Would I be able to afford to rent a flat in Leeds for Uni?

Watch
tortoiseMachine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hopefully next year I will be going to study Veterinary Nursing, I have been looking at University's and I am keen on Middlesex which has 3 campuses. One in London, one in Cambridge and one in Leeds. (The Cambridge and Leeds don't have student accommodation) Now I live on the outskirts of London so the London campus is an option but the Student accom is very expensive (700 a month) and the year after I would need to rent with other people. Unless I travel by train but its still a 1 - 2 hour train ride which I'm not sure that I want to do everyday.

I was looking at Leeds and I can rent a small apartment for 350 - 400 a month about 1 - 3 miles away from the campus, some include water-rates. Would this be better a better option and would I be able to afford bills?

I know iv'e got a while yet but I really want the best possible option, I'm 23 and have been Uni before doing a complete different subject but left after the 1st year. Partly because my student accommodation was disgusting and was making me ill.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tortoiseMachine)
Hopefully next year I will be going to study Veterinary Nursing, I have been looking at University's and I am keen on Middlesex which has 3 campuses. One in London, one in Cambridge and one in Leeds. (The Cambridge and Leeds don't have student accommodation) Now I live on the outskirts of London so the London campus is an option but the Student accom is very expensive (700 a month) and the year after I would need to rent with other people. Unless I travel by train but its still a 1 - 2 hour train ride which I'm not sure that I want to do everyday.

I was looking at Leeds and I can rent a small apartment for 350 - 400 a month about 1 - 3 miles away from the campus, some include water-rates. Would this be better a better option and would I be able to afford bills?

I know iv'e got a while yet but I really want the best possible option, I'm 23 and have been Uni before doing a complete different subject but left after the 1st year. Partly because my student accommodation was disgusting and was making me ill.
Is it a must that you have your own place and you wont live with other students? What about friends and isolation?

It depends what your budget is and how much of an essential having your own place is. If you lived three miles out then thats more like commuting imo, although in London terms it would still only be a 20 min bus ride or less.

You wont have a lot of options as 400 a months is quite low but if you are prepared to live further out then it would be possible.

https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flat...mode=list&

https://www.caw.ac.uk/about-us/centres/leeds/

The postcode is WF3 1DR Its going to be double or that in London or more..
tortoiseMachine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Is it a must that you have your own place and you wont live with other students? What about friends and isolation?

It depends what your budget is and how much of an essential having your own place is. If you lived three miles out then thats more like commuting imo, although in London terms it would still only be a 20 min bus ride or less.

You wont have a lot of options as 400 a months is quite low but if you are prepared to live further out then it would be possible.

https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flat...mode=list&

https://www.caw.ac.uk/about-us/centres/leeds/

The postcode is WF3 1DR Its going to be double or that in London or more..
It's not imperative that I live alone, but im just trying to work out where I could have the best lifestyle. I don't think I would fee very comfortable moving into shared accomodation without knowing anyone first so obviously that wont be possible with Leeds or Cambridge.
My other reasoning for Leeds was that the shared housing in both London and Cambridge started at 600+ and I was thinking if I have the option to live in my own flat, why wouldnt I?

I would be able to get the entire maintence loan, and also I work full time now, so I will be saving hopefully £3000 - 4000 that will go towards living aswell.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tortoiseMachine)
It's not imperative that I live alone, but im just trying to work out where I could have the best lifestyle. I don't think I would fee very comfortable moving into shared accomodation without knowing anyone first so obviously that wont be possible with Leeds or Cambridge.
My other reasoning for Leeds was that the shared housing in both London and Cambridge started at 600+ and I was thinking if I have the option to live in my own flat, why wouldnt I?

I would be able to get the entire maintence loan, and also I work full time now, so I will be saving hopefully £3000 - 4000 that will go towards living aswell.
What you could do is try and organises a house share with first year vet nurses.
Obviously accommodation is much cheaper than Cam or London. If you really want to live on your own then its possible you just might be a few miles away from campus. Its about the student experience. If you like your own company and considering you are a bit older then you should be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.28%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.71%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.2%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.84%
No - I live at home during term anyway (47)
25.97%

Watched Threads