Year 11 desperation. CeciltheLlama's GyG Watch

CeciltheLlama
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
Yeah I agree with you. Einstein didn't discover relativity by sitting on his arse all day and doing nothing. You can be as clever as you like but if you don't work it's meaningless.
I would preferably go somewhere not too far away too. My sister went to Leeds which is literally a 20 minute train ride away so I wouldn't want to go that near. Oxford is a bit farther than I'd like but id be willing to go because it's oxford lol. Durham sounds like a good idea as it's not too far but not too near.
Yeah just set yourself realistic targets and you'll be fine. I set myself the target of getting mostly 7s and 8s and a couple of 6s and ended up getting 5 9s 58s so obviously I was over the moon! Anyway good luck with your studies too!
My sister went to Bangor university which is about two and a half hours away from us. It was a little too far for her. I am the same as you and wouldn't want to go to Leeds (it is close for me as well). I thought about York as it is about an hour or an hour and a half away depending on how you travel.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
huda122
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CeciltheLlama)
So, this is the second time I have entered one of these competitions (last one was the summer holiday thing) and I posted one thing and then never looked at it again. Welp.

I am actually going to try with this one and not make excuses for myself. Fingers crossed!

My Last Predicted Grades (from Feb 2018 so not that accurate)

Spoiler:
Show

Biology- 8
Chemistry- 8
Physics- 8
English Language- 7
English Literature- 6
Mathematics- 8
Geography- 8
History- 7
RS- 6
French- 7
Music- 7

I am unhappy with English Literature because I feel like I am not good enough etc.
For RS as a 6, I know that I can and will do better because if I don’t I will feel like it is a GCSE that is wasted (also my teacher basically says ‘it is the easiest thing in the universe’ so...).

My Mockette* results

Spoiler:
Show

Biology- 8
Chemistry- 8
Physics- 7
English Language- 7
English Literature- 5
Mathematics- 8
Geography- 7
History- 8
RS- we didn’t cover enough content the exam so we are doing it as our real mock
French- Don’t have a total grade but List. 5, Speak. 8 and writ. 8 (didn’t do reading)
Music- approx. 6 based on listening paper without diction

*Mockette is the name my friends and I call the mock of the mock we did in summer.

My mocks are in December/ mid-November and I am trying to start revision now, but the procrastination is real.

A bit about me

-I play classical guitar (also ukulele) and have just got a distinction at Grade 3
-I am in Y11 (in case it wasn’t implied)
-I am a massive nerd
-I love Harry Potter and reading (although I don’t do it enough)
-My favourite band is the Black Keys
-I want to do French, Geography and Maths at A-level (this might change, though)
-I want to be a teacher when I am older
-I find the 9-1 system demoralising so I convert everything to A*-G
-I love listening to podcasts when revising (like Hello Internet or Hat Chat (RIP) or No Such Thing As A Fish)

Revision that helps me? I think…

-Flashcards
-Quizzes
-Practice Papers to see what I am bad at…
-Colour coded notes

So, yeah hopefully I will update this with revision I am doing.

Byeeeeee.....
lets do this together! we can do it ! goood luck
btw how do toy revise history. ive had too many teachers coming and going so ive kind of lost my way in history
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by huda122)
lets do this together! we can do it ! goood luck
btw how do toy revise history. ive had too many teachers coming and going so ive kind of lost my way in history
I revise history by reading through my notes maybe one key topic eg. the Lean Years. Then I test myself either by quizzng, me describing it to another person, doing an exam question about it or just writing everything I know about it on a page. Then I check what I didn't include and move in to another topic and maybe go over it again later.

I think it also helps to know exactly how to answer each exam question as they all have different strategies.

Which exam board are you doing and which options?

I am doing Edexcel, and my options are Weimar and Nazi Germany (Paper 3), Cold War and Elizabethan England (paper 2 and my mock), and Crime and punishment in Britain and Whitechapel (paper 1).

If you need any help then just ask me. 😃
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
My sister went to Bangor university which is about two and a half hours away from us. It was a little too far for her. I am the same as you and wouldn't want to go to Leeds (it is close for me as well). I thought about York as it is about an hour or an hour and a half away depending on how you travel.
My cousin goes to York and yeah I think that's a good distance away because she has managed to come home quite regularly to her family. If you want to go home for the weekend an hour on the train is nothing lol.
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
My cousin goes to York and yeah I think that's a good distance away because she has managed to come home quite regularly to her family. If you want to go home for the weekend an hour on the train is nothing lol.
Yeah, two of my sister's friends went to York from sixth form and I think one of them is doing his master's there.

My sister would go and visit them with other friend a lot.

I think the only bad thing I could find about York on the surface at least is that you have to pay for societies.
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah, two of my sister's friends went to York from sixth form and I think one of them is doing his master's there.

My sister would go and visit them with other friend a lot.

I think the only bad thing I could find about York on the surface at least is that you have to pay for societies.
I didn't know about that lol that sucks. I kind of want to go to a uni with a collegiate system as I think it would be easier to make friends with a collegiate system. Idk if York has one or not but lots of unis do.
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
I didn't know about that lol that sucks. I kind of want to go to a uni with a collegiate system as I think it would be easier to make friends with a collegiate system. Idk if York has one or not but lots of unis do.
I have looked and yes York is one. What are the main differences between a collegiate and a non-collegiate university?
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have looked and yes York is one. What are the main differences between a collegiate and a non-collegiate university?
Basically collegiate universities are separated into different colleges which often act as kind of sub-universities if that makes sense. Like they often have different campuses and such. Your accommodation is in your college and other things such as libraries and social areas are often in the college. The main advantage is that it creates a more personal community feel because you're mixing with a small group of people like colleges often only have like thousands of people in them rather than tens of thousands so they're often the size of a high school lol. In a non- collegiate university you basically stay where ever in student accommodation and there isn't that same community feel.
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
Basically collegiate universities are separated into different colleges which often act as kind of sub-universities if that makes sense. Like they often have different campuses and such. Your accommodation is in your college and other things such as libraries and social areas are often in the college. The main advantage is that it creates a more personal community feel because you're mixing with a small group of people like colleges often only have like thousands of people in them rather than tens of thousands so they're often the size of a high school lol. In a non- collegiate university you basically stay where ever in student accommodation and there isn't that same community feel.
Sorry, I haven't replied earlier, it sort of got away from me. You're right, the collegiate universities sound better socially than other universities. It does sound quite daunting going to university tbh. I know when my sister went she got into a good halls flat but she was lucky. I guess you find friends in different ways though if that happens.
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
Hi!

I haven't posted at all in 8 days, so sorry. I was on my half-term holiday and while I could have posted, to be quite frank I wasn't in the mood for it. During the holidays I felt unmotivated and my mood was generally the lowest it has been in a while (at least for the last few days for the holiday)

If the next bit is too long-
Spoiler:
Show
It all started last Sunday (29th of Oct?) when I went on holiday to Llandudno for 3 days. My dad and I travelled there in the day. My sister was working so she and my mum set off quite late on Sunday. Me and my dad went out to get food and I had done a little revision at the hotel. It was absolutely packed in Llandudno as there was some firework display happening or something. The only place with parking was the local Brewers Fayre. My dad had a Burrito salad and I had a burger. Around 20 minutes after eating I began to feel very ill. Over the next few days of stomach cramps and too much information events, it was clear that I had food poisoning. My dad got it as well! Such fun!

It was so bad that we had to stay another night at the hotel (we paid for the night but we left at 19.00) as my dad was so ill he couldn’t drive. Needless to say for the whole holiday I was so ill and out of it I couldn’t do any work (I do say this but I’m sure if I forced myself to do revision I would’ve managed it. Oh well). So it was now 1 am on Thursday morning (there was bad traffic and bad directions in my part) and we arrived home. Thursday and Friday were complete write-offs. I did literally nothing. At all. Well actually on Friday me and my mum helped out a family friend who was very ill by giving her a camp bed to sleep on downstairs and a camping toilet. She couldn’t walk really as she had very weak arms and legs. She’s in hospital now. Hopefully she will get better.

In the several car journeys on that day with my mum (getting prescription and a toilet frame for family friend), my mum was utterly distressed and if anything freaking out. This is sort of, i don’t know, private family stuff so I don’t want to go too much into it, but something my mum said really threw me off. It utterly shook me completely (it was something I had just assumed for a while, but hearing her say it really hurt). I got quite upset the day after about this and my mum asked me if I was upset about exams or my friends or other things. I said no. She then asked if it was anything she had said and I said ‘no, no, of course, it’s not’. Whenever she asks if it is about her I can never say yes. I know this is bad as how will anything ever be resolved but I am scared it will unearth other things. People will come to realisations and things will change. I know I am being very vague but I daren’t be more specific. Then my fears will be written on more than my group chats. And anyway my mum said these things when she was overwhelmed and very emotional so they can’t be as extreme. (Sorry again for vagueness.) I also don’t want her to feel bad about making me upset. I just don’t like confrontation with her, I guess.

tl;dr is bad holiday because of food poisoning, family issues and not doing any revision

Today, it has been the first day back and in the morning I felt drained and exhausted. By the end, I felt more at home, like I just needed the boring routine of school to get back to normal and bury my problems. Fun! I still don’t feel very motivated to do revision, but I am going to have to feel motivated as I have no choice. My mocks start in 21 days today, so I better knuckle down and get on with it.

Byeeeee....
Charlie Hitchins
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hope you feel better soon! don't let the words your mum said get to you. i know it's easier said than done. words are like snake venom: they can kill you or heal you. you are so much more than some insults or rash comments. :hugs:
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlie Hitchins)
hope you feel better soon! don't let the words your mum said get to you. i know it's easier said than done. words are like snake venom: they can kill you or heal you. you are so much more than some insults or rash comments. :hugs:
Thank you so much. I feel a lot better after talking it through with my friends.
mez_merising
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hey there, new reader and fellow y11!
really hope you get well soon, and good luck with mocks - but don't overwork yourself
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
hey there, new reader and fellow y11!
really hope you get well soon, and good luck with mocks - but don't overwork yourself
Thank you 😃 and I'll try not to over work myself. How is Year 11 going for you? Also do you have a gyg?
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
This week I haven't got as much revision as I would like to have done. I went to a college open evening on Thursday and I am considering the college a lot more. My school has a sixth form attached to it so I am very tempted to go to it. This college though seems to have a lot more attention on Sixth Formers (there is no lower school like in my school). Their maths department looked really good as well. I think I am going to apply to both places and decide later in the year.

I should really be doing more revision but I have had a busy weekend so none so far. Tomorrow I will do as much as I can. Especially on English Language.

Does anyone want to be tagged?

byeeee
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you 😃 and I'll try not to over work myself. How is Year 11 going for you? Also do you have a gyg?
yes i do! it's here if you wanna check it out

This week I haven't got as much revision as I would like to have done. I went to a college open evening on Thursday and I am considering the college a lot more. My school has a sixth form attached to it so I am very tempted to go to it. This college though seems to have a lot more attention on Sixth Formers (there is no lower school like in my school). Their maths department looked really good as well. I think I am going to apply to both places and decide later in the year.

I should really be doing more revision but I have had a busy weekend so none so far. Tomorrow I will do as much as I can. Especially on English Language.

Does anyone want to be tagged?

byeeee
good luck with your sixth form desicions and mocks!
keep me tagged x
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
yes i do! it's here if you wanna check it out

good luck with your sixth form desicions and mocks!
keep me tagged x
I'll make sure I tag you on the first post. Can you tag me on your gyg? I'll check it out now. Good luck!
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
I will try and post at least once a week from now on. Sorry...

This week has been really fun but again not very productive. RIP me. On my checklist is to go over all of the history topics and then just continually revise
(with flashcards). My first mock is a French listening and I am trying to make sure it isn't an excuse to stop revision and watch some French films on Netflix. At the moment, I am revising Music by listening to the piece in the morning on the way to school and using flashcards.

Sorry this is short I will hopefully do a longer post tomorrow

bye Felicia

Tags
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by CeciltheLlama; 3 months ago
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
aw don’t worry about not updating!
hope you get a productive spark soon💕
CeciltheLlama
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So to make sure that I update on a regular and/or consistent basis I am going to say I will update it once a week. I will probably do it where I write a small bit every day and then post Sunday night. A bit like a diary. Also, I need to go on TSR more as well. I'd like to think I am too busy but I think it is me just trying to imagine life has stopped (paused while I am getting ready for mocks- unfortunately, it hasn't) and also me pretending to myself I do more revision than I actually do welp.

Anyway... (sorry, this post has little to no structure.)

So today I got to leave school at break because I did a concert (technically two- they celebrated different festivals with differing themes) and there was a rehearsal beforehand. If you didn't know I play Classical Guitar. This was the first time I have ever performed with an orchestra actually. Classical guitar is a lonely instrument and normally is in an ensemble with other guitars (or maybe the odd ukulele).

I was having a conversation today with someone in my ensemble and he was saying that he was quite envious of other instruments that get to play in an orchestra or larger ensembles. It is one of the reasons why I would start another instrument. I've always fancied playing double bass, clarinet or flute.

There was a bit of time that was spare so I got some Geography revision done. Oh, and I wrote a letter in the car while my parents and grandma were in a supermarket and then on the way to drop off my grandma. I am feeling a bit more confident. Even though I know I might not be totally ready for my exams when they come, I feel like I am trying my best, even if it is too late. Ah well...

Omg, I just remembered that my Music composition has to be finished by 13th December. I am doing a Rondo form piece (ABACA) and I haven't finished my C section yet. Bloody hell.

Just to get it finished, I am doing 30-60 mins every night after school and then 60 mins of revision as well. Hopefully, it should be fine.

I had my French listening yesterday and it went terribly. I feel like I guessed nearly every question. I hope I do well enough on the others to balance it out.

I am a bit overwhelmed in other areas tbh. I don't want to say too much but one of my friends has got quite severe depression. It is just hard to see someone you love so much suffering. I wish I had a magic wand and could make her happier, but I know I can't. I just have to accept all I can do is support her as much as I can. I doubt she is reading this but if you are I love you and so does Amelia. You're not a burden, and even if you don't think that you are special, we can tell you that you are.

Tags

Spoiler:
Show
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%