Climate Change - new report...

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
An important report states that the world is now completely off track from it's target, to keep the temperature increase under 1.5 degrees C. Instead, we are heading towards 3 degrees C.

What can I do?

The report says there must be rapid and significant changes in four big global systems:
  • energy
  • land use
  • cities
  • industry

But it adds that the world cannot meet its target without changes by individuals, urging people to:
  • buy less meat, milk, cheese and butter and more locally sourced seasonal food - and throw less of it away
  • drive electric cars but walk or cycle short distances
  • take trains and buses instead of planes
  • use video conferencing instead of business travel
  • use a washing line instead of a tumble dryer
  • insulate homes
  • demand low carbon in every consumer product

Read the full story here

Do you already do some of these things? Tell us what you are doing to help with climate change?

Do you walk or get the bus instead of drive, for example?
username4258166
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
There is little point in trying to do anything.The problem is too big it's governments that need to enact change which won't happen as there is no political will.And anyway the planet will be perfectly fine.When people say save the world they really mean saving civilisation.Life has endured a lot worse than humans.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
At the end of the day pretty much no matter how alarmist they get those who are going to do anything or support action already will/do, if anything the more alarmist things get the harder it will be for change to be instigated, especially when the changes being proposed are getting bigger and bigger.
mojojojo101
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Aside from the electric car thing I do am that stuff but it has more to do with the fact I am poor than any particular environmentalist notion.

What this problem needs is a complete and total rethink of the world economy. That isn't going to happen.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing my bit by not driving.

But if the alarmists are seriously suggesting that entire industries must be decimated in order to save the planet, no wonder world governments stopped listening
Jingo7
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RS564)
There is little point in trying to do anything.The problem is too big it's governments that need to enact change which won't happen as there is no political will.And anyway the planet will be perfectly fine.When people say save the world they really mean saving civilisation.Life has endured a lot worse than humans.
Exactly. Rather than 'save the world', they should say 'save human civilisation from nature!'

We are altering the bio-sphere, but not in a good way, in a bad way. This stupid planet will do fine without us, but human beings are too important to die. We gotta alter the bio-sphere in our favour, and ultimately start populating the solar system and nearby star systems.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jingo7)
Exactly. Rather than 'save the world', they should say 'save human civilisation from nature!'

We are altering the bio-sphere, but not in a good way, in a bad way. This stupid planet will do fine without us, but human beings are too important to die. We gotta alter the bio-sphere in our favour, and ultimately start populating the solar system and nearby star systems.
They don't even mean save civilisation or humanity.. they mean save the modern world. Humans as a species have endured far worse climate change than even their worse prediction to date. At the end of the last ice age. We as a species endured a mass Warming.. 400ft sea level rises and epic floods.. it must have been awful. But as a species we survived.

The key thing for me is this:

we cannot stop climate change. Climate change is always happening. With or without us.. the world goes through phases of warming and cooling. Sure, we are exaggerating the warming, and speeding it up. But even if we slow down.. even if we produce 0 co2.. the climate will still change.

we are in the longest interglacial period in recorded history.. it's warming now, but what we are really due is an ice age.. a substantial cooling. Which actually would be far worse than a warming.. civilisation wise.

The key thing we should be doing is: yes, slow down the warming.. but more importantly, knowing that the climate will always change, we need to be prepared and grow a civilisation that either a. Can control and influence the climate at will.. or b. Is flexible enough to react and adjust to any new shift in temperature and climate.

It's shocking how many people just Believe that if we stop all green house gasses.. the climate will remain the same! Indefineltly..
Jingo7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)

The key thing we should be doing is: yes, slow down the warming.. but more importantly, knowing that the climate will always change, we need to be prepared and grow a civilisation that either a. Can control and influence the climate at will.. or b. Is flexible enough to react and adjust to any new shift in temperature and climate.

It's shocking how many people just Believe that if we stop all green house gasses.. the climate will remain the same! Indefineltly..
Well yes, exactly. We cannot regress to a pre-industrial level of civilisation, nor would we want to. And since stopping industry would entail mass starvation and horror, what we need to do is massive, trillion dollar geo-engineering projects to regulate the climate to suit us, AND populate other planets.
mojojojo101
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hello_shawn)

But if the alarmists are seriously suggesting that entire industries must be decimated in order to save the planet, no wonder world governments stopped listening
It's kind of true though.

At this point we have to pick between continue or current relationship with the natural world or be forced to.

Climate change is happening and it will get more extreme and more disruptive. The choice people need to make is adapt now and maintain the environmental relatively similair as it is now OR adapt to whatever happens when it happens.

Continuing to maintain the lifestyles and economic methods we have now is quite simply not an option anymore.
username4258166
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hello_shawn)

Yes but there is also going to be a massive economic cost from climate change.London and New York for example.The last time it was 4C above industry there were no ice caps.Whats going to happen if the seas rise? Those two cities are going to be underwater.Along with lots of others.Most of Bangladesh for one thing.Its like 5m above sea level.Where are those refugees going to go? Who will pay for that?And it's not just the sea.Hurricanes are formed over warm water.The warmer the ocean gets the more likely hurricanes are.Which is not good for anyone's economy.And then there are things like droughts.You can't grow food in a drought.No food = no industry.Overall these things are going to be bad for anyone's economy.

And you are assuming that once we get to 2 degrees it will just stop.I see nop reason to assume that.What happens if it gets to 10 degrees above pre- industrial levels for example? The world would look very different.Think Lush rainforests at the arctic or Antarctic.Its happened before.Could happen again.It would be good for other forms of life but not for humans.We have a very particular niche in which we've built our civilisation.
username4258166
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jingo7)

Nearby star systems are much too far away to get to anytime soon.Certainly not all of us.Our current technology would take tens of thousands of years to get to the closest star.As for the solar system the only place really is mars.Mars has no oxygen and is bathed in radiation due to the lack of a magnetic field.Its also colder than antartica most days.It would be very hard to terraform because to warm it up you need greenhouse gases but without a magnetic field the sun's rays will strip those gases away.Its too cold and inhospitable for us to live there.Visit yes but settle not yet.Earth is basically it for now.
Jingo7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by username4258166)
Nearby star systems are much too far away to get to anytime soon.Certainly not all of us.Our current technology would take tens of thousands of years to get to the closest star.As for the solar system the only place really is mars.Mars has no oxygen and is bathed in radiation due to the lack of a magnetic field.Its also colder than antartica most days.It would be very hard to terraform because to warm it up you need greenhouse gases but without a magnetic field the sun's rays will strip those gases away.Its too cold and inhospitable for us to live there.Visit yes but settle not yet.Earth is basically it for now.
Necro-reply.

Certainly yes, I meant in the longer term future, colonising other stars. There are a variety of methodologies for terraforming the planets of the solar system. Mars for instance, you would need to thicken the atmosphere with non-poisonous chemicals and add oxygen. You could easily thinken the atmosphere by shooting solar beams at the planet's crust, throwing up carbon dioxide or something like that. Drilling boreholes would heat the planet a bit. The oxygen could be added by dragging ice comets into the planet's atmosphere or tapping the underground ice seas.

Basically we have to get out there. Like we just have to spend several trillion dollars every year to get out there, build the Dyson Sphere, get that sweet sun-power, pot the planets around like snooker balls. We gotta put us all in a computer and become hive-mind, like just one massive human hand that can pull nebulas apart and ignite matter into stars. We aren't we doing this yet?
X
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads