The Student Room Group

First driving lesson

So I’ve got my first driving lesson on Wednesday. SUPER nervous I’m 21 and finally built up the courage as I thought the fear is probably all just in my head. But is that REALLY true? This may sound stupid but my main fear is being on the road around other cars and not knowing where to go and what lane to get into. This sounds so ridiculous as I’ve lived in this area for all my life. Does it become easier ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Yeah, it does get easier with practice. Soon, you will get into your car and drive somewhere. Then you would think how did I get here. It will be like you go onto automatic pilot.
Original post by Devilboy_1
So I’ve got my first driving lesson on Wednesday. SUPER nervous I’m 21 and finally built up the courage as I thought the fear is probably all just in my head. But is that REALLY true? This may sound stupid but my main fear is being on the road around other cars and not knowing where to go and what lane to get into. This sounds so ridiculous as I’ve lived in this area for all my life. Does it become easier ?

Your instructor will guide you into the correct lane in plenty of time at the start :smile: It definitely gets easier.

Try not to worry if you end up in the wrong lane/do a wrong turn. I've done that many times when I'm unable to change lane due to traffic and just not knowing the area in general, even after passing :lol: Just carry on, and turn around at the nearest opportunity.
You're not gonna be doing all that stuff on your first lesson. Your instructor will take you to a very quiet road, show you all the instruments in the car, and then teach you how to move off, correctly brake to a stop, and steer.

Quick Reply

Latest