The Student Room Group

Is Computer Science, Maths and Economics too heavy a group of A Levels?

Planning my A Level options for next year and am trying to pick between maths, economics, computer science, philosophy & ethics and sociology. Either 4 to drop to 3 after a bit or just 3. Would the 3 in title be too heavy and too much maths, or are there 3 a good combo? Or would others in my list work better? I like the idea of actuarial science type degree.
Probs Further Maths would be more suitable if you’re planning to do actuarial sciences
But yet it still depends on availability
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I think further maths would be too hard tbh!
Reply 3
Original post by cholelwt
Probs Further Maths would be more suitable if you’re planning to do actuarial sciences
But yet it still depends on availability

Reply 4
Original post by harrypj03

i dont think your alevels are too hard. im doing the same as you apart from swapping buisness to furthger maths and I feel fine. but it all depends on the person
Tbh if you plan on doing actuarial sciences Maths would be crucial and many unis would like to have Further Maths (even if they don’t many applicants would’ve done it so even an AS course in FMaths would benefit you a lot)

I’ve also heard CompSci A Levels aren’t very practical too so like yea think about it probably a real science would benefit you more
If you find maths too heavy then probably Actuarial Science wouldn’t suit you as much as it is strongly related to maths and statistics

Quick Reply

Latest