The Student Room Group

I hate my uni life but I can't seem to find a way out of my problems. Help?

I'm in my 2nd year and I've hated my university (Herts) since my first day there. Though my course isn't bad, and I got to meet a few decent people, I just don't seem to belong there at all. I always thought I would end up in a more prestigious uni during my secondary years (I know that sounds snobbish). Ending up in an ex-poly uni, however, became a symbol of my downfall since I did have "outstanding grades" (teachers' words, not mine) before my A-levels.
I came to this uni pessimistic, and I still have the same mindset towards it to this day. Every day I keep on thinking about this uni and how bad it is and it makes me depressed and I lash out at everyone around me for no reason. I'm a commute student so maybe I may not be experiencing the full uni life, but I believe that even if I did live in the residence halls I'd still feel down in the dumps.
I don't want to drop out because, after all, I do like my course, but I could've transferred to a different uni and continued my studies there, which I was unsuccessful in doing (despite applying for multiple places), and now it's too late for me to do that again. No-one in my family, friends or course is any help, so I turn my head towards you guys as a last resort and ask for any new advice I was too dumb to not even think about. Thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ErayTHFC
I'm in my 2nd year and I've hated my university (Herts) since my first day there. Though my course isn't bad, and I got to meet a few decent people, I just don't seem to belong there at all. I always thought I would end up in a more prestigious uni during my secondary years (I know that sounds snobbish). Ending up in an ex-poly uni, however, became a symbol of my downfall since I did have "outstanding grades" (teachers' words, not mine) before my A-levels.
I came to this uni pessimistic, and I still have the same mindset towards it to this day. Every day I keep on thinking about this uni and how bad it is and it makes me depressed and I lash out at everyone around me for no reason. I'm a commute student so maybe I may not be experiencing the full uni life, but I believe that even if I did live in the residence halls I'd still feel down in the dumps.
I don't want to drop out because, after all, I do like my course, but I could've transferred to a different uni and continued my studies there, which I was unsuccessful in doing (despite applying for multiple places), and now it's too late for me to do that again. No-one in my family, friends or course is any help, so I turn my head towards you guys as a last resort and ask for any new advice I was too dumb to not even think about. Thanks.

I know it wasn't what you were expecting, but your university experience is what you make of it. As you mentioned, it will be too late to transfer universities, so you can either spend the rest of your time focus on the negatives of your course or you can look to get out as much as you can from your degree.

What are you studying and what do you hope to do? Have you started getting work experience for your job applications?

Hi @ErayTHFC,

Really sorry to hear you're not enjoying your time here. As @cheesecakelove said university is often what you make it, have you joined any clubs or societies? If you don't mind, could you let me know what course you are studying? I could find out some of the opportunities/extra-curricular activities you could get involved in that you may not know about. Does your course offer a work placement or study abroad year?

I can also put you in touch with our wellbeing team here? They're here to support you and hep you make the most of your time at uni.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather
Reply 3
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi @ErayTHFC,

Really sorry to hear you're not enjoying your time here. As @cheesecakelove said university is often what you make it, have you joined any clubs or societies? If you don't mind, could you let me know what course you are studying? I could find out some of the opportunities/extra-curricular activities you could get involved in that you may not know about. Does your course offer a work placement or study abroad year?

I can also put you in touch with our wellbeing team here? They're here to support you and help you make the most of your time at uni.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather

I can't really join any society since I live away from uni so I can't make it to their sessions. I joined 3 last year hoping it would change my aspects of Herts yet nothing came out of it. I do pharmacy, and although I do enjoy the course, I don't enjoy it enough to do activities or join societies related to it. My course only does a two-day long placement and no I am unable to study abroad due to my school's (or course's) restrictions.

I have been in touch with Wellbeing but they weren't much help. I know a week has passed since this thread but I'm starting to figure out that maybe I'm just jealous of my past friends going to better-ranked universities with great nightlife.

Thanks for replying though.
Reply 4
Original post by cheesecakelove
I know it wasn't what you were expecting, but your university experience is what you make of it. As you mentioned, it will be too late to transfer universities, so you can either spend the rest of your time focus on the negatives of your course or you can look to get out as much as you can from your degree.

What are you studying and what do you hope to do? Have you started getting work experience for your job applications?

I don't think I'll ever fully get to experience my uni life. I can't really make an experience out of coming into the campus at the crack of dawn, attending 3 lectures a day, take an hour to eat or study alone and go home before sunset. It's more of a work environment than a university environment. I'd have done an apprenticeship if I knew this is how I would feel like at Herts. I've been to more nights out at East Anglia than Hertfordshire and that's saying something. I didn't even go to Freshers' Week.

I do have course friends, but they aren't close enough; we only keep in touch when we're in lectures, and nothing else.

I do pharmacy so sadly I can't work in my local pharmacies during weekends because they're open for a reduced time on Saturdays and closed on Sundays, and my nearest hospital only accepts summer internships (and it's mid-October right as I write this :biggrin:).
Thank you for replying
(edited 5 years ago)
I can't really join any society since I live away from uni so I can't make it to their sessions. I joined 3 last year hoping it would change my aspects of Herts yet nothing came out of it. I do pharmacy, and although I do enjoy the course, I don't enjoy it enough to do activities or join societies related to it. My course only does a two-day long placement and no I am unable to study abroad due to my school's (or course's) restrictions.

I have been in touch with Wellbeing but they weren't much help. I know a week has passed since this thread but I'm starting to figure out that maybe I'm just jealous of my past friends going to better-ranked universities with great nightlife.

Thanks for replying though.

Hi @ErayTHFC,

I'm sorry to hear that the Well-being team were not able to help you. Have you tried talking to your Programme Tutor about how you are feeling? They're there for pastoral and academic support.

There are plenty of extra-curricular activities you can take part in when you are on campus. Keep an eye on our social media pages as there is always something going on around campus you can take part in. @Herts UG Student Rep and @Herts PG Student Rep can help you find activities that would be of interest and help you get the most out of your time at the University.

Thanks,
Emily
Reply 6
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi @ErayTHFC,

I'm sorry to hear that the Well-being team were not able to help you. Have you tried talking to your Programme Tutor about how you are feeling? They're there for pastoral and academic support.

There are plenty of extra-curricular activities you can take part in when you are on campus. Keep an eye on our social media pages as there is always something going on around campus you can take part in. @Herts UG Student Rep and @Herts PG Student Rep can help you find activities that would be of interest and help you get the most out of your time at the University.

Thanks,
Emily

I would give the programme tutor a try, he is a generally kind person so hopefully he can help me on that. I am also aware of your social media but only a fraction of the activities were appealing (no offence). I've been to some movie nights but they're not enough to make me satisfied about university life.
I would give the programme tutor a try, he is a generally kind person so hopefully he can help me on that. I am also aware of your social media but only a fraction of the activities were appealing (no offence). I've been to some movie nights but they're not enough to make me satisfied about university life.

Hi ErayTHFC,

I'm glad to hear you will chat to your programme leader as I'm sure he will be able to help and provide you with support during this time

Sorry to hear that you can't find the right activities, but it might be a good idea to try just one of them out - you might find that you enjoy it more than you think, and it will be another chance to meet more friends too! Our students Union also have over 120 societies so if you look into these further, there may be a few on there that you could think about joining I know you commute to the University, but many of them occur at different times so could fit into your schedule - or, if you have more specific interests, you could even create your own society - it'll be a fun way to spend your free time, you'll be able to schedule it around your commuting, and it will give you something different to focus on too! If that sounds like something you'd like to do, just pop over to the SU website to find out more info!

We also have an active students programme if you'd like to get involved with a range of sporty activities - there's a timetable released every week, with some of the sessions starting as early as 9am or as late as 9.30pm!

I hope this helps!
Juliette

Quick Reply

Latest