Work, Rest... Play? [Year 12 - Anna's GYG] Watch

TheImpossibleOne
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago

Hello!
:hello:

My name is Anna and I am a sixth form student currently in Year 12. I'm studying English Literature, Drama, History, and Sociology. I've been in sixth form for a couple of weeks so far, and I thought now would be the best time to do one of these threads! Not that I have done anything like this before... so bear with me! :jiggy:

Academic History
Due to a really difficult situation that was out of my control, I only had about five months to study all of my GCSEs in Year 11. Everything always seemed to be a mad rush in terms of my GCSE studies; I barely had time to breathe, and I admit that it was really stressful and hard.

So bearing in mind all of that... I was actually really proud of my GCSE results! If I'm honest; it's now nice to be in Year 12 and to be able to *somewhat* take my time and not have to plough through everything like a constant marathon. :vroam:

My GCSE Results:
Spoiler:
Show

English Language: 9
English Literature: 9
History: A
Drama: 6
Combined Science: 5-4
Mathematics: U

• I had an English teacher who barely marked me above a pass for both English Language and Literature - so to attain two 9s at the end of my GCSE exams was a massive shock; I was thrilled! :banana:

• I had no predicted grade for History, so I honestly had no idea what to expect until I saw my results; but it was definitely not an A that I was expecting, so again I was really pleased.

• Drama was one of the subjects that I was least prepared for, and I think if I had more time to prepare I could have attained at least a grade 7 or above. I was about five marks off a grade 7 in my final grade, which was obviously a little frustrating; but given the time I had to prepare, I was still happy with my final result.

• I have never had much of an aptitude for Science and I found the GCSE exams for them really tough; so a part of me expected to fail. Bearing in mind I had very little time to prepare for this subject, and I wouldn't consider myself very good at this subject - I was really happy with the results I got at the end. Though... if I see another chemical equation again, I think my brain might die. :afraid:

• And Maths, well... that's a whole different story. :ahhhhh: My teacher was really unhelpful since he kept swapping me between the foundation and higher tiers, and then only at the last minute state that no one is allowed to sit foundation and we all had to do higher. But it's okay; I'm doing a Maths resit in January, so fingers crossed! :crossedf:

Goals for this year:
Spoiler:
Show

I think that this is really the time to slow down and pace myself now I won't be having a disrupted two years of study. But I am more motivated with my studies than ever before!

• I want to do the very best I can possibly do this year, so my primary goal is to work hard and stay motivated throughout the course of this year.

• I am thinking about taking an extra GCSE that I study in my spare time so that, on the provision that I pass maths and then an extra GCSE, I have 8 in total. I will see how I go though; I don't want to push myself too hard and then not be able to cope. But I am definitely considering it... but not sure which extra subject I will take yet.

• However - I am not a machine and I realise the importance of looking after yourself more than ever. So I will make sure that I don't completely burn myself out and take time to look after myself.

• It is my second year at the college I am currently attending, but a whole new set of people came in whilst the majority of my old year went to pastures new. Also, the structure of sixth form is a whole different world to Year 11 and below - so it sometimes feels like I am at a brand new school! I want to make new friends and, once again, take some time out for myself to have fun.

• I want to immerse myself in new experiences and go for as much as possible - besides school-related work, and without tiring out too much! This is the time to try new things and do what I love without overloading myself. :groovy:

My Interests:
Spoiler:
Show

I am extremely passionate about voluntary work. I am an Ambassador for the NSPCC, #iwill and the National Children's Bureau, a Journalist for First News, and currently awaiting my training dates to become a counsellor for Childline. I won four awards for my voluntary hours with different charities, and in June I won a Childhood Champion award for Outstanding Young Volunteer of the Year for my region (and I was nominated for the whole UK!). I love my volunteering because I want to make a difference in the world and inspire others to do the same. I believe that anyone can do whatever they put their minds do - and I am grateful to have a voice that can help enforce change for the better.

Besides my volunteering, I love the performing arts; particularly acting and musical theatre. I am currently on my first paid acting role over the Halloween period, which I am really excited about!! On top of that, I love writing and I do this on a daily basis.

Future Aspirations:
Spoiler:
Show

... absolutely no idea.:bricks:

This is a difficult one for me, as I have many varied interests, but I am not sure where this would lead too. I definitely know that I want to change people's lives for the better and make a difference in the world... but I am not sure where this would lead to yet.

I would definitely consider Law, Journalism, a field in the performing arts... or something I haven't even thought of yet. I think I want to go to university, but again, it depends what I want to do!

I feel like there is a lot of pressure for people our age to know *exactly* what we want to do with our lives. Some people have their whole lives planned out, some people have a rough idea what they want to do - but for me, I'm not ready to make that decision yet.

But that's okay. I'm sure I will work it out - when I'm ready. :parrot:

Updates:

Tag List:

Now you know more about me - feel free to follow me through my journey of Year 12! I reckon that it will be a stressful year - but I'm excited for the future ahead! :ta:
Last edited by TheImpossibleOne; 2 months ago
Toastiekid
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
can i join the tag list? this looks awesome:gah:
best of luck:hugs: well done on all that volunteering:woo:
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
can i join the tag list? this looks awesome:gah:
best of luck:hugs: well done on all that volunteering:woo:
Just added you to the tag list - and thank you! That means a lot.
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?

Update One
Thursday 11th October 2018

It has been a particularly busy week with me in terms of school and extra-curricular events. But I have been managing to balance both well - so all is going good so far!

This year, I am a Scare Actor at a large-scale Halloween event for seven nights in October. I thoroughly enjoy my work; it is my first paid professional acting job, so I have really been putting my all into it. I have had two paid rehearsals so far, and I have my final dress rehearsal tomorrow evening. I am playing a character called Duster Beaton, who is a miming psychotic comedian that also happens to be really bad at magic tricks. I have never done mime before, so it has been a really fun challenge.

As well as my job, I have managed to keep on top of my college classes and work. Maths is a particular struggle for me, so I often try to practice it regularly. I am currently at an E/D level; so I am hoping that I can turn this around by the time it gets to January. We will see.

Good news though; on my first official Sociology assignment, I got 18/19! I got knocked down a mark due to missing a point in one of my answers, but otherwise, considering this is my first marked piece of work for my report; I'm really pleased.

I believe that doing nothing *but* schoolwork, all the time, can have a detrimental effect on your wellbeing. Whilst education is extremely important, it is also good to balance your schoolwork with the things you love doing too. If there is something you want to do outside of school, my suggestion would be to go for it! Just make sure that you don't overload yourself too much. Make sure you keep some time to yourself, too. :groovy:
Last edited by TheImpossibleOne; 3 months ago
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Can I join your tag list please? This looks amazing! :woo:
Congrats on your first Sociology assignment being amazing!! :gah:
Good luck with Year 12!! :rave:
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Can I join your tag list please? This looks amazing! :woo:
Congrats on your first Sociology assignment being amazing!! :gah:
Good luck with Year 12!! :rave:
Thank you so much! I will add you now. :wavey:
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Love This So Far!! Good Luck
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
Love This So Far!! Good Luck
Thank you! I'll tag you in my thread so you can see updates.
gw07mcgheerachel
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TheImpossibleOne)
Thank you! I'll tag you in my thread so you can see updates.
Thanks! Mind checking out my GYG when you have a spare minute?x
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
Thanks! Mind checking out my GYG when you have a spare minute?x
I will do!
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?

Update Two
Saturday 13th October 2018

... to say that I am shattered would be the understatement of the year.

I have had an extremely hectic week with rehearsals, and I didn't get in much before midnight on my final dress rehearsal. It is gruelling having to maintain energy for such a long period of time; and tonight, I have to maintain it for five hours straight on the first press night.

But I am loving every second of it. It is just extremely draining. :burnout:

I found out on Thursday, after I did my update, that I attained 35/39 in my final Sociology assignment - which was the top mark in the class! I am pretty proud of myself, considering that I am finishing late virtually every night and I am having to balance school work and my job at the same time.

Tonight, as I said, is the press night, where all of the VIP guests, newspapers, cameras and even YouTube vloggers come in to the mazes. That will be really fun, but I have a feeling I will barely be able to move for a year by the time it is all over. I am really excited though! I would attach photos if TSR would let me, but for some reason, my computer won't let me... :mute:

Anyway, that's all from me today! I will let you guys know how the first press night goes - I am hoping well! :evilbanana:
gw07mcgheerachel
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Update Two
Saturday 13th October 2018

... to say that I am shattered would be the understatement of the year.

I have had an extremely hectic week with rehearsals, and I didn't get in much before midnight on my final dress rehearsal. It is gruelling having to maintain energy for such a long period of time; and tonight, I have to maintain it for five hours straight on the first press night.

But I am loving every second of it. It is just extremely draining. :burnout:

I found out on Thursday, after I did my update, that I attained 35/39 in my final Sociology assignment - which was the top mark in the class! I am pretty proud of myself, considering that I am finishing late virtually every night and I am having to balance school work and my job at the same time.

