The Student Room Group

Is it okay to go to the cinema alone?

will it be weird if I went alone? I have no one to go with
I go to the cinema quite often on my own, I'm on a first name basis with a lot of the staff there, but nah it's not odd at all. Just go and enjoy it, my Grandad goes by himself all the time if I'm not free. Besides what's the worry? No one's going to be thinking "what a loner". They'll be enjoying the move just like you.
No, it doesn't matter. Lots of people do it. I've seen animated movies by myself when I was the only person above 10 who wasn't a parent, and nobody cared. Don't worry! Sorry to hear you've got nobody to go with, though.
Original post by Anonymous

Go alone. No one will care.

No, it's not weird
It doesn't matter if it's weird or not, if you feel good going to the cinema alone, then definitely do that. If you want to see that film, definitely do that, you can start a conversation with the people from there. Try to meet people, join societies, do everything you can to get some friends. You never know when you find that family ^^
Reply 6
Definitely not weird. I usually go alone to watch movies I'm keen on watching. I just wait a bit after they've been released to avoid large crowds and kids so that I can fully immerse myself without distraction!
I prefer going with someone, but I do go to the cinema alone sometimes. I don't see the problem.
Reply 8
It depends on what you want. If you need only good movie, it's okay.
At first I thought it was weird to go cinema on my own however one time I just went as I wanted to see a film and had no one to go with. It felt really weird but then I went again another time but now I have a cinema card so can go see as many as I want for monthly cost. I have been quite a few time now on my own and have even done movie marathons with watching 2/3 films straight after each other (maybe half hour to hour wait between film). I'm still not totally comfortable with it however the more you go on your own the more comfortable you'll get with doing it. I don't see many people going on their own
What would you be doing if you went with friends, talk to them all the way through it? It's fine, nobody's going to think less of you for it, and most likely you won't be the only one.
Why do you think it is weird? I always do that if there's a good movie and I have nobody to go with.
Reply 12

get friends ******
Reply 13
Being alone in a dark room with a movie on a huge screen sounds like the perfect getaway

I went to see 'A Star is Born' last weekend unaccompanied/as a single person. Makes no difference at all you get a ticket and sit on a seat of your choice for approximately two hours then exit the theatre. It's quite common for people to get a monthly cinema pass and visit the cinema multiple times a month whenever they feel like it or have time; at least that's what I do anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
lol if they do care, you will likely never see them again so just go!

Quick Reply