New Wonder
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently self-teaching myself Philosophy and the reason why is because I absolutely love the subject and I find it VERY interesting but there are very few resources available so it would be of great help if any of you could share some resources for the new Philosophy AQA A-level Spec.

Thanks
Hannay(FTGI)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by New Wonder)
I am currently self-teaching myself Philosophy and the reason why is because I absolutely love the subject and I find it VERY interesting but there are very few resources available so it would be of great help if any of you could share some resources for the new Philosophy AQA A-level Spec.

Thanks
I'm doing the same thing in self-teaching, but I'll be taking the year after. I was thinking of emailing AQA to find out what they say. I have looked at the specification and they mention lots of texts to read, but I doubt we would have to read each and every book in and out, unlike English Lit where you would have to. I think it would be certain quotes in these texts more like instead of the whole thing. That's the only thing that concerns me because I don't want to just go out there and buy all these books when I don't have to and I already have a lot of reading to do with English Lit and also I work so I have a lot to do...

What other subjects are you taking? Are you planning on going to uni?
New Wonder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hannay(FTGI))
I'm doing the same thing in self-teaching, but I'll be taking the year after. I was thinking of emailing AQA to find out what they say. I have looked at the specification and they mention lots of texts to read, but I doubt we would have to read each and every book in and out, unlike English Lit where you would have to. I think it would be certain quotes in these texts more like instead of the whole thing. That's the only thing that concerns me because I don't want to just go out there and buy all these books when I don't have to and I already have a lot of reading to do with English Lit and also I work so I have a lot to do...

What other subjects are you taking? Are you planning on going to uni?
I will be taking the exam next year too. That’s a good idea to email AQA to ask them about the resources that they have - I will make sure to send them an email too.

I personally bought the AQA Philosophy Student Textbook from the Hodder Education - it is really good and it helps you to understand fundamental philosophical concepts and it has a lot of examples. I would suggest you might want to ha e a look at this book; here is the link to access it https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/AQA-A-level...641ee1ffff5e2c

I am taking Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Biology. I am planing to apply for medicine. From looking at that taking Philosophy looks like an outlier but I really do enjoy the subject
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I will be taking the exam next year too. That’s a good idea to email AQA to ask them about the resources that they have - I will make sure to send them an email too.

I personally bought the AQA Philosophy Student Textbook from the Hodder Education - it is really good and it helps you to understand fundamental philosophical concepts and it has a lot of examples. I would suggest you might want to ha e a look at this book; here is the link to access it https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/AQA-A-level...641ee1ffff5e2c

I am taking Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Biology. I am planing to apply for medicine. From looking at that taking Philosophy looks like an outlier but I really do enjoy the subject
I found this - https://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/phi.../resource-list
yeh I’ve seen that book too and will probably buy it.
dont you think you’re taking on quite a lot with those subjects of yours??
New Wonder
Rep:
?
Those resources look great - I will have a look at them when I ha e time. Thanks sharing it.

A lot of people think that but I might drop Physics at then end of the year 12 so I will keep studying Philosophy. Sure the workload is quiet heavy but if I manage my time right it shouldn’t be too stressful tbh but I do enjoy the subject.
New Wonder
Rep:
?
What subjects are you taking and what are thinking Ir applying for at uni.
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What subjects are you taking and what are thinking Ir applying for at uni.
I’m only doing subjects which I find interesting and can revise them for long periods of time without losing concentration. My ones are Philosophy, English lit and economics. I work full time and can go away on tour (army...) at anytime so need ones that I really enjoy and give minimal stress haha! I’m looking at universities in London only, King’s (preferred), UCL, LSE and QMUL and I’m looking at international relations
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m only doing subjects which I find interesting and can revise them for long periods of time without losing concentration. My ones are Philosophy, English lit and economics. I work full time and can go away on tour (army...) at anytime so need ones that I really enjoy and give minimal stress haha! I’m looking at universities in London only, King’s (preferred), UCL, LSE and QMUL and I’m looking at international relations
What about you, which universities have you been looking at?
New Wonder
Rep:
?
What about you, which universities have you been looking at?
I am looking at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, St George’s and Queen Mary
New Wonder
Rep:
?
I am looking at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, St George’s and Queen Mary
It would be my dream to get an offer to study medicine at Cambridge
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would be my dream to get an offer to study medicine at Cambridge
Yeh wow that would be amazing! You’d need some pretty high grades. My dream is kings because the course looks very good although I’d still take LSE, but the BSc doesn’t look as good and I may find it boring.

What do you think the best way is to revise for long periods of time?
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
my notes are about 75% complete: https://alevelphilosophyblog.wordpress.com/
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joe312)
my notes are about 75% complete: https://alevelphilosophyblog.wordpress.com/
Oh right, I’ll have a look in a bit. Why have you done that, because I’ve seen you’ve done it for various exam boards? Are you a tutor or something?
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh right, I’ll have a look in a bit. Why have you done that, because I’ve seen you’ve done it for various exam boards? Are you a tutor or something?
I am indeed!
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am indeed!
What do you do for work if you don’t mind me asking, or is this your full time job?
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you do for work if you don’t mind me asking, or is this your full time job?
It's my full time job. No half measures!
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's my full time job. No half measures!
What was your philosophy course like at king’s? Do you know much about IR or international development at king’s? I’m interested in either of those.
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What was your philosophy course like at king’s? Do you know much about IR or international development at king’s? I’m interested in either of those.
I thought all the staff at the Philosophy dept were excellent. Don't know anything about other depts sadly!
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought all the staff at the Philosophy dept were excellent. Don't know anything about other depts sadly!
Decent! I’ve only heard good things about king’s, so it tops my list. Got any top tips for studying A-level philosophy?
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Decent! I’ve only heard good things about king’s, so it tops my list. Got any top tips for studying A-level philosophy?
Yeah, study all year, practice essay writing and make sure you do everything in the mark scheme for the grade you want. Don't worry if you have times of delirious confusion where you wish you could give your brain a massage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (202)
19.27%
Labour (444)
42.37%
Liberal Democrats (204)
19.47%
Green Party (54)
5.15%
Brexit Party (28)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.43%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.95%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)