Tonight, as I said, is the press night, where all of the VIP guests, newspapers, cameras and even YouTube vloggers come in to the mazes. That will be really fun, but I have a feeling I will barely be able to move for a year by the time it is all over. I am really excited though! I would attach photos if TSR would let me, but for some reason, my computer won't let me... :mute:

Anyway, that's all from me today! I will let you guys know how the first press night goes - I am hoping well! :evilbanana:
Enjoy your night
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?
Update Three
Sunday 14th October 2018

I am pretty sure I no longer have working legs! :shot:

We had such a successful press night; going in the maze with a load of cameras, YouTubers, reviewers, newspapers etc is pretty cool! I am based in a maze which is entirely made up of clowns. I play a character called Duster Beaton, who is a black and white, comedic and a psychotic clown. It is a really fun role to play... but jumping around like mad for five hours whilst screaming, non stop, is exhausting. But I am loving every second of it - and have six more nights to go!

Tomorrow I am going to a UCAS exhibition specifically for the creative and performing arts, which is intruiging to me because I am interested in finding out more about the performing arts. I am also going to get some work done in the morning, as I won't be having any lessons tomorrow.

Overall, I'm knackered - but happy. :groovy:
gw07mcgheerachel
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Enjoy the UCAS exhibition!
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago

Update Four
Friday 26th October 2018

I feel like I haven't updated my GYG blog in ages!

It has been nearly two weeks since I wrote my last post, and it has been extremely hectic with a number of different things going on.

I went to the UCAS exhibition about two weeks ago, and on the contrary, it told me where not to go! It was interesting hearing about all of the different universities and what they had to offer, but there wasn't really any there that caught my interest. However, it gave me a lot more insight about a field I didn't know too much about - journalism. It is a field that has definitely captivated my interest and it is something I am interested in looking into.

However, I went to a particular university stand at the UCAS event, and after telling them my predicted grades, the member of staff for Journalism started telling me about other universities to look into (such as Bournemouth and Westminster), as well as tips about what to go for and what to avoid. I have never known a university to actually tell a prospective student to look somewhere else for a course!

I am currently on half term, but it doesn't feel much like a half term because I am so busy all the time! Amongst half term work, I have had about five night shifts at the Halloween event I am working at as a scare actor. I really enjoy my job, and I have made so many new friends through it - but the term 'draining' in relation to the job would be the understatement of the year. Technically I am meant to be on shift tonight, but after coming down with a nasty virus I have had to take the night off. I am always one for being commitment to everything I do, regardless of how I feel - but I knew that if I pushed through tonight, my health may worsen and I may be forced to not work the final two nights. I am definitely going to my shift tomorrow, though - regardless of how I feel! I definitely do not want to let my team down. :evilbanana:

I have also recently received my half-term report, which I am really pleased with! My personal tutor stated that I have shown a 'commitment to education that is commendable', which meant so much to me. I highly place value on the importance of education, and I always do my best to work hard in classes and in my free time.

These were my grades:

Drama
Attitude to Learning: 5 (highest grade you can get for this)
Working at Grade: B

English Literature
Attitude to Learning: 5
Working at Grade: A

History
Working at Grade: B

Sociology
Working at Grade: A

GCSE Maths Retake
Attitude to Learning: (did not get a grade)
Working at Grade: 3

Since this is only the beginning of the year, I am extremely pleased with the grades I attained. I have also made a massive improvement in Maths; I went from a grade U to working at a grade 3, which is a huge achievement for me as Maths is not my strong suit. I hope to resit in January and potentially pass... we will see!
Last edited by TheImpossibleOne; 2 months ago
KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Looks great! Good luck. Can I join the taglist?
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by KawaiiArtist)
Looks great! Good luck. Can I join the taglist?
Thank you! I will add you to the tag list now.
troubletracking
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This thread looks sick:gah:
I'm also in year 12 and do History and English lit, may I ask what units/ books you do if you know?
Good luck:rave:
TheImpossibleOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by troubletracking)
This thread looks sick:gah:
I'm also in year 12 and do History and English lit, may I ask what units/ books you do if you know?
Good luck:rave:
Hi! Thank you, this is so sweet.

I am doing AQA for both History and English. For History, I am doing 'The Making of a Superpower: USA 1865-1975' as my first component, and 'The English Revolution: 1625-1660' as my second component. For English, we are currently studying Frankenstein and Wordsworth.

I'll add you to my tag list.
troubletracking
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! Thank you, this is so sweet.

I am doing AQA for both History and English. For History, I am doing 'The Making of a Superpower: USA 1865-1975' as my first component, and 'The English Revolution: 1625-1660' as my second component. For English, we are currently studying Frankenstein and Wordsworth.

I'll add you to my tag list.
Ah, I'm on also AQA for history but doing Russia and 20 century Britain. I'm on OCR for English (), so I'm not doing any of your texts but I'm currently trying to plunder through Frankenstein for wider reading and it's not going very well:lol:
Thank you! I'll look forward to hearing about your journey:hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (586)
80.27%
Leave (144)
19.73%

Watched Threads