The Student Room Group

Private tutoring

I have been considering doing some private tutoring to eventually replace my current job as I start at 6am (this is effecting my grades)! However, I have some questions:
Do they come to me?
How much shall I charge?
How to I go about advertising?
I currently study the 3 sciences at alevel with a plan to go on to become a vet in the future. I would be looking to tutor maths (foundation), bio, chem and phys at GCSE level.
My biggest issue is, I live at 2 adresses about 3 miles apart. I alternate weekends and I cannot yet drive.
Is private tutorting something I could consider and how would I get round this issue if yes?
Thank you!

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

This tutoring company pays up to £24 per hour - apply to become a tutor here

Discussion on how to become a tutor here
(edited 5 years ago)
I think you'd generally go to their home rather than them coming to you. That way their parents can be safe knowing their child isn't in a strangers house and can keep an eye on them. Which means your main problem would be transport - how are you going to get to where the children live? They could live far from any train stations or bus stops. Unless an older sibling or parent is willing to take you there then you're stuck.

There are companies online who hire tutors but they usually require at least degree-level knowledge.
I have both had tutors come to me and gone to them. If you go to them you'd either have to get public transport or use a parent or a bicycle; if they come to you it probably wouldn't matter too much that you'd be at a different address some of the time, as long as you make sure it's totally clear where you are each time so there are no mix-ups and peeved people.
You could advertise with print-outs in shops and, of course, schools. Also spread the word around to friends who have siblings of GCSE age, and ask them to spread it around too.
As for the amount you charge, around £10-15/h I think would be reasonable... You can start of lowish and go higher as you get more experience.
Original post by gsemma
I have been considering doing some private tutoring to eventually replace my current job as I start at 6am (this is effecting my grades)! However, I have some questions:
Do they come to me?
How much shall I charge?
How to I go about advertising?
I currently study the 3 sciences at alevel with a plan to go on to become a vet in the future. I would be looking to tutor maths (foundation), bio, chem and phys at GCSE level.
My biggest issue is, I live at 2 adresses about 3 miles apart. I alternate weekends and I cannot yet drive.
Is private tutorting something I could consider and how would I get round this issue if yes?
Thank you!

What experience do you have? Will you have the time? I hour hour lesson will need travel time, preparation, marking ... I'd focus on A levels and getting the right work experience; you'll need top grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending