Is it pretentious to say "I don't like the idea of Oxford..." ?

Watch
username3155644
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Like the title says.... Is it pretentious to say that? I have the grades to apply but I just don't feel like it's for me. I respect Oxford people a lot, but yaa, personally I'm not sure I'd fit in.

Thanks xx
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not pretentious to say that, BUT I very sincerely hope that if you're not applying for Oxford, it's for the right reasons. It's not for everyone but I worry about your idea that you wouldn't "fit in" :sadnod:
username3155644
Rep:
?
haha ok i was just curious because i say that to people and they look at me weirdly cus they love oxford so much and absolutely want to get in...
username3155644
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
It's not pretentious to say that, BUT I very sincerely hope that if you're not applying for Oxford, it's for the right reasons. It's not for everyone but I worry about your idea that you wouldn't "fit in" :sadnod:
Right, I really want to study medicine, and I know competition is even harder at Oxford, so to maximise my chances I applied to other universities that will fit my strengths best. My ambitious choice is actually UCL because it seems more international than Oxford, but then I could be wrong.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What makes you think you’d get in anyway? xx
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jackomarie)
Right, I really want to study medicine, and I know competition is even harder at Oxford, so to maximise my chances I applied to other universities that will fit my strengths best. My ambitious choice is actually UCL because it seems more international than Oxford, but then I could be wrong.
Ah if you're applying to medicine, then that makes more sense that you may not want to apply to Oxford if you feel you won't get in :yes: Medicine is so tough as it is! :sadnod:

Idk, Oxford seemed pretty international to me but I don't know the stats of Oxford v. UCL :nah:

Good luck with your application
Acerius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's absolutely no reason why you should feel obligated, for any reason, to have a positive opinion of either Cambridge or Oxford, or any other institution for that matter. While they all have their reputations for various reasons, at the end of the day it is entirely subjective and down to you as a person. However, as someone mentioned earlier, you shouldn't base this simply off of the fact that you may not fit in - there are many pre-conceived ideas of how students at Oxbridge are and how they should act, but both have come leaps and bounds in terms of widening access and social inclusion. Is there something in particular that concerns you about Oxford?
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the course isn't what you are looking for, then that seems sensible as you need to be sure that what you are taking on maps on to your strengths and interests. Medicine is potentially a six year commitment. Sometimes strong prospective applicants have their decisions made for them by others (in effect) - either due to misconceptions or because of peer group disapproval. That is a shame because we should all aim to live our own lives. On the international point, the GMC set a quota for overseas students for all Medicine courses so there is not really an issue here.

Note also that Oxford has a much higher overseas student UG community than UK universities in general. Within UK higher education, home students comprise 85% of UGs, EU 5% and international 10%. At Oxford, the split is 78%, 8%, 14% with international recruitment growing the fastest of the three groups and is not dominated by one particular country/nationality. That is quite interesting - from a global perspective, it appears that students from many different cultures and regions believe that Oxford is for them and that they would in fact fit in here.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you looked at the course, not just your perception of your probability of an offer? IMO, Oxford would push you further.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyone on this site has the grades to apply. You're not special.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
haha ok i was just curious because i say that to people and they look at me weirdly cus they love oxford so much and absolutely want to get in...
I know a few students who have applied, got interviews and offers and rejected them. There are still a disproportional number of Private school students and some of them can regard others as 'inferior'. It's not for everyone ...some degrees are also not the best.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Note also that Oxford has a much higher overseas student UG community than UK universities in general. Within UK higher education, home students comprise 85% of UGs, EU 5% and international 10%. At Oxford, the split is 78%, 8%, 14% with international recruitment growing the fastest of the three groups and is not dominated by one particular country/nationality. That is quite interesting - from a global perspective, it appears that students from many different cultures and regions believe that Oxford is for them and that they would in fact fit in here.
In fairness UCL has more International students : 30%
Although of course that % won't apply to medicine.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 3121)
Savage...
username3155644
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3121)
I definetely don't think I'll get in, as I'm an EU student and haven't done GCSEs and all that stuff, so I know applying would be very risky. That's why I'm just trying to find out if 'not liking the idea of Oxford' is a good enough reason to not apply (cus it's just based on gut-feeling/emotion), so I don't waste an application/ regret not trying to apply, if that makes any sense...
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To directly answer your question, most people who volunteer that they don't like the "idea" have not actually done any research and have lots of misconceptions. Its not that you can't be informed and make a decision not to apply - its just that people who do so tend not to make a big song and dance about it!

I definetely don't think I'll get in, as I'm an EU student and haven't done GCSEs and all that stuff, so I know applying would be very risky. That's why I'm just trying to find out if 'not liking the idea of Oxford' is a good enough reason to not apply (cus it's just based on gut-feeling/emotion), so I don't waste an application/ regret not trying to apply, if that makes any sense...
You seem to be saying there are legitimate reasons to not apply then claiming those are "emotion"? Do some research - if you feel that your chances are low, or that you don't like the course, or you want a huge city not a medium sized town, then that can be your reason. "Not fitting in", or "I don't like the idea", probably isn't the best reasoning if you actually talk to students, but it shouldn't need to be!

Oxford is very international - that comes with being a famous university - although of course non-EU spaces are capped for medicine anyway. The demographics of London itself are quite different though.

Also a quick reminder that you can transfer to UCL after 3 years at Oxford.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Note also that Oxford has a much higher overseas student UG community than UK universities in general. ..., it appears that students from many different cultures and regions believe that Oxford is for them and that they would in fact fit in here.
I think this is also because international applicants don't have the chip on their shoulder and obsession with class that UK applicants (still) have, unfortunately.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username3155644)
Non-UK applicants aren't expected to have "GCSEs and all that stuff".
Violet Days
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was going to apply to Cambridge with biology- did all exams needed and my expected grades at A level are AA*A*- I went to a summer school there and it was awful lol- teachers were really pretentious and would act as though students who were not at their level were stupid, but how is an 18 yr old supposed to be as smart as someone in their 30's with masters etc. Rooms were awful and dirty, students there seemed miserable, and overall it really put me off so I did not want to continue with my application. So although mine was Cambridge I don't think it's pretentious more honest depending on your experience and the atmosphere.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Violet Days)
I was going to apply to Cambridge with biology- did all exams needed and my expected grades at A level are AA*A*- I went to a summer school there and it was awful lol- teachers were really pretentious and would act as though students who were not at their level were stupid, but how is an 18 yr old supposed to be as smart as someone in their 30's with masters etc. Rooms were awful and dirty, students there seemed miserable, and overall it really put me off so I did not want to continue with my application. So although mine was Cambridge I don't think it's pretentious more honest depending on your experience and the atmosphere.
Was this a Sutton Trust organised summer school, or privately organised? Did you have to pay for the event?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Violet Days
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Was this a Sutton Trust organised summer school, or privately organised? Did you have to pay for the event?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend sent me the link and I applied through it with my answers already written in preparation. I didn't pay and it wasn't the Sutton trust either. It was for people from lower class backgrounds trying to do courses that are competitive etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (100)
60.61%
No (34)
20.61%
Not sure (31)
18.79%

Watched Threads