The Student Room Group

Official LSE 2019/20 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Well, as official as I can make it.

The application portal opened TODAY! :badger::banana2::banana:
Let's support each other as we prepare our applications and our wallets.

As in other threads, let's get familiar by using:

- Current University:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course(s):
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities:

As for me:

- Current University: UCL (for PGDE; graduated from QMUL two years ago)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Pass (pass/fail course; achieved a 1st from my undergraduate in politics)
- Prospective Course(s): Msc in Social Research Methods - 2nd choice is Msc in Behavioural Sciences
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: I went to Timeout's 'Battle of the Burgers' this weekend; undercooked beef is too tasty.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There we go:

- Current University: Universidad Europea de Madrid (Spain). Double Bachelor's Degree in International Business and International Relations, with exchanges at McGill University, UC Berkeley and the LSE itself.
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 9/10, equivalent to a 1st in the UK
- Prospective Course(s): 1st choice. MSc. Public Policy and Administration. 2nd. MSc. International Political Economy.
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: I'm spending this semester at the LSE and some of my professors teach in the MSc. programmes I want to apply to. Internships at the OECD (in development), Salesforce and Google (business development/sales/marketing). Joined a couple of student societies while studying abroad and I collaborate with the Global Shapers initiative of the World Economic Forum.
Reply 2
- Current University: Top 10 US Econ Department
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 3.8/4.0 (more or less equivalent to a 1st in the UK)
- Prospective Course(s): 1) MSc in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
2) MSc in Economics
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: I've studied abroad before in the U.K. and am excited at the prospect of going back for graduate school. Nice to meet you all :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
- Current University: one of the business schools in continental Europe you regularly find in the Financial Times rankings
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Equivalent to (upper) first degree - depends on the conversion LSE uses (within my school it's top 5% at least)
- Prospective Course(s): MSc Management
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Worked in a student-led consultancy and co-organised several workshops; apart from that I did some voluntary tutoring

My GMAT score is slightly below the average of the programme, so I hope that my GPA and personal statement will somehow compensate that :s-smilie:

Btw, did anyone of you already notice a change in the order of the documents in your application tracker? I saw that my transcript moved down a spot. Does that mean that someone started to actually look into my application or is it my pure imagination?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SaintsRow

Btw, did anyone of you already notice a change in the order of the documents in your application tracker? I saw that my transcript moved down a spot. Does that mean that someone started to actually look into my application or is it my pure imagination?

Flicking through last year's thread, there's a rumour that your transcripts will be moved to the very bottom just ahead of one being given an offer. So yes, they might be looking through your application: how terrifying!

I'm rather happy that my day job will keep me away from the computer, as otherwise I would turn into an LSE for you addict.
(edited 5 years ago)
Current University: Stanford University BA in Economics
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 3.9/4
- Prospective Course(s): 1st choice. MSc in Economics 2nd choice: MSc Economics and Management
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Have spent a semester at LSE and originally am from UK, excited to be back in london
Original post by ankursharma
Current University: Stanford University BA in Economics
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 3.9/4
- Prospective Course(s): 1st choice. MSc in Economics 2nd choice: MSc Economics and Management
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Have spent a semester at LSE and originally am from UK, excited to be back in london

That's an amazing profile - you shouldn't worry too much about you application I guess (assuming your GMAT score is very good as well).
Getting to know each other: why did you pick the LSE? :cool:

For me, it's one of the best universities in the country for entering the social sciences.

Plus, being an NQT within a grad scheme which makes me simultaneously a full time teacher and student, I think the LSE's high-stake work environment will keep me productive. (I was a little less assiduous during my undergrad.)
(edited 5 years ago)
I chose LSE because of its academic approach - it's very hard to find a management program that really focuses on critical thinking and in-depth discussions. Many other business schools just try to teach as fast and efficiently and thus superficially as possible (which is often advertised as "practice-oriented":wink:. Let's see if I get a chance to experience the LSE approach tho :/
That's an amazing profile - you shouldn't worry too much about you application I guess (assuming your GMAT score is very good as well).

GMAT is 760
- Current University: Accounting and Finance with a top 10 UK university (delivered overseas)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st class; 720 GMAT
- Prospective Course(s): MSc Management; MSc Management and Strategy
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Lots of extracurricular involvement including a management consulting internship with a Big 4, pioneering a student-run NGO, and co-leading an inter-university research project

Application got passed to the selectors last night, and now my wait begins
- Current University: one of the business schools in continental Europe you regularly find in the Financial Times rankings
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Equivalent to (upper) first degree - depends on the conversion LSE uses (within my school it's top 5% at least)
- Prospective Course(s): MSc Management
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Worked in a student-led consultancy and co-organised several workshops; apart from that I did some voluntary tutoring

My GMAT score is slightly below the average of the programme, so I hope that my GPA and personal statement will somehow compensate that :s-smilie:

Hi SaintsRow, I'm applying for the same programme as my first choice! Hopefully we can be course-mates next year. My transcript is the 4th item after my GMAT and before my references. Did admissions get back to you after the shift? Also, may I know when your application was passed to the selectors please? :smile:
Original post by HeartnSoul
Hi SaintsRow, I'm applying for the same programme as my first choice! Hopefully we can be course-mates next year. My transcript is the 4th item after my GMAT and before my references. Did admissions get back to you after the shift? Also, may I know when your application was passed to the selectors please? :smile:
Hi HeartnSoul, first of all - congrats for your outstanding GMAT score. In combination with your grades and extracurricular activities, I think that you have a very good chance of being admitted. The AdCom didn't get back to me after the shift. I received my ID exactly one week ago.
GMAT is 760
Wow. Did you apply to Oxbridge as well?
Wow. Did you apply to Oxbridge as well?

Yup, along with UCl and Imperial
Yup, along with UCl and Imperial

Nice! I'm pretty sure you'll get offers from UCL, Imperial and LSE. Which one would you chose in case you get offers from all schools? I guess Oxford is the best for economics right?
Hi HeartnSoul, first of all - congrats for your outstanding GMAT score. In combination with your grades and extracurricular activities, I think that you have a very good chance of being admitted. The AdCom didn't get back to me after the shift. I received my ID exactly one week ago.

Thank you! :biggrin: Your profile looks amazing, I'm sure they'll send you an offer eventually. Did you apply for other institutions?
(edited 5 years ago)
LSE have put me on the waiting list, as 'stronger applicants may be placed on the waiting list when the selectors wish to see more files to gain a better idea of the applicant pool before making a final decision.' They wish to 'reconsider [my] application in a few weeks. Please be aware that although [my] application was considered strong enough to be placed on the waiting list, either outcome is still possible.'

When that email hit, I thought that it was going to be a rejection. Purgatory is much preferred.
Original post by HeartnSoul
Thank you! :biggrin: Your profile looks amazing, I'm sure they'll send you an offer eventually. Did you apply for other institutions?
Thank you. Although I'm not sure if it's enough for a programme with more than 20 applicants per available spot (that figure is really terrifying :s-smilie: ) Apart from LSE, I applied/will apply to Imperial, LBS, St. Gallen, HEC and my home institution. What about you?
Original post by Just a Bloke
LSE have put me on the waiting list, as 'stronger applicants may be placed on the waiting list when the selectors wish to see more files to gain a better idea of the applicant pool before making a final decision.' They wish to 'reconsider [my] application in a few weeks. Please be aware that although [my] application was considered strong enough to be placed on the waiting list, either outcome is still possible.'

When that email hit, I thought that it was going to be a rejection. Purgatory is much preferred.
I've never heard of someone being waitlisted so early, but it's definitely a good thing - you're probably at the top of the waiting list :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
hey guys,

any idea how much time it takes after I have received my ID, they say 8 weeks but has anyone known of people who have received offers earlier?

Latest