The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance for veterinary with these GCSE grades?

Here are my GCSE grades:

English Literature 7
English Language 7
Maths 7
Geography A
Spanish 6
Biology 6
Chemistry 6
D.T B
Physics 7

I know I can't apply for RVC, Surrey and Nottingham as I don't have a 7 in bio and chem but do I stand a chance at the other unis (Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge)
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes
Reply 2
Of course you have a chance as there are so many pathways and routes you can take. I also want to do veterinary so I wish you luck :smile:
Original post by TSR_User2001
Here are my GCSE grades:

English Literature 7
English Language 7
Maths 7
Geography A
Spanish 6
Biology 6
Chemistry 6
D.T 6
Physics 7

I know I can't apply for RVC, Surrey and Nottingham as I don't have a 7 in bio and chem but do I stand a chance at the other unis (Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge)

GCSEs aren't that important in an application - A level predicted/achieved grades are much more important. That said, they aren't great GCSEs and it's fair to say they're probably quite a bit lower than the average successful applicant.

Still, don't give up. You just need to do really well in your A levels and have high predicted grades, plus some good work experience and extra curriculars.
Original post by keira881
Of course you have a chance as there are so many pathways and routes you can take. I also want to do veterinary so I wish you luck :smile:

What do you mean many pathways. I want to study vet medicine and be a vet doctor. What grades did u get in GCSE. Also thank you and good luck for the future as well
Original post by Reality Check
GCSEs aren't that important in an application - A level predicted/achieved grades are much more important. That said, they aren't great GCSEs and it's fair to say they're probably quite a bit lower than the average successful applicant.

Still, don't give up. You just need to do really well in your A levels and have high predicted grades, plus some good work experience and extra curriculars.

Thanks, I have done some work experience and have lots booked. I am also doing extra curriculars (Young enterprise, CCF...) so I have that secured. However my main concern is A level results. I am doing Bio, Chem and Geog and I am finding them good. But I have a backup plan (zoology) so I am prepared if I get rejected.
Reply 6
What do you mean many pathways. I want to study vet medicine and be a vet doctor. What grades did u get in GCSE. Also thank you and good luck for the future as well

I'm actually taking GCSEs this year but thanks. What I meant by pathways is that it is possible to do a vet nursing degree first and then do a vet med degree or you can have a look into gateway courses from some unis if you fit the criteria.
Original post by keira881
I'm actually taking GCSEs this year but thanks. What I meant by pathways is that it is possible to do a vet nursing degree first and then do a vet med degree or you can have a look into gateway courses from some unis if you fit the criteria.

Thanks and good luck for this year. Doing 1 degree to do another can be costly and time consuming but I will be prepared to do it if necessary. And unfortunately I don't fit gateway courses. However I still have a chance in going into the unis I listed above (Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge)
Here are my GCSE grades:

English Literature 7
English Language 7
Maths 7
Geography A
Spanish 6
Biology 6
Chemistry 6
D.T 6
Physics 7

You have more than the minimum requirement for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Bristol so you should be fine for them. Cambridge is more difficult to say and I would suggest you forget there and apply for the four where you are definitely fine.
Here are my GCSE grades:

English Literature 7
English Language 7
Maths 7
Geography A
Spanish 6
Biology 6
Chemistry 6
D.T 6
Physics 7

First of all well done on those fab results !! 😁😁 could def get into Edinburgh n Glasgow know a few who got 5/6s but u might have to see about Cambridge because it has a lot higher standards
Original post by mcvitiesxx
First of all well done on those fab results !! 😁😁 could def get into Edinburgh n Glasgow know a few who got 5/6s but u might have to see about Cambridge because it has a lot higher standards

Original post by animalmagic
You have more than the minimum requirement for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Bristol so you should be fine for them. Cambridge is more difficult to say and I would suggest you forget there and apply for the four where you are definitely fine.

Thank you both. Yh i have concluded that I will not apply to Cambridge. Keele and Harper Adams are building a new vet school but I live very close to Keele so may not apply there. I am thinking to apply for a zoology course as my 5th option
You should be fine with those results! It's mainly A Levels and work experience that are the big thing; I think the lowest A Level offer is around AAB(?) with most being AAA. That being said, you look pretty set with a backup just in case, so now I'd focus on your A Levels and gaining as broader range of work experience as you can.

Good luck for the future!
Original post by Skyward_Bound
You should be fine with those results! It's mainly A Levels and work experience that are the big thing; I think the lowest A Level offer is around AAB(?) with most being AAA. That being said, you look pretty set with a backup just in case, so now I'd focus on your A Levels and gaining as broader range of work experience as you can.

Good luck for the future!

Thanks good luck to you to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending