shannon-emma
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
what is the best way to answer a sources question?

how do i compare it properly and achieve full marks?

could someone explain and provide an example? I would be most grateful

Thank you.
History_helper.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great question here’s some tips I learnt

-never say the ‘however the source is not useful because...’ say ‘however the sources use is limited because’
-the key things to remember is finding QUOTES that show what it is saying and you putting your OWN KNOWLEDGE to agree (saying yes this is useful because this, this, this and this happened which...)
-then saying why it isn’t with QUOTES which show something and then use your OWN KNOWLEDGE to show why it isn’t

Link this information to the question though
If you had a question I could show you
shannon-emma
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by History_helper.)
Great question here’s some tips I learnt

-never say the ‘however the source is not useful because...’ say ‘however the sources use is limited because’
-the key things to remember is finding QUOTES that show what it is saying and you putting your OWN KNOWLEDGE to agree (saying yes this is useful because this, this, this and this happened which...)
-then saying why it isn’t with QUOTES which show something and then use your OWN KNOWLEDGE to show why it isn’t

Link this information to the question though
If you had a question I could show you
Hey thanks for replying, sorry its been such a long time but I have recently had a mock exam with a sources qustion for germany so I was wondering if you could show me ( i will write the sources and my teacher comments from my essay that I recieved today

The Q: with reference to the sources and your understanding of the historical context, assess the value of these two sources to a historian studying the effects of the treaty of versailles on germany.

Source A
The German Republic was born out of defeat.This cast a dark shadow on the newpolitical order. But at first there was a belief that the new order was necessary for the rebirth of Germany. This is why the weimar constitution met with little opposition. For everyone expected a peace settlement in accordance with Wilson's Fourteen Points which all countries had accepted as the basis for the peace. The criminal madness of the versailles Diktat was a shamless blow to hopes of political and economic recovery. That the Republic did not collapse immediately is proof of the genuine vitality of its basic principles. How far is it true that the Treaty wrecked the Germany's democracy, that reparations ruined the German economy and that its security was undermined? Economically speaking there is no truth in these allegations. Much more serious was the dillusion which prevented moderate men from supporting the Republic. The peace settlement poisoned the political atmosphere for many years.
Hugo Preuss, the politician and lawyer chiefly responsible for producing the weimar constitution, writing in 1923.

Source B

The peace conditions imposted upon Germany are so hard, so humiliating, that even those who have the smallest expectation of a "peace of justice" are bound to be deeply disappointed. Has Germany actually deserved such a "peace"? Everybody knows how we condemned the crimes committed against humanity by Germany. But a condemnation of wartime actions must not amount to a lasting condemnation of a people. In spite of all they have done, the German people is a great and noble nation.....The Entante evidently desires the complete annhiliation of Germany. Not only will the whole commercial fleet be confiscated, but the shipbuilding yards will be obliged to work for the foreigner for some time to come. Whole tracts of Germany will be entirely deprived of their liberty; they will be under a commitee of foreign domination, without adequate representation. The financial burden is so heavy that it is no exaggeration to say that Germany is reduced to economic bondage.The Germans will have to work hard and incessantly for foreign masters, without any chance of personal gain, or any prospects of regaining liberty or economic independence.

Source 2 dutch newspaper algemeen handelsblad editiorial on the treaty of versailles june 1919

My teachers comments from my essay:
Explain the value of quotes utilising context
Context needs to be specific or relevant to the point made
How does tone and language impact the value of the source
You need to fully evaluate and explain the sources value. Each comment should link back to the question by considering how it strengthens or limits the sources value
You need to develope hour use of caption. Consider evaluating at least 2/3 elements of the caption eg author, type, date, audience, purpose, typicality, completeness.linked to the value of the source in reference to the question set.

Sorry this is so long I found it quite hard in the exam to state the sources value and evaluate them...can you help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?