The Student Room Group

Is morality subjective or objective?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
My point is exactly what you quoted and bolded, and i can see humour and literary references are wasted on you.

I agree with you about the change in the morality of slavery. It demonstrates that morality is entirely subjective.

And how does that counter the point I previously made about how just because something is legal and normal that doesn't make it morally right?

Whats so funny about friendless Nick. Who the hell is Nick?
Original post by onefunnybunny
I can't help it. I'm laughing.
You are sidestepping my point, which is solely about morality, not about animals.

I agree that an act's legality does not make it a moral act, nor the reverse. For instance, I consider assisted suicide to be entirely moral and acceptable (in the right circumstances, of course), yet it is completely illegal in the UK; I suspect most of the public agrees with me, but religious nutters hold sway for the moment. On the other hand, tax evasion is perfectly legal but, in some circumstances, entirely immoral.

I can't see what I'm sidestepping.
(edited 5 years ago)
Smh if you think morality is objective then you don't understand the definition of objectivity
I agree that an act's legality does not make it a moral act, nor the reverse. For instance, I consider assisted suicide to be entirely moral and acceptable (in the right circumstances, of course), yet it is completely illegal in the UK; I suspect most of the public agrees with me, but religious nutters hold sway for the moment. On the other hand, tax evasion is perfectly legal but, in some circumstances, entirely immoral.

I can't see what I'm sidestepping.

Darn. This is funny, but the joke is on me this time. I am having a bit of trouble using this site, and I missed what message was meant for whom. Apologies.
As \I said, humour is wasted on you, Nick.

Its not funny. Vegans don't even eat grass. So somebody just makes something completely up, passes it of as fact, and uses it to tell an unfunny Joke?

We live in a very sad world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending