cynthia.cs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know they may not be a major part of assessment nowadays but I just want to get an idea of what essays are like in med school. i.e topics/ titles. I haven’t really written an essay since GCSEs and I don’t want to feel majorly out of my depth when the time comes. If any medics could help me out that would be great
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on med school and the particular essay. Oxbridge uses them a lot for instance.

They will all be very much scientific essays though, and most people will be in the same situation as you. You really shouldn't be marked down too much for written English as long as its vaguely structured and understandable.
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cynthia.cs)
I know they may not be a major part of assessment nowadays but I just want to get an idea of what essays are like in med school. i.e topics/ titles. I haven’t really written an essay since GCSEs and I don’t want to feel majorly out of my depth when the time comes. If any medics could help me out that would be great
At my medical school there were no essays in our exams.

In first year we had to write a very short (1000 word) essay on Public Health & Sociology and a similar length essay on a specific topic which involved researching into a specific scientific field.

After that, I don't think we had any more essays; most if not all assessments in clinical years were MCQs and OSCEs.
cynthia.cs
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Depends on med school and the particular essay. Oxbridge uses them a lot for instance.

They will all be very much scientific essays though, and most people will be in the same situation as you. You really shouldn't be marked down too much for written English as long as its vaguely structured and understandable.
You’re right, thank you
cynthia.cs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angury)
At my medical school there were no essays in our exams.

In first year we had to write a very short (1000 word) essay on Public Health & Sociology and a similar length essay on a specific topic which involved researching into a specific scientific field.

After that, I don't think we had any more essays; most if not all assessments in clinical years were MCQs and OSCEs.
That’s very helpful, thank you
nadman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Didnt know med school had essays... i thought they were more for humanities and art subjects?

Thought it was more practicals, exams, presentations?
cynthia.cs
Rep:
?
(Original post by nadman)
Didnt know med school had essays... i thought they were more for humanities and art subjects?

That’s true for the most part but from what I’ve learned, there are a few essays in some schools. Oxford especially is quite essay based before clinical years
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nadman)

Most med schools have a handful of essays as coursework-type assessments (but very minor and very hard to fail), mainly on things like sociology, ethics, social impact of chronic disease, etc.

Oxbridge are the main exception, with 1-3 weekly essays being the norm in the 1st 2 years and exams having two parts for each topic - an MCQ part and an essay part. They are short scientific essays though - written in 40 minutes in the exam so only like 3 pages, with it very much being about listing scientific knowledge onto paper - some people even did them as bullet points. In clinical years it reverts to the very occasional ethics essay.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If anything I think doing humanities/essay-based subjects at A Level is a disadvantage when it comes to med school essays. I wrote my first med school essay like an English literaure essay and completely bombed it. Rewrote it with no creativity to an exact template and passed. They really don't want 'essay skills' from you, they want you to regurgitate information in a long-ish format, and then call it an essay.
cynthia.cs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghotay)
If anything I think doing humanities/essay-based subjects at A Level is a disadvantage when it comes to med school essays. I wrote my first med school essay like an English literaure essay and completely bombed it. Rewrote it with no creativity to an exact template and passed. They really don't want 'essay skills' from you, they want you to regurgitate information in a long-ish format, and then call it an essay.
That’s so helpful 😅 I was really worried but that’s seems very doable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads