The Student Room Group

Proof by contradiction

Hi guys, I need some help with this question:
"Use proof by contradiction to show that, given a rational number a and an irrational number b, a-b is irrational"
Any ideas on how to do this
Original post by DankoMan
"Use proof by contradiction to show that, given a rational number a and an irrational number b, a-b is irrational"

We have that a=pqa = \dfrac{p}{q} with pZp \in \mathbb{Z} and qNq \in \mathbb{N} since it's rational. Now we also have that bb cannot be expressed in that way.

Suppose, on the contrary, that aba-b is rational.

Then we have that ab=rsa-b = \dfrac{r}{s} with rZr \in \mathbb{Z} and sNs \in \mathbb{N}, then what is bb ??
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
We have that a=pqa = \dfrac{p}{q} with pNp \in \mathbb{N} and qZq \in \mathbb{Z} since it's rational. Now we also have that bb cannot be expressed in that way.

Suppose, on the contrary, that aba-b is rational.

Then we have that ab=rsa-b = \dfrac{r}{s} with rNr \in \mathbb{N} and sZs \in \mathbb{Z}, then is bb ??

Damn that set notation though
Original post by 3pointonefour
Damn that set notation though

Doesn't help that I initially put them in the wrong sets without realising which allowed the denominators to be zero. :facepalm2:
Reply 4
Original post by DankoMan

RDKgames' comment is probably what you want but this is more a general way to do these. The first thing you need to do is work out which statement you're working with in the proof. It helps if you write the original statement in IF-THEN form. That is, If ..., then...

In this case, we have If a is rational and b is irrational, then a-b is irrational. Then what you have to do is negate the THEN part of the statement. That is the statement becomes If... then not...

In this case, we are working with If a is rational and b is irrational, then a-b is rational.

Quick Reply

Latest