Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cxralreef)
    Hi BrasenoseAdm

I was wondering what the average marks are for the LAT portion of the MLAT and what kind of marks successful applicants receive
    Hello cxralreef,

Unfortunately we (as a College) don't keep section-specific test result data so it would be hard to give you a reasonable average.

We certainly aren't expecting 100% though! Tests such as the LAT are meant to be challenging (both in content and the time allowed for it).

Our advice - don't worry about targeting a specific result in the LAT, just do your best and embrace the challenge!

Brasenose Admissions
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    NOTICE TO ALL 2018-19 APPLICANTS

Hello everyone,

We just wanted to give you some basic information that we hope you find useful.

Firstly, and we have to stress this - we are just one College, and other colleges may send you specific information regarding what you need to do next. Below is just a selection of things we think will be true for most applicants. We cannot speak for other colleges when it comes to things like when shortlisting decisions will be sent out - we just don't know!

Second, for those applying for A100 Medicine and BC98 Biomedical Sciences a lot of the processes are different, and the colleges won't receive applications until the interview stage. So much of the information below will not apply to you. We think the process for A101 Graduate Entry Medicine is also different, although this is not offered at Brasenose and so we aren't sure.

We (the colleges) are hoping that we can begin 'active consideration' of your applications from tomorrow (Tuesday 23rd October). What we mean by this is that we don't currently have access to your applications within our systems (they are being processed by the central University), and that we are expecting this access tomorrow. Once this happens, you should receive an email from your College, acknowledging your application and providing you with some further information - please read this email really, really carefully! If you haven't received an email tomorrow don't worry. Please wait until the end of Wednesday 24th October to contact your college - they may be facing unexpected delays. A100/BC98 applicants should instead expect to hear from the Medical School, rather than their college.

The acknowledgement email you receive might contain information on (not an exhaustive list):
    Submitting Written Work - please wait until you receive the email before trying to send it in!
    Opting for a Skype interview (for those resident outside the EEA)
    Providing your college with more information on your declared disability

For Brasenose applicants this email will be customized for your course (ie those applying for a course that does not require the submission of Written Work won't have that section in their email), but we don't think this will be the case for everyone. So don't panic if you see something in the email that doesn't apply to you! Just read it all carefully and make sure you understand what you are required to do next.

Shortlisting decisions are almost all made in the second half of November. Some courses may just creep in before then in early-mid November (typically those without a test). We try to give you two weeks notice if you are attending interviews, and the worst case should hopefully still be at least a week. Typically shortlisting decisions at a single college are released by course. This means that, for example, at Brasenose we'll send all our Biochemistry shortlisting decisions at the same time. There may be some discrepancies for Joint School courses. For instance, Classics and English might receive their decisions at a different time to Classics and/or English sole courses. However colleges may not release shortlisting results all at the same time, and so you should not worry if your friend at a different college has heard but you have not. Typically, for a given course, most colleges will release shortlisting decisions on similar dates, but if individual colleges are busier than expected, or have ongoing queries, they may wait before releasing results.

Shortlisting decisions are usually sent by email (although we can't be sure all colleges will do this). If you have been invited to interview then you won't see this in UCAS. UCAS does have a feature allowing universities to mark an applicant as having been invited to interview, but Oxford does not use this since we interview so many candidates. If you have been unsuccessful at the shortlisting stage then this will show in UCAS, but not until much later (early to mid-December).

We will try to keep you all updated with shortlisting decisions that we have sent, as well as providing a little foresight as to when we expect to send decisions out for other subjects, on 'The Official Oxford Applicants 2019 Thread' forum post. So please keep checking there if you want to see the current status for Brasenose applicants. Our first point above still stands though - we cannot speak for other colleges!

You need to make sure you are available during the specific slot for interviews in your subject. The interview timetable can be found online (link is at the bottom of this post). However, you should note that some colleges might invite you to arrive at slightly different times to those given. For instance at Brasenose we ask our PPE applicants to arrive slightly earlier on Sunday, in time for dinner in the evening. If you are resident in the EEA or Switzerland, or are applying for Medicine, then you will be expected to attend interview in Oxford. If there are any issues with your availability you should contact your college's admissions office now about this. If you are resident outside the EEA/Switzerland and are not applying for Medicine then you have the option of not attending interview in Oxford. The link at the bottom of the post will explain this in full. At Brasenose we ask our applicants to let us know about this in early November, before shortlisting decisions are sent out. More information will be in the acknowledgement email.

One final thing before we go - if you have something specific relating to your application that you need to discuss with your college's admissions office, we recommend sending an email rather than calling. Admissions offices are very busy at this time of year, but actually the main reason for this is that we almost always need it in writing anyway. If you call regarding your specific application you will almost certainly be asked to send the same information by email at the end of the call. If you have a general query, or are just looking for some information about the process, then a call should be absolutely fine.

So please, please do give the acknowledgement email you receive (probably tomorrow) a very, very careful read, and make sure you know exactly what you are expected to do next (if anything)!

Some general information you might find useful can be found at the following links:
    Tests: www.ox.ac.uk/tests
    Written Work: www.ox.ac.uk/writwork
    Interviews (including timetable): www.ox.ac.uk/interviews
    Interview arrangements for international applicants: www.ox.ac.uk/intarrangements
    Guidance for disabled applicants: www.ox.ac.uk/swd

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    NOTICE TO ALL 2018-19 APPLICANTS

Hello everyone,

We just wanted to give you some basic information that we hope you find useful.

Firstly, and we have to stress this - we are just one College, and other colleges may send you specific information regarding what you need to do next. Below is just a selection of things we think will be true for most applicants. We cannot speak for other colleges when it comes to things like when shortlisting decisions will be sent out - we just don't know!

Second, for those applying for A100 Medicine and BC98 Biomedical Sciences a lot of the processes are different, and the colleges won't receive applications until the interview stage. So much of the information below will not apply to you. We think the process for A101 Graduate Entry Medicine is also different, although this is not offered at Brasenose and so we aren't sure.

We (the colleges) are hoping that we can begin 'active consideration' of your applications from tomorrow (Tuesday 23rd October). What we mean by this is that we don't currently have access to your applications within our systems (they are being processed by the central University), and that we are expecting this access tomorrow. Once this happens, you should receive an email from your College, acknowledging your application and providing you with some further information - please read this email really, really carefully! If you haven't received an email tomorrow don't worry. Please wait until the end of Wednesday 24th October to contact your college - they may be facing unexpected delays. A100/BC98 applicants should instead expect to hear from the Medical School, rather than their college.

The acknowledgement email you receive might contain information on (not an exhaustive list):
    Submitting Written Work - please wait until you receive the email before trying to send it in!
    Opting for a Skype interview (for those resident outside the EEA)
    Providing your college with more information on your declared disability

For Brasenose applicants this email will be customized for your course (ie those applying for a course that does not require the submission of Written Work won't have that section in their email), but we don't think this will be the case for everyone. So don't panic if you see something in the email that doesn't apply to you! Just read it all carefully and make sure you understand what you are required to do next.

Shortlisting decisions are almost all made in the second half of November. Some courses may just creep in before then in early-mid November (typically those without a test). We try to give you two weeks notice if you are attending interviews, and the worst case should hopefully still be at least a week. Typically shortlisting decisions at a single college are released by course. This means that, for example, at Brasenose we'll send all our Biochemistry shortlisting decisions at the same time. There may be some discrepancies for Joint School courses. For instance, Classics and English might receive their decisions at a different time to Classics and/or English sole courses. However colleges may not release shortlisting results all at the same time, and so you should not worry if your friend at a different college has heard but you have not. Typically, for a given course, most colleges will release shortlisting decisions on similar dates, but if individual colleges are busier than expected, or have ongoing queries, they may wait before releasing results.

Shortlisting decisions are usually sent by email (although we can't be sure all colleges will do this). If you have been invited to interview then you won't see this in UCAS. UCAS does have a feature allowing universities to mark an applicant as having been invited to interview, but Oxford does not use this since we interview so many candidates. If you have been unsuccessful at the shortlisting stage then this will show in UCAS, but not until much later (early to mid-December).

We will try to keep you all updated with shortlisting decisions that we have sent, as well as providing a little foresight as to when we expect to send decisions out for other subjects, on this forum post. So please keep checking back if you want to see the current status for Brasenose applicants. Our first point above still stands though - we cannot speak for other colleges!

You need to make sure you are available during the specific slot for interviews in your subject. The interview timetable can be found online (link is at the bottom of this post). However, you should note that some colleges might invite you to arrive at slightly different times to those given. For instance at Brasenose we ask our PPE applicants to arrive slightly earlier on Sunday, in time for dinner in the evening. If you are resident in the EEA or Switzerland, or are applying for Medicine, then you will be expected to attend interview in Oxford. If there are any issues with your availability you should contact your college's admissions office now about this. If you are resident outside the EEA/Switzerland and are not applying for Medicine then you have the option of not attending interview in Oxford. The link at the bottom of the post will explain this in full. At Brasenose we ask our applicants to let us know about this in early November, before shortlisting decisions are sent out. More information will be in the acknowledgement email.

One final thing before we go - if you have something specific relating to your application that you need to discuss with your college's admissions office, we recommend sending an email rather than calling. Admissions offices are very busy at this time of year, but actually the main reason for this is that we almost always need it in writing anyway. If you call regarding your specific application you will almost certainly be asked to send the same information by email at the end of the call. If you have a general query, or are just looking for some information about the process, then a call should be absolutely fine.

So please, please do give the acknowledgement email you receive (probably tomorrow) a very, very careful read, and make sure you know exactly what you are expected to do next (if anything)!

Some general information you might find useful can be found at the following links:
    Tests: www.ox.ac.uk/tests
    Written Work: www.ox.ac.uk/writwork
    Interviews (including timetable): www.ox.ac.uk/interviews
    Interview arrangements for international applicants: www.ox.ac.uk/intarrangements
    Guidance for disabled applicants: www.ox.ac.uk/swd

Brasenose Admissions
    Hi,

I know this might vary at different colleges but do you know how many essays we have to submit for applying for English?

Thanks,
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by EmperorTortoise)
    Hi,

I know this might vary at different colleges but do you know how many essays we have to submit for applying for English?

Thanks,
    EmperorTortoise,

The number of pieces you need to submit is not determined by the College you apply to but instead by the course you have applied for.

If you have applied for Q300 English Language and Literature then the exact requirements can be found on the course page under the 'HOW TO APPLY' tab here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...erature?wssl=1

As you'll see, it is just one piece.

If you are applying for English with something else (such as, say, English and French) then you may need to submit more work.

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I would like to know the typical portion of college law applicants and people who get shortlisted for colleges. So for example, if 20 people apply for law at Brasesnose how many would get interviews?

Thank you for your help!
    Kevin
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kevin Fahmy)
    Hello,

I would like to know the typical portion of college law applicants and people who get shortlisted for colleges. So for example, if 20 people apply for law at Brasesnose how many would get interviews?

Thank you for your help!
    Kevin
    Hola Kevin Fahmy,

It varies from year to year depending on how well candidates do in the LNAT and other aspects of the application. Last year, 36% of applicants for Law/Law Studies in Europe were invited to interview and 29% of direct applicants to Brasenose. A related question is the odds of an offer from any college. This was 14% of applicants for all candidates and 12% for direct applicants to Brasenose. Again, the relative shares vary a bit from year to year but are generally close.

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:
    Hello (once again!)

I am having some trouble filling in the survey about interview arrangements that I received from Wadham today. Since I live in Cuba I have to start making arrangements ASAP in case I get invited for an interview. I know the colleges can notify you with only a weeks notice and tickets from Havana to London would be really expensive if I book them so close to the flight date (especially since this is high season for tourists here in Cuba). However, the internet in this country is frankly quite terrible and I am scared that if I do get an interview that I might suffer connection issues or something like that. I also read that the interviews have to be done at my school and the connection there is not good enough for Skype (Cuba is quite problematic wi-fi-wise). In the survey: Should I ask for the Skype interview? Should I travel? Any benefits to the kind of interview conducted? I was hoping you guys could give me some clarity on this situation (given the weird place I'm from there's not much on the internet that can help me out)

Thanks

PS sorry for the overload

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything from Merton yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hello again, here with another question about interviews! I was just wondering if I should start preparing for it before I know if I have one or not? I’m applying for Biology, which has a 70% interview rate plus it has no written work / exams, so many applicants get interviews. I don’t want to start looking into stuff now and then find out that I haven’t got one, but 1 week to prepare after finding out that I got one seems very short. In a subject like biology, what would put me out of the running for an interview & therefore when / should I start preparing? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I just have a quick question about predicted grades (a tad bit late). I’m an American homeschooler, and as such certain parts of my application were rather... unusual, when compared to most. In particular, my reference was unable to provide any predicted grades, because of the nature of my education. Do you think that this will matter at all? I have excellent test scores shown, and the rest of the app is filled out good and proper. Should I perhaps send an email further explaining the state of things to my college?

Thanks for your time,
    Rocco

ReputationRep:
    Hello again, here with another question about interviews! I was just wondering if I should start preparing for it before I know if I have one or not? I’m applying for Biology, which has a 70% interview rate plus it has no written work / exams, so many applicants get interviews. I don’t want to start looking into stuff now and then find out that I haven’t got one, but 1 week to prepare after finding out that I got one seems very short. In a subject like biology, what would put me out of the running for an interview & therefore when / should I start preparing? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    BrasenoseAdm LMH OXFORD I haven't heard anything from Merton yet, do you think I should email them or wait a bit longer? Thanks in advance
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by auolique)
    BrasenoseAdm LMH OXFORD I haven't heard anything from Merton yet, do you think I should email them or wait a bit longer? Thanks in advance
    Hello auolique,

First - check your junk/spam mailbox.

Assuming nothing is in there, yes, we think you could email them. We think some colleges may not have sent out acknowledgements yet so it is possible they are in this category.

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:
    Hi.....has anyone had email from Pembroke yet?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello Brasenose and Lady Margaret Hall, I have a question about my lnat. I think the essay was good, with the exception of some spelling errors, but I am worried about my conclusion. Essentially in the conclusion, I did summarise my ideas and gave my final point of view, however, while I was editing the essay I realised i didn't like the last line of my conclusion. So I was deleting the line but the test ended before I deleted the whole thing leaving the words 'furthermore this issue' as the last words of my essay. I am really worried that this might dramatically reduce my essay marks because it makes my essay look unfinished, even though those words were supposed to be deleted anyway.
    Thank You!
    Bawan

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody had an email from Jesus College yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citrus.tea)
    The ATs are probably snowed under with work atm, so I hope you don't mind my offering some thoughts. Neither the selection criteria not the process will be changed at this point, so in that sense, there is nothing new the ATs could tell you. Athough it's inconvenient that you might end up having to do some interview preparation without an interview at the end of it, it's work that you were expecting to do anyway, isn't it?

Thinking through those model interview questions might help you anticipate the change in approach that you will need to make a successful shift from school to university-level thinking. Plus, if you find yourself thinking. "This is just too boring for me", could that be a useful cue to rethink your choice of subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    The ATs are probably snowed under with work atm, so I hope you don't mind my offering some thoughts. Neither the selection criteria not the process will be changed at this point, so in that sense, there is nothing new the ATs could tell you. Athough it's inconvenient that you might end up having to do some interview preparation without an interview at the end of it, it's work that you were expecting to do anyway, isn't it?

Thinking through those model interview questions might help you anticipate the change in approach that you will need to make a successful shift from school to university-level thinking. Plus, if you find yourself thinking. "This is just too boring for me", could that be a useful cue to rethink your choice of subject?
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I have decided to start preparing anyway, because even if I don’t get an interview I still get to look into some pretty interesting facts about biology, which i genuinely enjoy learning about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citrus.tea)
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I have decided to start preparing anyway, because even if I don’t get an interview I still get to look into some pretty interesting facts about biology, which i genuinely enjoy learning about
    That's good. It is, after all, the best subject. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi BrasenoseAdm LMH OXFORD
    I'm required to send in a piece of written work for my theology application. What is meant by the word "marked" written work? I sent in a copy of my draft coursework, with teacher comments, however it wasn't graded as it was just a draft. Is this sufficient enough, or does written work have to come with a teacher's grade?
    I have already emailed my written work, so I will probably need to send in something else if it also needs to be graded.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.