jam1e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone do biomedical science at uni, and what is it like/ what jobs can you get out of it? and is there any way i could see any course material for it too so i can take a look at some of the content
Kentbiomedic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jairobyn)
Does anyone do biomedical science at uni, and what is it like/ what jobs can you get out of it? and is there any way i could see any course material for it too so i can take a look at some of the content
Hey I just graduated with a biomedical science degree Its really enjoyable (if you like science that is!)
In terms of what people are doing after their degree, all I can really tell you is what my friends are doing - a lot are pursuing further education (mostly MSc but a couple of PhDs too), a lot are applying for grad entry medicine/dentistry/vet med, pharmaceuticals (scientists/sales), scientific journalism, biomedical scientist, there’s so many options 😃
Course material will differ depending on which uni you go to and whether the course is accredited or not, but mine was centred around physiology, pharmacology, anatomy and biochemistry.
Hope this helps!
jam1e
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kentbiomedic)
Hey I just graduated with a biomedical science degree Its really enjoyable (if you like science that is!)
In terms of what people are doing after their degree, all I can really tell you is what my friends are doing - a lot are pursuing further education (mostly MSc but a couple of PhDs too), a lot are applying for grad entry medicine/dentistry/vet med, pharmaceuticals (scientists/sales), scientific journalism, biomedical scientist, there’s so many options 😃
Course material will differ depending on which uni you go to and whether the course is accredited or not, but mine was centred around physiology, pharmacology, anatomy and biochemistry.
Hope this helps!
what university did you study at? i live in liverpool so my options are mainly john moores and university of liverpool. i’m still really confused on my course options and my deadline is so soon so i’m definitely gonna get to an open day for it. would this course lead to me being qualified to work in a hospital, but not as a nurse, more for analysis and research?
Kentbiomedic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what university did you study at? i live in liverpool so my options are mainly john moores and university of liverpool. i’m still really confused on my course options and my deadline is so soon so i’m definitely gonna get to an open day for it. would this course lead to me being qualified to work in a hospital, but not as a nurse, more for analysis and research?
I actually studied at the university of Liverpool haha what a coincidence! I couldn’t recommend it enough 😄 definitely go to an open day and see if you like it!
The course is not accredited so if you wanted to work as a biomedical scientist after you’d have to do top up modules and additional things like that, I’m not sure about working in the labs in pathology/microbology etc so you’d have to look into that or maybe ask at the open day
jam1e
Rep:
?
I actually studied at the university of Liverpool haha what a coincidence! I couldn’t recommend it enough 😄 definitely go to an open day and see if you like it!
The course is not accredited so if you wanted to work as a biomedical scientist after you’d have to do top up modules and additional things like that, I’m not sure about working in the labs in pathology/microbology etc so you’d have to look into that or maybe ask at the open day
i’d enjoy to be working in a hospital environment but i just don’t understand the university process enough, i’ll definitely try to get to an open day and find out about it
SHINeexo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey.
I’m a Biomedical Science graduate too.
Personally, Biomedical Science was not enough for me as I really enjoy direct patient contact. So I’m looking to do masters now in something that can give me that.
I’d say if you’re looking for more hospital related work, then you’re better off doing another degree. As a Biomedical Scientist, you’d be based in the laboratory really only. And to have the chance of working as a Biomedical Scientist, you would need A LOT of lab experience. Most jobs I looked at, required minimum of 1 year volunteer/work in a laboratory to even consider your application for the role.

The course has a lot of material to cover, but is do-able if you enjoy learning science in-depth.

Most of my friends have gone on to study Medicine, do further studying/Masters, or just working somewhere non-Biomedical Science related.

Also, I’d look in to the accreditation a bit more if I was you. It would be a lot easier for you to study at a University that gives you accreditation. Saves the headache of having to take on further courses after you graduate just for accreditation!
SHINeexo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ps. If you want a job immediately after studying Biomedical Science, I’d recommend trying to volunteer at a laboratory whilst studying. Would be REALLY good and helpful for you
jam1e
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHINeexo)
Hey.
Personally, Biomedical Science was not enough for me as I really enjoy direct patient contact. So I’m looking to do masters now in something that can give me that.
I’d say if you’re looking for more hospital related work, then you’re better off doing another degree. As a Biomedical Scientist, you’d be based in the laboratory really only. And to have the chance of working as a Biomedical Scientist, you would need A LOT of lab experience. Most jobs I looked at, required minimum of 1 year volunteer/work in a laboratory to even consider your application for the role.

The course has a lot of material to cover, but is do-able if you enjoy learning science in-depth.

Most of my friends have gone on to study Medicine, do further studying/Masters, or just working somewhere non-Biomedical Science related.

Also, I’d look in to the accreditation a bit more if I was you. It would be a lot easier for you to study at a University that gives you accreditation. Saves the headache of having to take on further courses after you graduate just for accreditation!
would i be in a hospital lab though or a private one, or could it be both? i wanna do stuff like analysis for illnesses and diseases in a lab but i just enjoy the hospital environment, but i would not mind being in a private lab. is biomed not the right course for that type of job?
SHINeexo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on what type of laboratory it is. It doesn’t matter if it’s private - as long as you have the required experience. It’s up to you where you want to be based because ultimately you have to apply for these jobs yourself after graduating. Biomedical is the right degree for you if you have an interest in learning about the human body in depth i.e; an interest in learning the chemical structures of different bodily processes and want to research more to understand complex diseases and to cure them.

You can go on to working in a Blood Lab (haematologist), assessing blood types (receive samples from patients with blood disorders etc). Or you can go on to other laboratories such as Microbiology which deal with bacteria based samples (receive samples from patients with infectious diseases). There are many different laboratories you can go in to after graduating BUT to work in a hospital you have to have a degree with accreditation.

Ultimately, just gain work experience and do well in the degree, then you can work anywhere you like whether private or NHS Experience is the most valuable one because to work in a well known setting, it will get busy and intense, so they want to throw someone in there who’s familiar with the equipment and have that science background knowledge to ensure that all samples are assessed correctly and effectively.

I hope that helps?
jam1e
Rep:
?
It depends on what type of laboratory it is. It doesn’t matter if it’s private - as long as you have the required experience. It’s up to you where you want to be based because ultimately you have to apply for these jobs yourself after graduating. Biomedical is the right degree for you if you have an interest in learning about the human body in depth i.e; an interest in learning the chemical structures of different bodily processes and want to research more to understand complex diseases and to cure them.

You can go on to working in a Blood Lab (haematologist), assessing blood types (receive samples from patients with blood disorders etc). Or you can go on to other laboratories such as Microbiology which deal with bacteria based samples (receive samples from patients with infectious diseases). There are many different laboratories you can go in to after graduating BUT to work in a hospital you have to have a degree with accreditation.

Ultimately, just gain work experience and do well in the degree, then you can work anywhere you like whether private or NHS Experience is the most valuable one because to work in a well known setting, it will get busy and intense, so they want to throw someone in there who’s familiar with the equipment and have that science background knowledge to ensure that all samples are assessed correctly and effectively.

I hope that helps?
how do i know if it’s accredited? i don’t really understand that part, but yes thank you, that’s very helpful.

p.s, i love shinee too ☺️
SHINeexo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how do i know if it’s accredited? i don’t really understand that part, but yes thank you, that’s very helpful.

p.s, i love shinee too ☺️
The university should state whether it’s accredited or not (go on the university website). I studied at University of Keele and I know theirs is accredited. Quite a lot of universities have accredited Biomedical science courses

Haha they’re great
anix94
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hope this helps!
What masters courses have your friends gone into? I’m in my final year and have no idea what I want to do. I’m thinking of doing a masters but unsure of what to do one in. Was considering Haematology but still unsure. I wanna do something that has good job prospects and will be worth the extra time and money i put in. Any advice would be so helpful!
anix94
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey.

What masters courses have your friends gone into? I’m in my final year and have no idea what I want to do. I’m thinking of doing a masters but unsure of what to do one in. Was considering Haematology but still unsure. I wanna do something that has good job prospects and will be worth the extra time and money i put in. Any advice would be so helpful!
Kentbiomedic
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by anix94)
Epidemiology, public health, physiotherapy (to become a physiotherapist), clinical anatomy, physician associate studies (to become a physician associate)
Last edited by Kentbiomedic; 8 months ago
SHINeexo
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by anix94)
Hey,

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve just seen this.

Some of my friends went on to do Biomedical Science Masters, some Medicine. I’m currently due to start my Masters in Physician Associate (as I said I enjoy more patient contact rather than sample contact).

If you have any questions on PA please let me know & I will advise as much as I can!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (20)
6.92%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.03%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.68%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.14%

Watched Threads