The Student Room Group

2019 Computer Science Applicants

Hi, thought I'd make this thread for everybody planning on applying for computer science for 2019 entry. Would be great if we could share advice and just tell a bit about yourself here.

I'm doing A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
Outside of school, I'm a Manchester City fan and like cricket too.

I picked computer science because new technology fascinates me and do coding as a hobby and find it quite fun. I'm hoping to apply for Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester, Edinburgh and Warwick.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sergio000
Hi, thought I'd make this thread for everybody planning on applying for computer science for 2019 entry. Would be great if we could share advice and just tell a bit about yourself here.

I'm doing A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
Outside of school, I'm a Manchester City fan and like cricket too.

I picked computer science because new technology fascinates me and do coding as a hobby and find it quite fun. I'm hoping to apply for Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester, Edinburgh and Warwick.

Hi! :hello:I'm Shadow,
I am doing A Levels in Computer Science, Maths and Biology.
I picked Computer Science cos it's really interesting and I love programming. Also I really hate writing so Comp sci is great for me lol. I'm applying to Southampton, Leeds, Loughborough, Bath and York
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Does Imperial College for Meng CompSci with AI/ML require STEP I or II or III?
Reply 3
Original post by AZ_1234
Does Imperial College for Meng CompSci with AI/ML require STEP I or II or III?

From what I know, you will either get a STEP I or II offer depending on how your interview goes (but never STEP III and usually just STEP I).

They said at the open day that the only way you could avoid STEP all together last year as part of the offer was if you did 4 A levels including Maths and Further Maths AND an EPQ.

Usually, you need a grade 2 in the relevant STEP paper, so I'm just going to practice for STEP I and then practice further if I get an offer :smile:
Reply 4
Hi guys,
I'm from France and applying for faster route at scotland unis (st and, ed and glasgow) + Imperial . I already have my results: 16.52/20 overall (with16 in maths and 15 in computing and physics)
I'm actually studying first year electrical and computing engineering
what about you?
Original post by Sergio000
From what I know, you will either get a STEP I or II offer depending on how your interview goes (but never STEP III and usually just STEP I).

They said at the open day that the only way you could avoid STEP all together last year as part of the offer was if you did 4 A levels including Maths and Further Maths AND an EPQ.

Usually, you need a grade 2 in the relevant STEP paper, so I'm just going to practice for STEP I and then practice further if I get an offer :smile:

I went to their JMC taster course this summer and they did clarify from this year onwards they (both JMC and CS) will be giving out more 4 A Level offers which meant those with 3 A Levels would have to get a STEP II/III offer of 2 or above
I did know someone from last year who dropped Psychology and maintained 3 A Levels (Maths, FMaths, Physics) and got a CS offer with a 1 and a 2 from STEP II and III which is pretty hard to reach and she eventually didn’t reach such requirement and went for UCL instead
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey guys :bl:

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths & Economics as a private candidate and applying for Computer Science and Maths as a joint degree. So far I've only really picked Leeds as one of my choices.
Didn't find a computer science thread, so I thought I'd make one.

University Choices:
Grades:
Extracurriculars:
Are you applying for other courses as well?
University Choices:
Cambridge
Durham
Exeter
Lancaster
Bath

Grades:
GCSEs: two 8s, six A*s, one A
A in AS Further Maths
Predicted A*A*AA in Maths, Comp Sci, FMaths and Physics

Extracurriculars: Swimming, Chess, Cyber Security and Cryptography Stuff, Web Development, Preparing for BMO

Are you applying for other courses as well?: Actually applying for Computer Science with Maths 50/50 courses
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm an international student from Iran, applyign for Compute Science BSc (g400).

University Choices: UCL, Cambridge, Warwick, Southampton, Bristol

Grades: Depending on which of my grades they'll count , either A*A*A*AB (Differential & Integral Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Chemistry, Analytic Geometry, Physics) or A*A*B (Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics).

Extracurriculars: Piano; teaching English; learning French; teaching C++ programming; I know several other languages such as Java, Bash, HTML/CSS, Python, Visual Basic.

Are you applying for other courses as well? Nope, but I picked the 50% option in my Cambridge application.
I also made this thread for anyone who's applying for UCL!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5616004
Original post by maryam_g
I'm an international student from Iran, applyign for Compute Science BSc (g400).

University Choices: UCL, Cambridge, Warwick, Southampton, Bristol

Grades: Depending on which of my grades they'll count , either A*A*A*AB (Differential & Integral Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Chemistry, Analytic Geometry, Physics) or A*A*B (Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics).

Extracurriculars: Piano; teaching English; learning French; teaching C++ programming; I know several other languages such as Java, Bash, HTML/CSS, Python, Visual Basic.

Are you applying for other courses as well? Nope, but I picked the 50% option in my Cambridge application.

.سلام
.من از ایران هستم

Applying anywhere in Iran too? Sharif is pretty good.
Original post by thotproduct
.سلام
.من از ایران هستم

Applying anywhere in Iran too? Sharif is pretty good.

سلام :smile:

Not really. I'm taking a gap year right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply 13
University Choices: Warwick, Imperial, King's, Southampton/Nottingham/Birmingham ..
Grades: predicted A*A*A (30/31 in Slovenia, taking Slovene, Higher English, Maths, CS theory, CS project)
Extracurriculars: Website development, gaming, C, C++, C#, ... volleyball, athletics, a polyglot
Are you applying for other courses as well? I'm applying for Cyber Security related courses at Warwick and Imperial
University Choices:
Lancaster
Worcester
Hull
Lincoln
Grades: D*D*D* (I'm a BETC student so this is the equivalent to A*A*A*)
Extracurriculars: Driving, Work, Pole fitness and binge watching
Are you applying for other courses as well? I have applied to some BSc and some MSc and Worcester dont have computer science so i applied for their Computing course instead.
Anyone on here got the Campus Society App??
Hi I'm a fellow human :hello:,
I'm studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics A levels. I've applied to University of Manchester, Cambridge, Leeds, Birmingham and Lancaster for Comp Sci, 2 of which are degree apprenticeships with PwC. So far, I got an offer from Lancaster, which if I make my firm is unconditional and Leeds have said I've met their requirements, however, I just need to hear back from PwC if they select me for an applicant day.
(edited 5 years ago)
Anyone got any offers yet?? :s-smilie:
University Choices: Aston, Leicester, Nottingham, Coventry, De Montfort
Grades: Predicted A*AA
Extracurriculars: Cricket, Web development business, part time job CS related
Are you applying for other courses as well? Nope

Had an offer of ABB (BBB if firmed) from Leicester so far. Anyone had any from the others?
Original post by metamorphic
Anyone got any offers yet?? :s-smilie:

I got on from Lincoln on the 15th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending