Tate00's GYG take 2 - trying to survive A-levels Watch

justzoe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I love this! It's so down to earth. I have to say, I relate to having found it hard to settle into sixth form last year. I came from a different school and honestly wasted most of the year worrying about making friends and not seeking support from teachers I was too shy to talk to. That stuff can be really distracting. But you have so much time to sort everything out, trust me - including your coursework! Lists are extremely helpful for you to focus on what needs to get done.

Congrats on the new laptop also! Since I got a laptop, I've done soso much better in lessons. It helps me to have online copies of everything and to be able to type up my notes neatly and concisely. Plus going to the gym!! Something I really want to do... How long have you been going for? Do you have a membership?

Please add me to the tag list :flutter:
Tate00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by justzoe)
I love this! It's so down to earth. I have to say, I relate to having found it hard to settle into sixth form last year. I came from a different school and honestly wasted most of the year worrying about making friends and not seeking support from teachers I was too shy to talk to. That stuff can be really distracting. But you have so much time to sort everything out, trust me - including your coursework! Lists are extremely helpful for you to focus on what needs to get done.

Congrats on the new laptop also! Since I got a laptop, I've done soso much better in lessons. It helps me to have online copies of everything and to be able to type up my notes neatly and concisely. Plus going to the gym!! Something I really want to do... How long have you been going for? Do you have a membership?

Please add me to the tag list :flutter:
Soz for the super late reply, I’ve been very inactive recently. Thanks babe, I’m glad someone can relate to me. About the gym, I’ve had a membership since about September. While I’m not going as much as I’d like to, I’ve made sure to go at least once a week, and would like to increase that to about 3 times by the end of the year. I’ll make sure to add you to the tag list x
Tate00
Rep:
?

Not doing well, but determined to get better

This is probs not the best time for me to be writing a GYG post as I am currently doing my mocks, but 1) it’s longggg overdue and 2) I need a distraction from how much of a failure I feel like at the moment.

So, today was the first day of mocks and I had maths and economics. I’ll start on a bright-ish note, economics went alright, I could answer most of the questions without too much difficulty. The 25 mark essay was on a topic that I felt quite confident on and I feel like I produced a strong essay overall.

Now, onto maths... this is quite hard to talk about. The mock was ridiculously hard, much harder than any of the past papers and practice questions I’ve done. I literally couldn’t complete about half the questions, and didn’t even attempt one of them. When I got out of the exam I felt like a complete failure and was pretty much on the verge of tears when I got out of the hall. The thing is, it hit me really hard because I devoted so much of my time to just revising maths and I feel like it was all for nothing.

However, after a couple hours of thinking, I believe it’s better to pick myself up and dust myself off than just give up and complain about how badly I did. So, I’m gonna devote the rest of my evening to practicing more maths questions. I will then go into school tomorrow and go over the things I don’t understand with my teachers (as I don’t have any exams tomorrow). This will hopefully get me prepared for my next maths exam on Wednesday.

It’s hard to stay positive when you’re not doing well in the current moment, but it’s what you have to do to succeed in the future.
Ciao

Last edited by Tate00; 2 months ago
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You are not a failure :hugs: and you picked yourself back up again, which is always good :yes:
Yay for economics!! :woo: And I'm sorry maths was horrible :console: I'm sure you didn't fail it and hope the next one goes better :rave:
Tate00
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
You are not a failure :hugs: and you picked yourself back up again, which is always good :yes:
Yay for economics!! :woo: And I'm sorry maths was horrible :console: I'm sure you didn't fail it and hope the next one goes better :rave:
Thanks hun :hugs:, I need a bit of motivation to get up and actually revise maths. Ngl, its quite difficult when you already didn't do well in one exam.
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tate00)
Thanks hun :hugs:, I need a bit of motivation to get up and actually revise maths. Ngl, its quite difficult when you already didn't do well in one exam.
:hugs:
go and smash that one on wednesday!! :rave: yeah, i know :console: when one exam goes badly, i'm like... what is life? everything isn't going well :cry2: and then everything falls apart so don't let that one exam dictate what you're going to do :nah: and go revise maths :yep:
je m'en fiche
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It is alright if the mocks are bad, it is still a mock and it is not meant to reflect your end result. Also, it is sooooo early in the term I am sure you will have time to catch up and improve!
Tate00
Rep:
?
go and smash that one on wednesday!! :rave: yeah, i know :console: when one exam goes badly, i'm like... what is life? everything isn't going well :cry2: and then everything falls apart so don't let that one exam dictate what you're going to do :nah: and go revise maths :yep:
(Original post by je m'en fiche)
It is alright if the mocks are bad, it is still a mock and it is not meant to reflect your end result. Also, it is sooooo early in the term I am sure you will have time to catch up and improve!
Thanks guys, this makes me feel a bit better about the mocks I’m bricking it for my maths exam tomorrow though. I just really hope it doesn’t go as badly as Monday’s one
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks guys, this makes me feel a bit better about the mocks I’m bricking it for my maths exam tomorrow though. I just really hope it doesn’t go as badly as Monday’s one
:hugs: hope it went well today
Tate00
Rep:
?
:hugs: hope it went well today
It was nowhere near as bad as the one on Monday, but it wasn’t as great as I wanted it to be (but then again, everyone who did the papers found it hard)
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It was nowhere near as bad as the one on Monday, but it wasn’t as great as I wanted it to be (but then again, everyone who did the papers found it hard)
glad this one went better it's done now so if you've got no more exams, take a break :yes:
Tate00
Rep:
?
glad this one went better it's done now so if you've got no more exams, take a break :yes:
I wish I could relax now, but I’ve still got 3 more exams. I can’t wait until Friday when I can finally relax (well, after I finish my shift at work)
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I wish I could relax now, but I’ve still got 3 more exams. I can’t wait until Friday when I can finally relax (well, after I finish my shift at work)
well keep going then :dumbells: you can do it! :rave:
Tate00
Rep:
?
well keep going then :dumbells: you can do it! :rave:
Tysm :hugs: I hope so 🤞🏾
Tate00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

IBM and finally getting back on the horse

Well I haven’t updated in forever and a half – oops! To be honest, I haven’t really been in the mood to update as I know my education hasn’t been going the best.

Well let’s get the bad stuff over with… mocks, mocks, mocks. The last time I updated this I was complaining about how badly my maths mocks went. Let’s just say it definitely got worse after that day. The second maths mock was not as bad as the first, but it still wasn’t good. On top of that, stats and mechanics was a massive flop, stats is definitely my strong point in maths, and yet I didn’t have a clue what was going on when completing the exam. The worst part is that I but so much effort into revising maths and it was all in vain. I’m still gonna try though, because what is the point of giving up? I want good grades for myself, even if it takes more work than others. I feel like I have taken my natural abilities for granted, as I was able to get an 8 in maths with little revision. I’ve underestimated the amount of effort it takes to get As and A*s in maths A-level. However, I am determined to get that A so if it means I need to revise for more hours, then so be it.

Now, the rest of my mocks. On the Brightside, my DT mock went really well, I ended up with an A in it overall (1 mark off an A* - pretty annoying but it is what it is). Funny thing is my teacher somehow managed to miss 10 marks off the marking (which would’ve brought my grade down to a B), luckily, I double checked. Now economics… ugh this was disgusting. As I said previously, my first exam was alright. I will admit it wasn’t my best work, but it was not terrible either. But the second one? Oh boy. Let’s just say, I had a pounding headache during the exam, I felt dizzy and nauseous (I guess the pressure got to be as it was the last exam on top of it being an afternoon exam) and I physically couldn’t complete it. Like I missed a 15- and 25-mark question. I was so disappointed after the exam, especially since I know that economics is my strongest subject. I was meaning to tell me teacher about the exam before the holidays, but I didn’t get around to it due to embarrassment (I wish I did though).

In other news, I have applied for the IBM futures gap year placement (of course I did it at the most inconvenient time – Christmas). So far, I’ve done the IPAT assessment (which I passed – I’m not dumb after all!), the video interview (ngl I feel like I flopped) and filled the application form. Now I am just waiting to see if I’ve made it to the assessment centre - wish me luck, I need it!

Anyway, I’ll end my post here! Enjoy, and happy holidays x :holly:

:heart: Tags :heart:
Last edited by Tate00; 1 month ago
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Glad to hear from you :hugs:
And that is the attitude you need for maths :yep:
Well done with DT and I'm sorry econ wasn't as good as you would have liked it :console:
Best of luck with the placement! :rave:
je m'en fiche
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck with the IBM placement!
Tate00
Rep:
?
Glad to hear from you :hugs:
And that is the attitude you need for maths :yep:
Well done with DT and I'm sorry econ wasn't as good as you would have liked it :console:
Best of luck with the placement! :rave:
Thanks, I’m hoping to improve my exam technique so I can smash the real a-Levels. Also thanks for the encouragement :hugs:
(Original post by je m'en fiche)
Good luck with the IBM placement!
Tysm :heart:
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks, I’m hoping to improve my exam technique so I can smash the real a-Levels. Also thanks for the encouragement :hugs:
Good luck! :hugs:
:cube:
Tate00
Rep:
?

Actually doing work! :rave:

We’re so close to 2019! So, do any of you guys plan to do any new years resolutions? Personally, I’m not because, honestly, it’s a whole lot of bull, and I know for a fact that I won’t follow through with them. I’m just gonna continue with my general goals in life and not go for the typical “new year, new me” rhetoric. :nah:

Anyway, I’m glad to announce that I’ve actually been getting on with work since Christmas! :woo: I didn’t do anything yesterday, but I’ve done work today and on Friday. This is a great achievement for me, especially since I am a chronic procrastinator, but, due to being determined to do well in my a-levels and making up for my mocks, I’ve decided to get off my ass and do work.

On Friday, I started off the day by going to the gym (after avoiding the place for 2 weeks :lol:). I didn’t really know what I was doing, but all what matter is that I am going and I’m not wasting £25 a month for nothing. Then I did some work on my DT coursework (still ridiculously behind), and did a couple maths exercises before I went to work. So overall, it was a really productive day :yes:

So far today, I finished off the maths exercise I started on Friday and have completed the majority of the notes my economics teacher asked us to do for the holidays (exchange rates). I hope to finish all the exercises in the chapter of the maths book before I get back to school, and at the rate I’m going at, I think that’s achievable. For the rest of the day I plan to finish off the economics notes, continue putting work into my DT coursework, and (if I have time) do another exercise in the maths textbook.

Anyway wish me luck peeps! :rave:

Spoiler:
Show
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%