by black people) are more represented in poor environments.

I dont want to go into detail because I guess you dont really care about it. You just want to start a racially-charged debate to bash black people.

The sad thing is that you chose to start a thread about black people at this time of the night, which tells alot about your mental state.

Go to bed.
ErinaNakiri78
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

I am not being ignorant, I am being rational. there is a difference. And I specifically said 'some' black people not all, not most, I said SOME. Also I said my personal experience so I did not generalise my statement.
Woksin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think the problem is that often black neighbourhoods are statistically much poorer, have less opportunities and have worse performing schools. If that’s a problem with their work ethic or society disadvantage I’m yet to decide.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I saw your other thread and you have come up with this one. You seem to be obsessed with black people.

On the topic of racial socioeconomic conditions, you need to properly educate yourself on the issues faced by groups. The overwhelming determinant is poverty and ethnic minorities (dominated by black people) are more represented in poor environments.

I dont want to go into detail because I guess you dont really care about it. You just want to start a racially-charged debate to bash black people.

The sad thing is that you chose to start a thread about black people at this time of the night, which tells alot about your mental state.

Go to bed.

Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by e^iπ)
Nope, I'm a man.

I know a handful of black people who have succeeded despite coming from backgrounds some may regard as disadvantaged, even they agree that while success wasn't handed to them on a silver platter, they didn't face any obstacles that any other race wouldn't face in the same financial situation as them.

A lot of women do have issues with meToo btw.
You know a “handful” of black people. Because some people succeeded against the odds, does not mean that the barriers were not there.

”A lot of women” do not have issues with MeToo, there is more support of MeToo by women than anything.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
i

No one 'speaks for black people' nor does being x means you cannot accurately comment on the issues of y in general
e^iπ
Rep:
?
(Original post by qwertyK)
I think there is a lot of factors. Don't think I'm racist by me saying what I'm about to. I think in the UK blacks are actually far more disadvantaged than in America. For example:

) the chance of a black person being prime minister are virtually impossible according to the BBC
) There are never any blacks in jobs such as the police service
) Not enough blacks in teaching

Generally, and this is a generalisation, black people live in poorer communities.

My train line is the best example of it. On my train line, there is the fast line which I use. It runs through Essex but skips all the London suburbs (which includes areas such as Ilford, Manor Park, Chadwell heath etc) apart from Stratford. 99% of the people on that train are white.

On the slow train, which stops at all the stops, half of the people are BAME. My town is described as affluent. Less than 1.5% of the people living here are black. The borough next to mine, one of the most deprived in the country, (Thurrock) has 8% of people black.

Afro carribean children do the worst at school. It's very sad, and there are undoubtedly cultural reasons as well, but in America, they've had a black president. They have far more black people in positions such as police chiefs and government officials than we do. Name one black government official in Downing street. There's one ethnic minority, Sajid Javid, but he's not black, and went to a private school etc.

Black people seem to have a lower chance of "making it" in this country than the USA.
Surely just because there are not that many blacks in the police and teaching just indicates that not many blacks apply to these positions in the first place. I would concede to your point if you had statistics which show that the rate of success of blacks wanting to join the police or teaching (or any other position of authority) are lower than other minorities or whites.

Do you think the problem is that some of these communities adopt a victim complex in which they feel the government has failed them?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ErinaNakiri78)
I am not being ignorant, I am being rational. there is a difference. And I specifically said 'some' black people not all, not most, I said SOME. Also I said my personal experience so I did not generalise my statement.
You missed the point. Just because your personal experience does not show a particular situation does not mean that it does not exist.

I went to a top boarding school where no woman has been molested or abused or whatever. Even up until today, I have never had a close case of sexual abuse, harrasment or assault by any woman in my circle. Now, it would be idiotic to say that MeToo or feminism is far fetched because I have not had any direct experience.

You may have lived in your ignorant bubble does not mean that there is not life bubbling outside it. Many black people have experiences of barriers that have affected them, their family or community. Trying to argue it away is a bit stupid.
Truths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
On criminal justice

This report demonstrates that the policing and prosecutions of drug possession offences in England and Wales is unduly focussed on black and minority communities. This report looks at racial disparity rates at stop and search, arrest, prosecution and sentencing and clearly demonstrates that the drug laws in the UK are a major driver of the disproportionality that exists in our criminal justice system in relation to the black community.

https://www.release.org.uk/publicati...-drug-offences
qwertyK
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by e^iπ)
Surely just because there are not that many blacks in the police and teaching just indicates that not many blacks apply to these positions in the first place. I would concede to your point if you had statistics which show that the rate of success of blacks wanting to join the police or teaching (or any other position of authority) are lower than other minorities or whites.

Do you think the problem is that some of these communities adopt a victim complex in which they feel the government has failed them?
Some do, but the government has focused too much on importing multiculturalism. They are only interested in getting people for work, not making sure they settle down.

There is a black Tory MP running for London Mayor. He said something which really sums it up. He said that blacks intergrated far easier than Muslims and other cultures because we share religion and language.

There are bad blacks, just as there are bad whites. Some of the worst people I have met have been black, as have some of the best. I think some blacks do have this view that they are the victims, but I know a afro carribean black family, devout christians, who are the nicest people and would never complain.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.76%
Excited (122)
8.19%
Worried (279)
18.74%
Terrified (343)
23.04%
Meh (123)
8.26%
Confused (35)
2.35%