Difference between History and Politics at Oxford and Cambridge

Watch this thread
cora6457
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,
I want to apply for History and Politics, but I am torn between Oxford and Cambridge. I think Oxford is beautiful as a city and I loved Christ Church at the Open Days, but course-wise, Cambridge does offer to change to HSPS in the second year which could come in handy because I am more prone to Politics than History. What do you think are the main differences between the Universities in terms of this subject?
mariapcosta
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hey! I can't really say much about Cambridge, but I'm currently a first year HisPol at Oxford.. In your first year you have many options in terms of what periods of History you want to study; but it's 50:50 between History and Politics in terms of work. Honestly I'm also much more of a Politics person, Oxford was the only course with History that I applied for, and at first I felt like I wasn't really cut out for History. But I feel that the wide range of options you have, and the way you can specialize the areas of History you're studying, makes it very interesting to actually have modules in History that relate to Politics! For example I'm focusing on popular revolt and the rise of modern political thought in Early Modern Europe, which overlaps with some of my political theory. History really is a very good complement for your Politics work.
In terms of second and third year, you can choose to either work mostly on Politics or History, again with lots of options within each subject, imagine to a 70:30 ratio, and do your thesis just on Politics. Other factors like the city and the colleges are also important, and I never considered Cambridge mostly because I felt that Oxford was a city where I could picture myself being happy.
If you do choose Oxford and have further questions, feel free to pm me
hanar2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mariapcosta)
Hey! I can't really say much about Cambridge, but I'm currently a first year HisPol at Oxford.. In your first year you have many options in terms of what periods of History you want to study; but it's 50:50 between History and Politics in terms of work. Honestly I'm also much more of a Politics person, Oxford was the only course with History that I applied for, and at first I felt like I wasn't really cut out for History. But I feel that the wide range of options you have, and the way you can specialize the areas of History you're studying, makes it very interesting to actually have modules in History that relate to Politics! For example I'm focusing on popular revolt and the rise of modern political thought in Early Modern Europe, which overlaps with some of my political theory. History really is a very good complement for your Politics work.
In terms of second and third year, you can choose to either work mostly on Politics or History, again with lots of options within each subject, imagine to a 70:30 ratio, and do your thesis just on Politics. Other factors like the city and the colleges are also important, and I never considered Cambridge mostly because I felt that Oxford was a city where I could picture myself being happy.
If you do choose Oxford and have further questions, feel free to pm me
Hey! I’m applying for History and Politcs this year at Oxford, and was just wondering if you think that since I haven’t done Politics at A-level, I might be at a disadvantage compared to other students who have in terms of knowledge. I mean I’ve read a few works in political philosophy and keep up with current affairs, but there’s probably some key terms that I don’t know since I haven’t taken the a level. Is there anything else I should be doing? Sorry for the long question haha
mariapcosta
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hanar2000)
Hey! I’m applying for History and Politcs this year at Oxford, and was just wondering if you think that since I haven’t done Politics at A-level, I might be at a disadvantage compared to other students who have in terms of knowledge. I mean I’ve read a few works in political philosophy and keep up with current affairs, but there’s probably some key terms that I don’t know since I haven’t taken the a level. Is there anything else I should be doing? Sorry for the long question haha
Hey! My A-levels were Maths, Physics and History.. so trust me there's no need for you to worry! Many schools don't offer politics, and what you cover at A-level is not even comparable with the work you do here! I'd definitely say that keeping up with the news is great, don't worry too much about the rest; all you need to do in your interview is show your passion for these subjects and your ability to reason under pressure. They don't really care if you give them the right answers, what matters is how you work your way through unfamiliar situations!
Good luck, and if you have any further questions please pm me and I'll be glad to help
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You must be damn good at both. My loyalties lie with Oxford but Cambridge has a better track record. Cambridge... Oxford makes too many mistakes! Do not become a monster or I will be back to haunt you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (94)
28.92%
It went fairly well (150)
46.15%
It didn't go too well (54)
16.62%
TERRIBLE! (27)
8.31%

Watched Threads