The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are Blacks actually disadvantaged socially in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
To get a top job, you have to have a good education; to get a good education; you have to go to a good state or private school; to go to a good private school, you have to be rich; to go to a good state school, you have to be living or have lived in a catchment area that has those schools.

A top job is one thing but to move from the underclass or the ghetto to the middle class, or even the upper working class, is a completely different ball game.

We have not mentioned adequate feeding, support network, after-school activities to boost your chances of going to the decent schools or Russell Group universities, protection from violence from living in deprived areas etc.

Large numbers of Asian children experienced equally lousy conditions at school and in their neighbourhood along with naff all services but they achieved better results than black Jamaican children. On top of that they had language barriers and teachers who knew even less about their cultural backgrounds, as well as confusing cultures and religions, than they knew about black Jamaicans. The race relations community was built around black Jamaicans and Asians have always played second fiddle resulting in worse services for them.
Original post by nmcc24
im a female and tbh feminism is bs. i have never felt repressed due to my gender and tbh i dont think many other girls in the west have either. yes we all have struggles but most of the time they arent society's fault.

The point is that it would be reckless to disregard the voices and complaints of millions of women, who have been affected by the system. Is it until you are brutally raped or attacked that you see the point in MeToo or feminism? The point is to change it so that you and your daughters do have to experience what others have.
Reply 42
Original post by Truths
I’m sorry hun, but until you walk through then shoes of a black person i dont see you think you can even begin to grasp what black peoples experience. Just because you don’t see it (why would you, you’re not subjected to it), it must not exist at the severity explained. That’s some heavy white narcisism there.

Are you black btw?

I went to a rough school and there were a fair amount of black people there. I was friend with the ones that tried hard and so went on to good universities to study subjects with good career prospects.

The ones that were ignorant of school and skived to smoke ended up on the dole, comparing how the system was against them. This is literally the case everywhere and with every race. There will be the strong ones who will take their own destiny into their own hands and those who will just blame others.

What I'm trying to understand is why the back community has a higher proportion of people in the blame the government camp
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Arran90
Large numbers of Asian children experienced equally lousy conditions at school and in their neighbourhood along with naff all services but they achieved better results than black Jamaican children. On top of that they had language barriers and teachers who knew even less about their cultural backgrounds, as well as confusing cultures and religions, than they knew about black Jamaicans. The race relations community was built around black Jamaicans and Asians have always played second fiddle resulting in worse services for them.

Exactly, There are many blacks in popular culture (film, music sport) so balcks are definitely seen in a more positive light than Asians by whites. Despite this Asians still perform better than their afro-caribbean counterparts.
Original post by Arran90
A top job is one thing but to move from the underclass or the ghetto to the middle class, or even the upper working class, is a completely different ball game.

This is not about first generation asians, who have language barriers and just came to the country. We are talking about existing young people who understand english and are integrated.

Many Asians, as far as I know, still have the support network that their black counterparts lack. Where it is more likely for an Asian child to have two parents at home, the stats suggest that black child end up with one parent, as the other one - usually the father - is locked up for an offence that his white counterpart would have gotten a slap on the wrist for or a crime that drove him to the limit to feed his family.

I talked about a top job because that is where you can truly come out poverty. Many middlers - middle income earners - are one bad loan or job loss away from poverty. Hence, why i did not include that in my previous comment.
Are you black? Where do you live? Are you from an impoverished inner city community in London or the bog standard english towns.

not witnessing any discrimination does not mean that it does not happen. That is the point that I am trying to get the OP to understand. Racism, prejudice and discrimination are real.

At least you have been to a private school. There are many people that have never ever set foot in an independent school. What they have, are teachers who cannot be bothered, communities riddled with drugs and crime, parents who are trying to earn enough to put food on the table, local authorities that would rather put them in jail than give them extra support to achieve the potential.

Yes, you are right, I dont know you. If you are black and you have suffered through the harshest elements of British society, then you should recognise what is been talked about. If you made it out of the jungle and you are now successful, dont bash everyone else because you made it. It is what people are talking about with successful black people who forgot where they came from.

First of all, I did not just go to a private school, I worked for it and got a scholarship there. I keep going back and forth with this, I AM NOT BASHING 'everyone else'. I said, as I have already told you, that 'some' people use it as an excuse, not all black people. So by what you are saying, you are implying that it is only the fault of 'white people' for the reason why not many 'black people' are successful in the UK and are not considering any other factors.
Original post by e^iπ
Nope, I'm a man.

I know a handful of black people who have succeeded despite coming from backgrounds some may regard as disadvantaged, even they agree that while success wasn't handed to them on a silver platter, they didn't face any obstacles that any other race wouldn't face in the same financial situation as them.

A lot of women do have issues with meToo btw.

You answered a post which was directed at Erina. Do you have 2 accounts?
Original post by Truths
I’m sorry hun, but until you walk through then shoes of a black person i dont see you think you can even begin to grasp what black peoples experience. Just because you don’t see it (why would you, you’re not subjected to it), it must not exist at the severity explained. That’s some heavy white narcisism there.

I AM black...
Reply 48
Original post by ErinaNakiri78
I AM black...

*plot twist*

person saying blacks are not disadvantaged compared to other ethnicities in the same financial situation is BLACK themselves

Meanwhile person perpetuating the blacks are disadvantaged myth is a white person who went or a private school and is probably a bleeding heart liberal who laps up the identity politics of the guardian and will soon become a Tory and start reading the telegraph after they water working at daddy's firm
(edited 5 years ago)
First of all, I did not just go to a private school, I worked for it and got a scholarship there. I keep going back and forth with this, I AM NOT BASHING 'everyone else'. I said, as I have already told you, that 'some' people use it as an excuse, not all black people. So by what you are saying, you are implying that it is only the fault of 'white people' for the reason why not many 'black people' are successful in the UK and are not considering any other factors.

Are you black? Answer my question. I answer yours.

Of course not, I have not stated that it is the fault of “white people”. My point on this topic is that the system that was created many years ago have institutionalised many black people and poverty that it is difficult for them to do or be anything else. Black people who make it are often the obscenely clever people who went to private schools or were lucky enough to go to one of the “Big 8 Universities”*, the sport stars like footballers, athletes etc. or those who go through crime. Based on stats, the mostly likely way for a black person to make it is through sports or crime, as the education system has failed them.

The first step in making real changes is to acknowledge there is one, but many people are wilfully ignorant that they would rather argue with you to their deaths that there isnt a problem than actually trying to fix it.

*Big 8 Universities: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial,
Manchester, LSE, Kings College London, UCL and Edinburgh.
Reply 50
Original post by Arran90
It's interesting how large numbers of Asian children from families where parents are quite poor or in low skilled jobs have become doctors, accountants etc. or at least managed to attain a comfortable middle class lifestyle as adults but it cannot be said for black Jamaican children from similar backgrounds despite claims that they share a religion and language with the white British folk. Interestingly, black African children perform better academically than black Jamaican children, as well as being far less likely to get involved in drugs and crime, and some evidence suggests that social mobility is higher in certain black African communities than it is in black Jamaican communities.

Also, why do black Jamaican boys overwhelmingly gravitate towards sports and music at school but dislike STEM subjects?

This is pointing in a direction that failures of black Jamaicans are a result of culture and attitude more so than race and financial status.

Ok. So once you get into ethnicity this subject carries a little more nuance. Asian is also too broad of a term. You’ll find disparities between south and East Asians and even between East Asian. The contrast between Bengalis and Pakistanis is night and day.
Explaining the disparity between Africans and Jamaicans - Jamaicans came to the UK to rebuild the railway service after WWII so the immigrants weren’t all that high skilled. For a long period Jamaican brits aspired to work for TFL it was a rite of passage moreofless. While African immigrants were generally highskilled (doctors/teachers) etc, so there’s is a values difference. Jamaicans are attracted to athletics in the same way they were attracted to the TFL, it’s a blueprint to success and security. Role models and visibility in others sectors will encourage them to other profession.

Now I think the fundamental reason why Asians, particularly Chinese/Indian/Pakistani has nothing to do with work ethic. They have an introverted economic ethic*. “Keeping it in the family”. Asian communities simply have greater solidarity. One reason is because unlike Christianity, Islam and Hinduism lay out very clear economic conventions. One of my classmates did not take out a tuition loan because loans with interest are against his faith, instead the mosque fundraised his tuition.
The OP unwittingly touched on this when he said black people are more immersed in the British culture than Asians, and that’s kinda the point. Assimilation pays a price, black people are very trusting of whites, blacks pay into the system but are never paid back. Blacks pay into the system everytime they exchange money with white hands, marry interracially etc. These things happen on a virtually nonexistent scale in asian communities. They keep to themselves, they take the white pound and reinvest it into their own communities. They don’t marry interracially, even go as far as to marry their distant cousins to keep the concentration of wealth in their ethnic group. This is value that counts in combatting white supremacy, economic introversion.
(edited 5 years ago)

Of course not, I have not stated that it is the fault of “white people”. My point on this topic is that the system that was created many years ago have institutionalised many black people and poverty that it is difficult for them to do or be anything else. Black people who make it are often the obscenely clever people who went to private schools or were lucky enough to go to one of the “Big 8 Universities”*, the sport stars like footballers, athletes etc. or those who go through crime. Based on stats, the mostly likely way for a black person to make it is through sports or crime, as the education system has failed them.

The first step in making real changes is to acknowledge there is one, but many people are wilfully ignorant that they would rather argue with you to their deaths that there isnt a problem than actually trying to fix it.

I am black but I thought you would have already figured out when I said I have never experienced discriminating behaviour toward me.
I am black but I thought you would have already figured out when I said I have never experienced discriminating behaviour toward me.

Ok. What I need you to do is to go out and meet other black people. Go to the inner cities of London or Manchester and engage with them. Listen to their stories then form a more complete opinion. Just because it did not happen to you does not mean that it does not exist.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 53
I AM black...

Lol sure, babe.
Reply 54
Original post by YaliaV
You answered a post which was directed at Erina. Do you have 2 accounts?

Oh wow. How embarassing. This can’t be his idea of fun on a saturday night :/

You asked Erina a question on the first page and the OP answered. It's very convenient that Erin's is black, but that's because she probably doesn't exist. I think they are the same person.
Reply 56
Original post by YaliaV
You asked Erina a question on the first page and the OP answered. It's very convenient that Erin's is black, but that's because she probably doesn't exist. I think they are the same person.

That was by mistake. I don't see why you have to resort to the old "fake account" excuse whenever something isn't going your own way.
Original post by YaliaV

I agree as well. Another “poster” responded to my feminism point but did not comment on my further response. My guess is they are all the same person with different accounts.
Are you black? Do you speak for black people?

it seems that you are a woman. Imagine, if I say that, as a man, I dont think women have any issues and MeToo / Feminism is BS; wouldn’t I come across as an idiot because I am not a woman?

Try to educate yourself. Ignorance is no longer respected.

I saw your other thread and you have come up with this one. You seem to be obsessed with black people.

On the topic of racial socioeconomic conditions, you need to properly educate yourself on the issues faced by groups. The overwhelming determinant is poverty and ethnic minorities (dominated by black people) are more represented in poor environments.

I dont want to go into detail because I guess you dont really care about it. You just want to start a racially-charged debate to bash black people.

The sad thing is that you chose to start a thread about black people at this time of the night, which tells alot about your mental state.

Go to bed.

You can't go accusing someone of wanting to 'bash black people' if they haven't said anything offensive directed to them. If you're so educated on the 'issues faced by groups' then don't you think it would be constructive for you to contribute to the topic and not be so triggered?
Reply 59
Original post by Truths
Lol sure, babe.

Seems you are very good at discerning whether people are black or not by their posts alone.

Are you black?
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest