The Student Room Group

Do I have a black box or pay £1,000 more not to have one?

I have been quoted £1300 for a black box with More than Wheels and £2300 with Churchill without a black box. As you can see, the price difference is considerably more without however, I have read a lot of reviews/stories online about how strict black boxes have become. I work full-time and my insurance would be paid monthly therefore it would not make a massive difference to me but if a black box is actually not that bad then £1,000 is better in my pocket then the insurance company. What do you recommend doing and what are your experiences with a black box? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by milkshake15
I have been quoted £1300 for a black box with More than Wheels and £2300 with Churchill without a black box. As you can see, the price difference is considerably more without however, I have read a lot of reviews/stories online about how strict black boxes have become. I work full-time and my insurance would be paid monthly therefore it would not make a massive difference to me but if a black box is actually not that bad then £1,000 is better in my pocket then the insurance company. What do you recommend doing and what are your experiences with a black box? Thank you

Never ever cheap out on an insurance policy.
Reply 2
More Than is probably the worst black box company out there. It would be smarter to spend that extra 1k on a policy without black box instead of risking a black box company cancelling your insurance which means you’ll have to spend thousands more to get insured again.
Definitely pay the £1k if you can afford it.

If you can afford it, please go for the non-black box policy :yes:
I'd definitely shop around on some insurance price comparison sites, you might be able to find a lower quote:

gocompare.com

www.moneysupermarket.com

confused.com
Reply 6
I found USwitch compare gave me the lowest quotes so try them too
Reply 7
Black boxes are okay if you're not a complete d*c*head on the road. And will save you some money. However, I wouldn't recommend black boxes from that company. Perhaps from a more suitable company. Otherwise, if you can, go without a black box.
Reply 8
Original post by Dann.It
Black boxes are okay if you're not a complete d*c*head on the road. And will save you some money. However, I wouldn't recommend black boxes from that company. Perhaps from a more suitable company. Otherwise, if you can, go without a black box.

Yeah, because an emergency stop as a child runs out into the road, or accelerating out the way of a lorry pulling into your lane makes you a ********...
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom
Yeah, because an emergency stop as a child runs out into the road, or accelerating out the way of a lorry pulling into your lane makes you a ********...

Of course, it is expected that you'd get marked down for those situations. However it is very unlikely that those situations would occur on a regular basis, therefore black box companies tend to treat it as a one off...it wouldn't be an instant cancellation for emergency breaking; as they work on averages...

And to add on, in that lorry situation; usually, you'd need to accelerate for literally a few seconds to get out of the way. 9/10 black box won't even pick it up, as it's not met the distance threshold for it to start recording...

P.s, have you actually ever had a black box policy/black box? Or do you just go off what everyone here says, whenever their policy gets cancelled probably due to their own stupidity.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Dann.It
Of course, it is expected that you'd get marked down for those situations. However it is very unlikely that those situations would occur on a regular basis, therefore black box companies tend to treat it as a one off...it wouldn't be an instant cancellation for emergency breaking; as they work on averages...

And to add on, in that lorry situation; usually, you'd need to accelerate for literally a few seconds to get out of the way. 9/10 black box won't even pick it up, as it's not met the distance threshold for it to start recording...

P.s, have you actually ever had a black box policy/black box? Or do you just go off what everyone here says, whenever their policy gets cancelled probably due to their own stupidity.

You really don't know how these magical boxes work on the inside, do you?
Original post by IWMTom
You really don't know how these magical boxes work on the inside, do you?

Well, most certainly not the same way as you do. I've had a black box policy for 3 years, all of which with 3 different companies. And I've speeded, took a lot of corners a lot faster, done so many emergency breaks, so really all the usual things which occur in every day driving. And yet, none of my policies have been cancelled or even reached a point where 'warnings' are given out. Heck, my current policy has restrictions on driving times - therefore you get a negative score if you drive between midnight - 6 am. I go the gym after midnight and do drive to the gym ( 4x a week), and yes I've received negative scoring for usage. But my policy is still here. Why? Because it works by averages, so if you drive during the day normal too, it balances it out.

It's actually been on negative for 'usage' for the last 10 months...( 1 month of policy left).

So as I said, not all of them are as you make them out to be. So long as you're not stupid, then you're fine. Of course, each company are different and have different guidelines etc, but most of them are actually similar. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt touch a black box with a bargepole.
As well as all the bad stuff with them, some also have curfews and mileage limits, not helpful if you work full time.
Dont have a black box. But look around to see if you can get a better price though.
I say the opposite. black box is not that bad save 1000£
Adrian Flux isn't too bad. My box from my knowledge only cares about me speeding excessively. Sudden braking or acceleration it doesn't seem to care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending