The Student Room Group

How to cope when you feel so low - first year mature student

Hi, I started uni this year. It’s only the second week and I’m lay in bed basically wanting to cry and not go back. I get this is a low moment so I won’t act on it. I left a good paid job last year from depression and wanted to turn my life around - I couldn’t stay there any longer and redundancy was looming so wouldn’t of been safe anyway. I struggled on induction week realising how many hours I’m in, with travelling and a home life it will be hard. Some days I feel happy, and think wow I could do this and have a great future. But on down days when there seems to be so much to do I feel it would be so much easier to go back to adult life not do this to myself - but then back to looking for bottom paid jobs which I can’t live like that- that’s also no life. 3 years is a tiny amount of time really, but I just need some words of wisdom ...... any advice x
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Hi, I started uni this year. It’s only the second week and I’m lay in bed basically wanting to cry and not go back. I get this is a low moment so I won’t act on it. I left a good paid job last year from depression and wanted to turn my life around - I couldn’t stay there any longer and redundancy was looming so wouldn’t of been safe anyway. I struggled on induction week realising how many hours I’m in, with travelling and a home life it will be hard. Some days I feel happy, and think wow I could do this and have a great future. But on down days when there seems to be so much to do I feel it would be so much easier to go back to adult life not do this to myself - but then back to looking for bottom paid jobs which I can’t live like that- that’s also no life. 3 years is a tiny amount of time really, but I just need some words of wisdom ...... any advice x

Think about it - you chose university as a way to change your life, to try something new. Focus on the reason you are there - to pursue a subject you are interested in, to find your happiness, to make a better life for yourself. As you have just started, I would give it more time for you to settle in. Once you start the course and meet new people, you will get more used to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending