The Student Room Group

Is it bad to use audition monologues with swearing?

I'm auditioning for drama school this year as well as for universities that do BA Acting as I can't decide between the two.
One university I'm applying for is St Mary's, where the audition just asks for a contemporary monologue.

I would like to do Allegra's monologue in Pretty Theft where she is talking to her dad who is unconscious in the hospital. She swears quite a bit a middle of this monologue while she is so full of emotion and angry and sad all at the same time - it isn't just pointless swearing it is there for a reason and shows her state of mind. Does anyone know if I should pick another piece or if it would be okay?
Original post by laurenh1313
I'm auditioning for drama school this year as well as for universities that do BA Acting as I can't decide between the two.
One university I'm applying for is St Mary's, where the audition just asks for a contemporary monologue.

I would like to do Allegra's monologue in Pretty Theft where she is talking to her dad who is unconscious in the hospital. She swears quite a bit a middle of this monologue while she is so full of emotion and angry and sad all at the same time - it isn't just pointless swearing it is there for a reason and shows her state of mind. Does anyone know if I should pick another piece or if it would be okay?
If that matches the sort of theatre St Mary's do, then yeah. If they're all about Shakespeare, or focus on Comedy, or Greek theatre then I'd say pick something else. But if they do realistic gritty and honest performances I'd say go for it.
Reply 2

If it means something to you - you can do it with feeling, and properly act in them - then yes I'd say they're appropriate.
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
If that matches the sort of theatre St Mary's do, then yeah. If they're all about Shakespeare, or focus on Comedy, or Greek theatre then I'd say pick something else. But if they do realistic gritty and honest performances I'd say go for it.

Original post by Tootles
If it means something to you - you can do it with feeling, and properly act in them - then yes I'd say they're appropriate.

Thank you both! I really like the play.
My alternative is from Love and Information - which isn't as much a play with a storyline but a huge set of stitched together scenes of different characters. I thought this might make it difficult to answer any questions about the play because - apart from the scene I'd be doing, it would be unrelated..

I'm not sure what St Mary's productions have focused on in the past, I had a look and can't find much information on it. Maybe it will be worth the risk to go with the monologue I feel most excited about performing
Reply 4
Thank you both! I really like the play.
My alternative is from Love and Information - which isn't as much a play with a storyline but a huge set of stitched together scenes of different characters. I thought this might make it difficult to answer any questions about the play because - apart from the scene I'd be doing, it would be unrelated..

I'm not sure what St Mary's productions have focused on in the past, I had a look and can't find much information on it. Maybe it will be worth the risk to go with the monologue I feel most excited about performing
Go with what you feel about, but I'd maybe ask them, just to make sure...if you can?
Reply 5
I mean, it may depend on the panel you get on the day, but my acting coach advised that I use one with less swearing (I had a monologue from 'Lungs' originally with a lot of '****ing/****' in it and he said that some drama schools don't like gratuitous swearing. That being said, the monologue I have now is from 'Nothing Compares to You' and it has '****' twice, so I guess... it depends?
The thing with acting is that you're taking on a persona, so the swearing isn't directly showing you as a person. I'd say you should go for it, as you will need to swear on stage in the future, almost certainly.

I would actually recommend emailing or phoning and asking the question. Say that you're passionate about the monologue and would like to deliver it, but also that you would like to confirm whether the use of bad langauge is accepted. I'm sure this is something they would answer.

Although, there are so many monologues that you could choose from, if you're not comfortable, then just pick another one.
Reply 7
Thanks again everyone, this makes me more comfortable with it. :smile: I saw an acting coach last week and we decided to cut out some of the swear words so there's only a few now. Hopefully they'll be okay within the context of the monologue.
Really excited for Wednesday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending