The Student Room Group

VEry easy question on refraction

When waves go from a slower to a faster medium they move what direction from the normal?

When waves go from a faster to a slower medium they move what direction from the normal?

I have notes in my book saying one thing and a diagram saying the opposite so I'm really confused :tongue:
Reply 1
When light travels from a denser medium into a less dense one, the ray is bent away from the normal (A denser medium is a slower one).
If it travels from a less dense into a denser medium it is the opposite. It will bend towards the normal.
Original post by Biteri
When light travels from a denser medium into a less dense one, the ray is bent away from the normal (A denser medium is a slower one).
If it travels from a less dense into a denser medium it is the opposite. It will bend towards the normal.

Reply 3
Original post by Biteri

The best way to remember this is thinking of a skateboard. If you are travelling fast at an angle and are approaching mud which will slow you down (the denser medium), one of your wheels will be slowed down first and will turn you towards the normal. The same can be applied to light!

Quick Reply

Latest