The Student Room Group

How is it like to study in Scotland?

Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meg0123
Anyone?

I'm in Edinburgh and the area is very nice. Not as cold and wet as you might think :smile:

Any specific questions?
Original post by Meg0123
Anyone?

It is like studying in England but you have to wear a kilt and drink Buck Fast.
Reply 3
@Blue_Cow is it very tough? I know it probably depends on the course :smile:
Edinburgh seems to be a lovely city! I was thinking about choosing it as my destination. But I'm afraid about the costs...
Reply 4
@Day Of The Rope haha, I hope it is. But I have no idea how it's like to study in Scotland or England because I'm not living there. Unfortunately :frown:
Original post by Meg0123
@Blue_Cow is it very tough? I know it probably depends on the course :smile:
Edinburgh seems to be a lovely city! I was thinking about choosing it as my destination. But I'm afraid about the costs...

You're right, it does depend on the course.
Rent is quite silly up here, but the university does offer some generous bursaries for students on lower income https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-funding/undergraduate/uk-eu/access-awards/ruk
Reply 6
Original post by Blue_Cow
You're right, it does depend on the course.
Rent is quite silly up here, but the university does offer some generous bursaries for students on lower income https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-funding/undergraduate/uk-eu/access-awards/ruk

Oh, thank you for the link!
By the way, what are you studying?
Original post by Meg0123
Oh, thank you for the link!
By the way, what are you studying?

Computer Science :smile:
Reply 8

Sounds nice :biggrin:
I was thinking about history of arts.
Original post by Meg0123
Sounds nice :biggrin:
I was thinking about history of arts.

:borat: That sounds pretty cool! I've not been inside the College of Art yet, but the buildings look nice.
Reply 10
:borat: That sounds pretty cool! I've not been inside the College of Art yet, but the buildings look nice.

Well, I hope so! But I'm too afraid about the unsure situation with the Brexit :frown:
Original post by Meg0123
Well, I hope so! But I'm too afraid about the unsure situation with the Brexit :frown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42902981

Does this settle your mind a bit?
Reply 12
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42902981

Does this settle your mind a bit?

I've seen this a few times already but then I always came across the information that nothing can be sure. And the whole application process overwhelms me a little. But thank you.

I want to get into either imperial JMC or Edinburgh Minf Informatics (which is the most intense undergraduate computer science course they offer; takes 5 years to complete.) Could you give a comparison between Edinburgh and Imperial. Edinburgh gives you an extra year in a very large deparment but Imperial has a stronger international reputation, prestige and includes an industrial placement as part of the MEng Course.
Original post by JudaicImposter
I want to get into either imperial JMC or Edinburgh Minf Informatics (which is the most intense undergraduate computer science course they offer; takes 5 years to complete.) Could you give a comparison between Edinburgh and Imperial. Edinburgh gives you an extra year in a very large deparment but Imperial has a stronger international reputation, prestige and includes an industrial placement as part of the MEng Course.

I have no experience of Imperial, so I can't really give a comparison :frown: Sorry!
Reply 15
I have no experience of Imperial, so I can't really give a comparison :frown: Sorry!

If I can ask, where are you from?
Original post by Meg0123
If I can ask, where are you from?

England :smile:
Reply 17
England :smile:

Okay, good to know :smile:
I'm from Poland by the way.
Original post by Meg0123
Okay, good to know :smile:
I'm from Poland by the way.

:borat:
I'm a first year at Aberdeen uni and so far it's been pretty easy, I think that's because the degrees in Scotland are four years instead of three - so the first two years are less intense than in other places. The weather is decent so far and I've seen kilts and buckfast around, but it's mostly mini skirts and vodka. There's also a lot of international students, in my corridor only five out of eighteen are from the UK.

Hope that helps, do you have any specific questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending